Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

My woohoo is that I did my first half marathon over the weekend. I was never able to get past 9.5 miles in my training runs prior to the race so I was pretty worried. I actually stressed myself out so much that my hair was falling out. I realize that this sounds ridiculous because the worst thing that could happen is being told to leave the course because I was too slow and not being able to finish which really isn't a big deal but it's my nature to worry about things like that.

My goal was to complete the race in less than 3 hours and I finished with a time of 2:51:44.77. There were some some steep hills that took their toll on me but my 195lb self did it. I have to admit I was tearing up when I ran across the finish.

I began running at the end of January 2017 mostly due to reading @MommaoffherRocker 's story so I definitely want to thank her for giving me the spark to start this journey.

View attachment 239130

This is awesome!!!

Hello Dearies!

Well, that took a bit longer than I’d expected… I’d expected to finish up classes on the 12th, then be back with y’all around the 13th… Nope… turns out I was able to push one of my exams to the 13th, which I did because the one on the 12th was a doozie and I needed every moment to prepare… THEN the 14th was my birthday/mother’s day… and, as scheduled, I was AWFUL!!! I ate *SO* much junk, I was not quite right for 2 days afterwards… Monday I wasn’t even hungry, like my body was like “Ummm, hold off, I’m still digesting that stuff from yesterday!”

Well, instead of jumping back in with you guys on the 15th, I ended up spending ANOTHER week or so on school, because when I went to do my application for my nursing school (I couldn’t apply until I’d finished chemistry on the 12th,) it turns out that I had TWO MORE TESTS ?!?!!! to do before I could apply. One was insultingly easy, and then I took the other today… so *NOW* I can turn my attention back to what really matters—Planning this trip that I’m departing on in *31 DAYS!!!*

Despite my gustatory debauchery on the 14th, I’m thrilled to report that as of yesterday, I was *OVERWEIGHT*!!!! In fact, I was 1 lb *under* the line for that! Nobody who hasn’t been there can really get why a person would celebrate that, but I am definitely happy! (I’m also refusing to weigh in again anytime soon, because you all know how fickle the scale can be. I’ll be good, but I’m going to bask in the accomplishment and not look again for a few days, because it probably bounced right back up again today… but if I don’t look, it didn’t happen, right???)

So I have a HOST of Wednesday Wahoos for y’all:

1- I am OVERWEIGHT!!!!

2- I passed my entrance exam that I didn’t even know about until last week (tolja I’m scary-smart…)

3- I am finally starting to get everything that I’ve been hoarding for months for the trip sorted out and it feels SO GOOD to finally be making progress… I’ve been in a holding/storing/saving-up pattern for SO LONG…

4- I found seat covers that I didn’t hate for a reasonable price! (My car is the kid-mobile and is old-but-paid-for, and the seats are stained beyond redemption.) I’ve been halfheartedly looking for a while now, but I finally found 4 matching (it’s a van… sigh…) I have to get some fabric and make a throw-cover for the third-row bench seat, but it looks SO. MUCH. BETTER. Yesterday I had to take my kid to an appointment downtown, and the parking situation there is such that you HAVE to use the valet parking… and for once I wasn’t absolutely humiliated to drop off my car!

5- And also with the car, I was overdue to get it tested (state requirement) and the check-engine light was on, which is an automatic fail… well, turns out that all that was wrong was a bad sensor… so while it was $300+, that is WAY better than the $1k+ I was expecting (I repeat, it’s OLD… but paid for… so I’m holding on to it for as long as I can…) Bonus, because they disconnected the battery to do the repair, I got an invalid result when I had the test done Monday… so they gave me a month extension (just have to drive it for a week or so until there’s enough data for their computer to analyze) and waived the late fee!

6- And I *HAD* to eat Taco Bell today. Seriously, it was a requirement. I needed the Fire Sauce packets to clean our pennies for pressing for the trip! (It fit into my calories for the day, amazingly enough…)

Ok, enough jabbering. I have to sleep, so I can get up and kick the kids out in the morning and get to working on stuff for the trip. SO much to do!!! Yay!

My woohoo is that I did my first half marathon over the weekend. I was never able to get past 9.5 miles in my training runs prior to the race so I was pretty worried. I actually stressed myself out so much that my hair was falling out. I realize that this sounds ridiculous because the worst thing that could happen is being told to leave the course because I was too slow and not being able to finish which really isn't a big deal but it's my nature to worry about things like that.

My goal was to complete the race in less than 3 hours and I finished with a time of 2:51:44.77. There were some some steep hills that took their toll on me but my 195lb self did it. I have to admit I was tearing up when I ran across the finish.

I began running at the end of January 2017 mostly due to reading @MommaoffherRocker 's story so I definitely want to thank her for giving me the spark to start this journey.

View attachment 239130

That is fantastic! Way to go!!!

View attachment 239130
This brings a happy tear to my eye!! I'm so glad I could inspire you :D Awesome job on your half!!

I'm sorry I have been MIA this month! Things have been crazy with all the traveling and school activities for the kids. Seriously how much stuff are they going to try to fit in the last month!!

So today has ended up being very emotionally draining. It started out with a lot of crying, but not bad crying. My daughter is moving to middle school and today was their 4th grade farewell. With this change we will be leaving a school that I love. The teachers all have been great. SO just emotional about the transition. nothing big here. Kind of normal for me.

Well this afternoon things went south. My husband watched my sons bus go by without him getting off. We panicked. Where is our son. My husband called the bus garage and they tell him he will be dropped off last. We meet the our son at the bus stop. The driver, blocking my son from getting off, tells us the reason why he was not dropped off until last was because my son called him an idiot. Yes wrong of my son but he did not deserve this. We have no clue what this driver said to my son while alone with him. We did tell the bus garage and got a reply that they talked to the bus driver. We could not talk to anyone else because the schools were closed. So I will have an impromptu meeting with the principle in the morning. If I have to I will meet with the superintendent as well. This is not ok. We had to ask the diver to let me son off the bus. I have a friend who her husband is a Park ranger and they think we should make a police report. That it was boarder line kidnapping. We are unsure what to do. I am going to talk to the Resource Officer at my daughters school tomorrow to see what he thinks.

This afternoon I went from not wanting to eat anything to eating crap. Ugh!! I forgot to wear my fitbit but I did a ton of steps at the 4th grade farewell. Then I went walking with my friend to talk (finally had my fitbit on) and walked almost 8,000 steps. Thankfully tomorrow is the last day of school and we will drive my son so he doesn't have to be the bus.

I am so emotional drained today and tomorrow will not be any better.

I would file police report as this man really doesn't have boundaries of what is appropriate behavior with child and what not! How upsetting for you and your family. i hope your son isn't too traumatized.

He is a bus driver, that's all! He have no right to discipline your kid. If he have an issue he needs to raise it with you!!! I would be so annoyed in your situation

Happy Friday All!

I am very....I have no patience. The scale is staying put and that's annoying me. I want what I want and knowing i have earned it is even more annoying. Little bit like a toddler I guess. I read somewhere that weeks like this are like maintenance test. You are still expected to do the behaviors and no rewards for it (in terms of seeing the scale goes down). I also don't feel like doing any food prep for my work, but as we did our groceries shopping yesterday I have the food and it's just silly not to. Every other day i had my clothes out ready for me and the food prepared/boxed in the fridge but I didn't last night. It's much easier when I spend some thought thinking ahead and making it easy for myself, nearly no choice!

I do feel big improvement from the start of the month and would love to see it reflected by 1st of June but instead of going crazy, upping exercise, cutting food - I will keep doing what I am doing.

Less than month to California, I am really looking forward to it! I am going to look into what clothing we need this weekend.

Hello all - I have been popping by and reading here and there through the week - but just went through now and had a thorough catch up. Wow Friday night already - where did this week go????? Monday I had a day off with DS13 who wasn't feeling well - to be honest I was kind of relieved I had woken up super tired and it was the perfect excuse. We had a day of sleeping, laying around and playing card/board games together - much needed on my behalf. Back to work and school and then same DS13 says to me in the car on the way home Wednesday night, my arm is a bit sore I got hit with a soccer ball today at school soccer. In the craziness of dinner, homework etc. super mum here forgets all about it and he wasn't making a fuss. Later that night :idea: oops let me look at that arm. So elbow swollen, and he range of motion for flexion and extension is limited. Poked at him and he wasn't jumping out of his skin so - I am thinking some soft tissue damage from hyperextension (from his description of what happened). So decide will take him to Doctors in the morning. Wake up - still swollen and range of motion the same - no bruising obvious. Crazy day had a meeting booked for the afternoon I really had to keep - so paperwork and juggling DS13 - I debated the Drs or the hospital - but we both really didn't want to sit in emergency for ages. So decided to go with Dr.... who has a look and a feel and says hmmmm I have seen a lot of fractures lately ... lets have an xray - so :car:for an xray - xray tech says she isn't sure and I couldn't see anything obvious myself looking over her shoulder when the images came up on the computer - we have to see what the Dr says.... :car: to my meeting :car: back to the Drs... can't see fracture on Xray but growth plates could be affecting the vision so we proceed as if it is a fracture but not with a full cast - so he gets a back-slab cast, bandaged and sling! Referred to hospital fracture clinic - waiting to hear from them for appointment - they may do MRI to see if that will show us what is happening .... DS13 kind of disappointed he did not a 'proper' cast. He slept with me last night - so hardly any sleep for me as I kept waking up and making sure he was propped on his pillows properly with arm firmly in place lol. He had day off today with his grandparents and I headed to work as usual. Wow no wonder this week disappeared in a blur!!!!!

Question of the day: How did you get on last week? Would you like to report progress towards your goal? Last week is now gone, if you have made progress towards your goal - well done, lets repeat it all again! If you have not, is there something you can do differently? Would you like to set up new weekly goal for this week?

Better answering late than never - well I really haven't had a true goal this month but I did decide a couple of weeks ago I wanted to start taking better care of my skin - kids bought be skincare products for Mother's day and I have managed to use them everyday since I got them - so that is kind of a looking after myself goal that I have been achieving. I am going to put some thought in over the next few days about next month and my goals - really feeling like I need to reboot this thing!

how has your life changed in the last 6 years? Tell us one thing for you personally that has improved since 2011. And which aspect of your life do you most want to work for changing between now and 6 years in the future?

Loved reading all of your answers by the way!

So six years ago I was 38 and half way through my University degree (Occupational Therapy).
On my own with kids and had been for sometime.
In retrospect I was probably the thinnest I have been since then - but not necessarily healthy - read lots of cola and chocolate to get me through the days. My weight has gone up and down and then up up up.
I graduated on the cusp of turning 40 and managed to land a job on the coast in my desired area (paediatrics) in a job with great flexibility to juggle my kids.
Even though I still doubt myself constantly - I am recognising that since starting I have come along way with experience and capability in my role. I am starting to give back by accepting student OTs for the practical experiences as part of the degree for supervision.
My kids are all in high school now DS16 in year 11 and the twins DS13 and DD13 in year 8.
I am the mother of teenagers and can I say the last few months the boys and I have started to get that fun experience of a hormonal teenage girl in the house - some days it is hilarious and others I just want to scream :crazy2:
I have healed a lot emotionally in the this time - particularly since 2014 after scrimping, saving and charging our way to Disneyland for our first family overseas trip.
We have lost much loved family and friends some way to early - we have made wonderful new friends and had a cousin and her crazy kids come to live nearby.
All in all there have been very dark days and jump out of our skin joyful days.

In 6 years I will be 50!!! I can't believe I even just typed that.
All of my kids will have graduated high school and be in whatever that next phase of school/life brings them.
I am excited and anxious for them all at the same time.
I will likely be in a new phase of my life - not knowing what to do with myself - likely on my own for the first time in a very long time - I will share - the thought TERRIFIES me.
Most days I think I will still be single but am starting to hope that I won't be.
I want to be thinner and healthier than I am now
I hope to continue to grow in my career - but would be happy for that to be with my current employer.
We all know that somehow we will have another family Disneyland trip within that time. If not before maybe it will have to be for my 50th!!

In 2011, I was about a year post-divorce, my kids were both just out of HS, and I was laid off from my previous employer. I worked as a consultant for a few months before taking a position with the company where I work now. I have since been promoted to a management position, and am continuing to work on advancing my career. My kids are both now out of the house so it's just me and my 2 very spoiled Labs at home.

Six years from now, I would say the one thing I most want to work on is finding a stable long term relationship with a genuinely nice man. I had been with my ex for 21 years before the divorce and I have to say I'm a bit surprised how hard dating has been at this age.

Seems we have some similarities - to be honest I haven't even tried dating for the longest time - for lots of reasons - and the thought is scary - but I am also hoping that I manage to find a wonderful person to spend time with.

My woohoo is that I am going to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie tonight!! It opens officially tomorrow (all movies open on Thurdays here), but they have special previews tonight. And tomorrow is a holiday here in Germany, so I can sleep in and finally go for a run again! Did not manage to run at DLP (but walked 25.000 steps a day in the parks) and the last two mornings were horribly rushed.

Oohh - Did you like it?? Now remember it was mostly shot her in Queensland - in waters not too far from where I live :rotfl:DD13 is going with friends tomorrow. The rest of us will get there at some stage but probably not this weekend.

It is Wednesday already, isn't it? The past week has been pretty rough for me, as I've been struggling with the stress, pace and volume of work coming at me.

I hear ya - my friend o_O

This is fabulous big congratulations :jumping1:

So today has ended up being very emotionally draining. It started out with a lot of crying, but not bad crying. My daughter is moving to middle school and today was their 4th grade farewell. With this change we will be leaving a school that I love. The teachers all have been great. SO just emotional about the transition. nothing big here. Kind of normal for me.

:hug: these milestone transitions are hard.

Well this afternoon things went south. My husband watched my sons bus go by without him getting off. We panicked. Where is our son. My husband called the bus garage and they tell him he will be dropped off last. We meet the our son at the bus stop. The driver, blocking my son from getting off, tells us the reason why he was not dropped off until last was because my son called him an idiot. Yes wrong of my son but he did not deserve this. We have no clue what this driver said to my son while alone with him. We did tell the bus garage and got a reply that they talked to the bus driver. We could not talk to anyone else because the schools were closed. So I will have an impromptu meeting with the principle in the morning. If I have to I will meet with the superintendent as well. This is not ok. We had to ask the diver to let me son off the bus. I have a friend who her husband is a Park ranger and they think we should make a police report. That it was boarder line kidnapping. We are unsure what to do. I am going to talk to the Resource Officer at my daughters school tomorrow to see what he thinks.

I agree with @HappyGrape - and your friend - file the police complaint - your son was detained by someone without the authority to do so and without your knowledge - when he should have been let off at his usual stop. If his behaviour was so offensive he could have told you/your husband and/or taken it up with the school or you when the bus route was finished. That must have been scary for your son. I absolutely know that feeling of terror when kids don't get off the bus when they are supposed to. There was a mix up when we moved house and my father went to the wrong stop to get DS14 at the time - and it didn't help that when I rang DS phone it rang beside me on the couch - he had forgotten it!!! I flew from here to the stop near me - no child - sped way too fast all the way to the stop he was told to get off at - no son - the people in the nearby shop had not seen him - I was hysterical. He did the right thing and walked to my parents - my dad must have missed seeing him as he drove along the same road (but it is a busy road). We are all super sensitive to young teens and busses on the coast as just before my twins were born a 14 year old boy went missing waiting for a bus to go Christmas shopping. A dirty paedophile had coerced him into a lift and he was never seen again - sadly some of his body was found only in the last few years. That boy went to the same school my kids go to now.

