**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Any one else think the first event was so empty because no one thought it would be a good value? I know I assumed everyone would be at FoP, and there would be 30 minute waits at least. I wonder if now that people see how empty it really is, they will sell better and it won't actually be that empty in the future.
That’s what I’m afraid of also. I guess we will just have to wait and see

Any one else think the first event was so empty because no one thought it would be a good value? I know I assumed everyone would be at FoP, and there would be 30 minute waits at least. I wonder if now that people see how empty it really is, they will sell better and it won't actually be that empty in the future.

That’s what I’m afraid of also. I guess we will just have to wait and see

Yet, if it doesn't get at least a fair bit more popular they won't offer it after this initial slate of dates. So, if you're trip is coming up during a time they already have these scheduled and you want to attend I can certainly understand the desire to have them stay as empty as possible, but for those of us who have trips beyond early April, the feeling may be a bit different. Obviously there are those who hope these crash and burn so they stop offering them altogether, but that's another conversation.

If memory serves, this is how the first MK After Hours events were. We went to one of the very first ones offered (in April 2016) and at that time, they were giving away tickets to DVC and AP members, media entities, sometimes just random hotel guests. All the talk on the forums was that this event was going to be a bust because it was too expensive for what you got and Disney was not doing an adequate job of advertising the availability. And now look at it! So I won't be surprised if the same thing happens with the AK and HS events.

However, I definitely agree that there are a lot fewer attractions open at AK which significantly devalues the event in comparison to MK for me.

If memory serves, this is how the first MK After Hours events were. We went to one of the very first ones offered (in April 2016) and at that time, they were giving away tickets to DVC and AP members, media entities, sometimes just random hotel guests. All the talk on the forums was that this event was going to be a bust because it was too expensive for what you got and Disney was not doing an adequate job of advertising the availability. And now look at it! So I won't be surprised if the same thing happens with the AK and HS events.

However, I definitely agree that there are a lot fewer attractions open at AK which significantly devalues the event in comparison to MK for me.

Only minor clarification is that Disney did re-tool MK DAH after the 2016 debacle and lowered the cost relatively materially and has (with some exceptions) been announcing dates with ample time for planning since then.

Only speaking for myself, I’m in the wait and see camp for AK - I need to see more of a body of work over a few months. I was surprised the cost for both AK and DHS is the same as MK and am still trying to digest how I feel about that.

I’ll do AK DAH if it ever works in my schedule, but I could maybe see it being one and done or only once ever so often.... which is different than how I feel about MK which I could do every trip and feel like it was worth it.

Time will tell I guess.

Only minor clarification is that Disney did re-tool MK DAH after the 2016 debacle and lowered the cost relatively materially and has (with some exceptions) been announcing dates with ample time for planning since then.

Only speaking for myself, I’m in the wait and see camp for AK - I need to see more of a body of work over a few months. I was surprised the cost for both AK and DHS is the same as MK and am still trying to digest how I feel about that.

I’ll do AK DAH if it ever works in my schedule, but I could maybe see it being one and done or only once ever so often.... which is different than how I feel about MK which I could do every trip and feel like it was worth it.

Time will tell I guess.

We are in wait and see mode, too. It needs more. Give me some characters and skip the dang FoP pre show!! I'd be good with it then.

We'll be staying at AKL in July and would love to do it if those things are changed.

Time will tell I guess.

I believe the price has slowly crept back to where that initial price was in 2016. Won't be long it will be more expensive.

I believe the price has slowly crept back to where that initial price was in 2016. Won't be long it will be more expensive.

It hasn’t gotten back to 2016 levels quite yet. Historical pricing info is tracked here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-faq-discussion-thread.3713652/#post-59898145

2016 was $149 with no AP or DVC discounts (although they gave away so many tickets many didn’t pay this)

2017 through 9/2018 was $119 with a $30 AP and DVC discount

The current price which went into effect for 11/26+ events is $125 with a $30 AP and DVC discount

All pre-tax $ above.

Just a heads up on discounted tickets. I just purchased the DAH for Animal Kingdom January 31st. They have sold out of annual pass discounts for that day. Apparently, only so many AP and DVC discounts can be sold each night. There were a handful of DVC discounts left for that night.

Just a heads up on discounted tickets. I just purchased the DAH for Animal Kingdom January 31st. They have sold out of annual pass discounts for that day. Apparently, only so many AP and DVC discounts can be sold each night. There were a handful of DVC discounts left for that night.

Well that's interesting...

Well, darn, that was my night. I'll definitely be giving this a miss now.

Thanks for reporting. Surprised by this - MK DAH has never operated with an “inventory” of AP and DVC discounted tickets available. Nor have other hard-ticket events, like MNSSHP and MVMCP.

If others encounter similar results when booking I would very much appreciate any reports. Txs!

Wow, I had no idea discounts were allocated. Now I wish I purchased my Feb 6 night with DVC instead of AP, as I'm guessing more people have APs and I'd want to keep the discount pool open to more people. Next time I'll consider this.

Very interesting. I am almost tempted to call and book this day as an AP holder just to see what the CM says to add another DP.

If they are limiting the number of AP/DVC discounts for DAH, that's unfortunate. On the one hand, frequent visitors (such as the AP/DVC group) are an important target market for the event - particularly those looking for something different at AK and who don't mind losing the "full park" experience (not sure how many first time or infrequent visitors are spending close to a full-day admission for the much more limited park experience that AK DAH offers). On the other hand, limiting the number of discount tickets might suggest that Disney has found that's exactly the case - that attendance at these events heavily leans towards the AP/DVC crowd such that they're not generating the money expected when pricing was set due to the discounts for most attendees. On the other other hand, maybe that suggests that Disney should be lowering the cost of these things anyway and incentivizing the guests actually going (which, when you think about it, is interesting - DAH events don't make much economic sense for APs, who can go whenever - but here we all are ponying up more money for tickets on top of the cost of the APs).

Very curious to see what happens in early February when there are four DAH events at AK within 8 days - if I was looking for extremely light attendance, I'd probably pick one of those.

Very curious to see what happens in early February when there are four DAH events at AK within 8 days - if I was looking for extremely light attendance, I'd probably pick one of those.

Tuesday, Feb 5 should be particularly light, as it competes with the DVC event at Magic Kingdom and evening EMH at Epcot. I would have picked that night myself, but we want to try for the DVC event once that's bookable. If I can't get it, I might change my AK night to Feb 5. Of course, by then I'll probably have lost my discount, assuming they are limited, so maybe not.

I just want to point out that the first one was a media invited event so a bunch of media was on hand for free. So “reviews” may be a bit skewed with that. It still looks like a great event but just wanted to add that perspective.
I would trust Timtracker's video, they have a track record of saying exactly what they feel about any given event, even if they were given free admission and/or other compensation and they also disclose when they are given anything by the company involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter