Discomforting “security checks”

All of that could have happened at any time before they started doing this.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The average guest is being told and trained to open the door at the request of the resort’s employee announcing a security check. In the past this would certainly have raised great suspicions if this happened, much like it DOES for guests who don’t know about the policy today as Disney doesn’t adequately explain it upon checking in or booking for that matter.

True, but we were not forced to let anyone in who says they are a Disney security person to check the room. It was just musing over this. People are pretty trusting after all.

Keep the latch on. If someone knocks and claims they are there to do the room check, call and verify.

All of that could have happened at any time before they started doing this.

Yes, I guess it could have happened, BUT before this no one had to open the door to "security" whenever it was required. Now that the policy is in place, everyone knows you have to open your doors. I think the opportunity to take advantage of this situation is there for a criminal, moreso than before.
Sorry for the repeat answer, but my computer threw me back to another site and didn't show the first statement. grrrr.! I've been having computer glitches all am....

Yes, I guess it could have happened, BUT before this no one had to open the door to "security" whenever it was required. Now that the policy is in place, everyone knows you have to open your doors. I think the opportunity to take advantage of this situation is there for a criminal, moreso than before.
Sorry for the repeat answer, but my computer threw me back to another site and didn't show the first statement. grrrr.! I've been having computer glitches all am....
You don’t have to open the door for security if you’re not comfortable doing so. Let them know through the door. Ask them to come back later, when you’re not in the room.

No one HAS to open their resort room door to anyone. They're not going to force the door or throw you out of the resort if you don't. If you're uncomfortable opening the door or just don't want anyone coming in at that moment, for whatever reason - someone's sleeping, you're not dressed yet, etc - simply say that this isn't a good time and ask them to come back later.

As has been posted many times here, if you don't want someone just walking into the room while you're in there, use the door bar latch. It will allow the door to open a couple of inches, and you can just call out that it's not a good time for you.

Yes, I know that there are tools that can forcibly open the door latch. No Disney CM is going to do this on a routine room check. Those are used if they feel that there's a medical emergency in the room or a crime in progress.

By David K. LiJuly 15, 2014 | 11:26am
Almost three dozen Disney theme park workers have been arrested for alleged kiddie-sex crimes since 2006, according to a broadcast report.
35 people across 8.5 years, out of 50,000 employees at any given time? Just a tad over four arrests per year? Negligible.
I don’t think anybody is talking about leaving a child alone for hours at night.

Serious question. Would you really not leave your 12 year old alone for a minute or two in the middle of the day,
My parents regularly left 12 year old me home with five younger kids, in the evening. No, times weren't different then, and there wasn't less crime.
It seems we are supposed to open our doors to a person we don't know for sure is a Disney employee?
I don't know. What do you do at home? A Cast Member will have a key.

Just wrapping up a split stay (Kidani/Poly) this week. Along the way we were notified at both resorts of the daily trash service that is really a security check (a search of your room and belongings for weapons)

This is no doubt in response to Las Vegas. I’m a realist and can understand the policy although it is security theatre at best. I’ve also been a bit put off at the level of absolute disregard for our privacy. There is still a placard on the door though now it says room occupied in lieu of do not disturb and let me tell you we were disturbed 4 out of six days. We are early risers and love the afternoon swim and nap before assessing the evening plans. Four times we were woken up by a cast member entering our room without permission through the room occupied sign. I should have prefaced this with the info that is passed on to guests stating if you put the sign out this then triggers housekeeping (yes housekeeping does the “security check” not actual security) to bypass your room and place a phone call to arrange their entry to complete the Security check. Our sign was put out every day and not one day were we called on the days we were away, they came in anyway. On the days we were there pleasantly slumbering and were awoken, we politely told them we don’t want the trash service and assured them all was ok; only to find our trash emptied later that night.

We have teen aged children who we allow to stay in the room at times and now we have to worry about a total stranger from housekeeping coming in weather we want them pet not.