Less than month to California, I am really looking forward to it! I am going to look into what clothing we need this weekend.

So jealous hope you have a wonderful time - I saw some of your planning posts in the California section - I love that last month count down phase when it gets so real :hyper:

Well I think I have made up for my absence this week and rambled enough :rotfl2:I have a crazy busy weekend ahead - I will try to stop by - have a great weekend everyone :P

Last edited:

This afternoon I went from not wanting to eat anything to eating crap. Ugh!! I forgot to wear my fitbit but I did a ton of steps at the 4th grade farewell. Then I went walking with my friend to talk (finally had my fitbit on) and walked almost 8,000 steps. Thankfully tomorrow is the last day of school and we will drive my son so he doesn't have to be the bus.

I am so emotional drained today and tomorrow will not be any better.

I think I'd go with filing a police report as well. A kid calling someone an idiot really doesn't seem like a big deal to me and based on the bus drivers actions might actually be true...

So Wednesday afternoon the dam broke (my own personal dam) and (quietly in my head) I said "screw this", and just let go of the stress and craziness that's been going on at work. I had a feeling it was as much me and how I was reacting to things as it was the things themselves and it turns out this was right on. Things were much better/calmer yesterday and today half of the people will be out an extra day to make it a four day holiday weekend, so it is going to be a lovely quiet day... and short as I'm planning on leaving early.

One of the things that's helped me calm down is getting going on pre-planning for the crafting retreat. I've been active on the group discussion board, going thru old posts on things to bring/not to bring, previous retreats and chatting with several people on ride-sharing. I've had a couple options and finally settled on riding with a gal driving from RI. Then last night she also popped up on the FB page for the year long Magic of Myth workshop I'm taking, which probably shouldn't be too much of a stretch since both the retreat and the workshop are put on by the same gal. So there will be a nice connection there. I've gotten the yarn for one of my classes and will drive out to my favorite yarn shop Saturday to get the yarn for the other. I guess it's tradition to decorate the camp with yarn bombing and other little lovely things: this year people are making and bringing flowers to scatter around. I used to make/sell felt flowers as lapel/hair pins so I've ordered the supplies and will be making up a bunch to hide around camp. I thought it would be fun to see the people who find them wearing them.

The next two weeks are going to be spent in sincere retreat preparation - eating cleanly, working on the Magic of Myth exercises, meditating, making flowers... and of course all the usual pre-trip things: hair cut/color, pedicure, general buff and polish. One of the things I've been doing is searching google images for pictures of the camp we're staying at and of previous retreats... it's kind of like being in the pre-show queue at WDW. Here are couple that just make me so happy to look at, can't wait to actually be there!

upload_2017-5-26_8-8-19.png

upload_2017-5-26_8-8-30.png

My husband talked to the assistant superintendent today and the bus driver gave a different story. SO they are trying to figure out what exactly happened. Hopefully his bus has a camera on it. I will ask my son about it when he gets home. Still the driver went over the line. The Principle at his school was a joke this morning and basically dismissed it. I talked to the resource officer and he said not to to a police report because my son was at fault and nothing would be done going that route. I am going to wait to see what my son says this afternoon and go from there. What we do know though is that neither of my kids will ever be on a school bus again. We are going to figure something out for next year and going forward. This is all just so frustrating.

My husband talked to the assistant superintendent today and the bus driver gave a different story. SO they are trying to figure out what exactly happened. Hopefully his bus has a camera on it. I will ask my son about it when he gets home. Still the driver went over the line. The Principle at his school was a joke this morning and basically dismissed it. I talked to the resource officer and he said not to to a police report because my son was at fault and nothing would be done going that route. I am going to wait to see what my son says this afternoon and go from there. What we do know though is that neither of my kids will ever be on a school bus again. We are going to figure something out for next year and going forward. This is all just so frustrating.

So sorry about this and the lack of support you seem to Ben getting from the school on this!

And sorry to everyone for my absence. This week was just crazy with lots of work that suddenly got a deadline and a visitor that needed to be entertained (a good friend of my BF is in town at the moment). The only free time I had, I have used for a run, so I hope you all understand!

Will be back in full force tomorrow to finish the month strong!

And that might be a good point in time to call out for volunteers to coach next month!! And for the rest of the summer! @HappyGrape was looking for someone to share coaching with her, that would be a good starting point! And it definitely is not necessary to have any Disney knowledge! Any theme will be great, whether it is Disney or not!

Also sorry to hear about your school being weak - that would feel so frustrating. Do you know any other families on the bus? Does your son have some friends on there who could tell you what they saw/heard? I am sure being a school bus driver is not easy - my kids tell me some of the things that go on - on their bus - sometimes the driver will yell at the naughty ones but has never not let them off. If things get too bad they report it too the school. Also - even if you son did call him an idiot I don't see how that justifies keeping him on the bus. I mean if I call someone an idiot and they beat me up - I kind of instigated it but pretty sure they can still be charged with assault. Hope you get to a resolution you are satisfied with.

The next two weeks are going to be spent in sincere retreat preparation - eating cleanly, working on the Magic of Myth exercises, meditating, making flowers... and of course all the usual pre-trip things: hair cut/color, pedicure, general buff and polish. One of the things I've been doing is searching google images for pictures of the camp we're staying at and of previous retreats... it's kind of like being in the pre-show queue at WDW. Here are couple that just make me so happy to look at, can't wait to actually be there!

View attachment 239870

View attachment 239871

Looks amazing! Sounds like you have some wonderful time planned!

@Flossbolna I can do 21 days in June but after that we are flying for California and I need someone to take over. If someone prefers full month, please go ahead and I will try to find another month to volunteer. Unfortunately June July and August I have weeks I am not around, or fortunately should I say but I can't commit to full month until September -unless someone helps me out

I read two quotes yesterday

"Weight loss and maintenance are journeys and you will never be done. Let go of the thought that there is end of all of this!"

I think ... it is true. It's harsh for sure! But true. You are never really done, things change, the plan needs to change, and losing weight the way you want to maintain it is worthy goal for me.

The second one

no further comment needed on this one.

55ddcd8ff5bc69418f32bdd8140e4a70.jpg

May 27

Pandora Grand Opening Day!!

Finally we have Pandora open and people are waiting over 4 hours to get on the rides. I think some of our regulars are there as well... I hope the masses are not too bad for them!!

I have to be honest that I never watched Avatar and was never excited about this movie being connected to Animal Kingdom. I read a little bit about the movie and one thing that stuck out to me is the backstory that Pandora has an atmosphere that is toxic for humans and therefore they use Avatars to be able to move around in that atmosphere. The main character has a physical ability in real life, but with the help of the avatar, he can more around like anyone else. I think that this is an interesting concept! So, the question for the weekend is: Is there any activity that you wish you had an avatar for because you can't (or don't dare to) do it yourself?

progress end of week 4

I won't go over my daily calories. Not even one day I went over 3 days, all Fridays. Not by much but I did
I will walk at least 15000 steps each day My average is about 19000 so well exceeding goals
I will do my minimalistic training weights (15 minutes daily, 5 times a week) Nailed this one, in fact it's not up to 30 minutes per workout
3500 calories deficit weekly goal - current deficit about 13435, vs target 14000. According to this I am about 565 calories behind but if there was any miscalculations, which I have a sneaky suspicion there were few times it will be more. There are 3 more days until the end of the month, I won't be trying to make up for it!

I am giving myself about 80% so far.

Avatar question - not in terms of fitness and health. I figured, even if you get where you want to be with miracle help from avatar, you will still have to do the things that are needed to be done to stay at this level of health and fitness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!