Disgusted with new Mickey shorts.

BigCatEars

Earning My Ears
I have to say how upset I am with the new Mickey Mouse shorts on Disney channel. My 4yo daughter and I sat down to watch it. She loves everything Disney! As do I! But by 1 minute she asked me to turn it off. I was ashamed that Mickey was in that junk. I'm sure Walt is rolling over in his grave. Am I the only one?

I thought they're just as good as the original shorts, but they do grow sorta stale.

I really don't care for them. They remind me of Ren & Stimpy cartoons which I hate. The animation is fine and the basic story lines are good, but I can do without what I call gross-out humor. My kids aren't allowed to watch Cartoon Network anymore because that's all that seems to be on there. I can take edgy, but not flat out stupid.

Count me in as someone who very strongly disagrees with the OP and the previous post.

These new Mickey cartoons are great and what he has needed for a long time. In these new cartoons, designed to harken back to the early shorts of the 20's and 30's, the mouse is going back to actually having a full-fledged personality after several years of being pigeon-holed into being not only a bland straight man, but also as nothing more than a corporate symbol and a small child's best friend. There's so much more to Mickey than all that and that's what these new cartoons are trying to do--re-establish Mickey as an actual complex character and star with lots of versatility and the people working on this new series must be applauded for their efforts!

It seems to me that a lot of people forget that Mickey was more of a racally little smart-alecky trouble-maker back in the old days and not a goody-goody. Althought Mickey is a kind soul, he can also be very impatient and actually CAN get irritated easily. It makes the situations he gets thrown into funnier and more cartoony.

As for the so-called "gross-out" bits, they're actually quite tame compared to gross-out gags in other shows like Ren & Stimpy, Spongebob, etc. Besides, the old black-and-white shorts had their share of not-so-family-friendly jokes and gags, too, often referred to as "barnyard" or "outhouse" humor. Just watch "Steamboat Wilie," "Plane Crazy," "Gallopin' Gaucho," "The Barnyard Battle" or even some of the early Silly Symphonies like "El Terrible Toreador".

I'm enjoying these new shorts and hope the series gets renewed for a second season.

I will say I agree the animation is good and having a Mickey with an attitude does for with early shorts. What I was referring to was the "gross out" gags. Burps, boogers, etc. to me it sends like Disney stooping to level they never had to.

While visiting with family yesterday, we had on Disney Channel and the new cartoons caught our attention. We loved them! The animation is fresh and the stories are appropriate for modern times.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, while cute, is very much aimed at the preschool set, and these new shorts are great for older kids. I would love to see more of them, and also any merchandise they would create to accompany the new look.

I get it now...but was I the only one who thought you were talking about shorts like the kind you wear? I thought they put some Dazy Dukes on Mickey or something. :rotfl2:

BigAlsGal said:
I get it now...but was I the only one who thought you were talking about shorts like the kind you wear? I thought they put some Dazy Dukes on Mickey or something. :rotfl2:

I thought the same too. Lol. I did not see the "shorts" yet so i cant really give an opinion.

Don't get me wrong, they are in no way perfect.
However, Disney really needed to somehow bring Mickey Mouse back as an adult orientated character, rather than just a preschool-friendly mouse. I love the animation and the stories don't differ much from original cartoons. Yes, there is a little more modern-like twists to it, but nothing that would keep me from watching. Either way, I'm just happy Mickeys back on my TV.:)

Nope, I thought that too! Took me a couple posts to realize they weren't talking about clothing!! I feel like an idiot!

I love the fact that Disney is reviving Mickey's adult character but I cant stand the animation. I think it was done better in the 20's and 30's than today. To me it feels that it was slapped together in a Fish Hooks kind of way...

I love the fact that Disney is reviving Mickey's adult character but I cant stand the animation. I think it was done better in the 20's and 30's than today. To me it feels that it was slapped together in a Fish Hooks kind of way...

Talk about expecting too much and setting one's standards way too high...

Disney is NOT going to make animation in their shows be the same in EVERYTHING! They'd get boring if it was done that way all the time.

That's the most accurate thing I've read all day. They're cute in a plot sense, but I bet Walt is rolling in his grave...

That's the most accurate thing I've read all day. They're cute in a plot sense, but I bet Walt is rolling in his grave...

No, he is not! People need to stop claiming that they know what he would or wouldn't want! The company's not a shrine to him!

Stop hating the new shorts and start loving them--they're waaaaaaaay better than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!