This policy does not make me feel more secure, in fact, we have never felt less confident in our private space here in WDW than we did I this week.

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.
Do they really search your belongings? Suitcases, etc? I understand the security issue, but I would feel violated to have my things touched, and gone through. Also, what if we are sleeping, or taking a shower? Do they try to get in the room when you are showering, or dressing? Did they knock, and wait, or just come into your room? What if you have babies that are light sleepers?

Do they really search your belongings? Suitcases, etc? I understand the security issue, but I would feel violated to have my things touched, and gone through. Also, what if we are sleeping, or taking a shower? Do they try to get in the room when you are showering, or dressing? Did they knock, and wait, or just come into your room? What if you have babies that are light sleepers?

I use the door latch whenever my husband and I are in the room. If one of us leaves for minute or two, we still use the latch. We open the latch when the other returns. It is trickier it’s a big group on different schedules. They will knock which can wake you and your family members up if sleeping late or taking a nap but that’s the new reality. Definitely use the latch when taking a shower. They may knock, and then try to open but they won’t try to come in. You probably will get a phone call afterwards.

I don't understand the flipping the light switches thing. Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of this? :confused::confused3

I don't understand the flipping the light switches thing. Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of this? :confused::confused3
Security is not always upfront with why they’re in your room. One of the more common reasons they give for their visits is they need to check your lights. So they walk around your room and flip your light switches up and down to check. Kind of dumb, but funny at times when you’re watching them do this. :rotfl:

In Paris they search all luggage of Disney hotel guests when they checkin so don’t be surprised if it ever comes to wdw
Do they? We paid for the service that drops your luggage to your hotel from the train, so, it is perfectly possible they searched it when they stored it, I just didn't know about it. They didn't seem to disturb anything in the case though.

Unfortunately we live in a world nowadays where terrible things happen to very innocent people and therefore a need for better security at popular destinations is required.

I have absolutely no problem or issue with random security checks in hotel rooms - however it needs to be done without scaring or worrying guests. The security people need to be fully uniformed, with I.D immediately visible and preferably 1 male and 1 female (though I appreciate this isn't always possible).

Guests need to feel relaxed with extra security not worried by it.

Well, you are posting this around a few boards aren’t you. Short answer here, you can read the longer on another. The big issue for hotels, especially Disney, is human trafficking especially kids. They are looking for that so searching cars and luggage wouldn’t necessarily address that. They will search when they want because warnings would only alert the perp. The stranger from housekeeping or security is a Disney employee so no real concerns there.
100% agree.

I have been inconvenienced by these checks, but given that there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop them, on our last trip, I brought along a new bathrobe to put on when they knock on my door. The more compliant and calm you are, the quicker it will be over and you can go back to sleep or resume whatever they interrupted.

You seem disproportionately up in arms about this. I just don't see the big deal here. It seems simple to me. Tell someone (housekeeping, front desk, ect) that you are going to your room to nap and will be out at x time. Problem solved. As to them checking luggage, ect: They have every right to do so. it is private property and you agreed to those terms when you rented the room.

If you fly or cruise it is likely that your things will be touched or gone through. Our suitcases were searched on our last Disney cruise and the confiscated my closet organizer I was planning to hang from the closet rod because people hang them over bathroom doors and scratch the paint. It is just part and parcel of traveling these days.

As to the rest, if you are showering or sleeping, use the security lock. They are supposed to knock and wait, then enter if there is no answer. If the lock is engaged, they aren't going to break it, but I would expect them to call and/or come back.

When I travel I carry a really high-tech device that prevents entry to my room: a $2 rubber wedge doorstop. No one opens the door to my room from the outside while I am in it.

If you have had an issue with afternoon naps being disturbed, print yourself up a magnetic "QUIET PLEASE ... Do not knock. Baby is sleeping" sign to put on the door while you nap. They will make a note and try again on the next round, which should be at least an hour later. Be fair, and remove the sign when you are out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter