Disney as a cultural phenomeom?

grizzlymd

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
This may not be the correct board, but here goes.

I am a thirty-something mother who has returned to school to complete my degree. I am taking a writing class and choose WDW vacations as my topic.

My instructor asked if I found any sources which analyze/interpret WDW as a cultural phenomenon. I have an extensive Disney library, but I'm coming up blank on this one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

perhaps look at how Disney changes classical fairytales (ie closer to real life and much more scary) and turns them into more glamorized versions.

Or write how Walt Disney himself pioneered the animated full-length feature and the theme park.

I just did a search on Disney culture at Barnes and Noble's website and found a variety of books which might spark some ideas or that you might want to look into buying or checking if a library has them. My search came up with 224 possible books. Some might help others won't.
Here is the direct link to the search I did: Barnes & Noble-Disney Culture
Some books that are listed include:
Inside the Magic Kingdom, Seven keys to Disney's success
Team Rodent: How Disney Devours the World
The Gospel According to Disney

I hope this gives you an idea of what is out there and helps you on your project.

Becky

Team Rodent might be a good book to read. I read it as a junior in high school. The author basically goes on and on about how bad and horrible the Disney company is. Its hard to read as a disney lover, but it might help you realize just how much of an impact "Disney" has on every day society.

i suggested this to someone else writing a disney paper: write about disney during WWII. some movies took on the war theme subtly or overtly, and disney put out tons of propaganda.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I second the recommendation of Vinyl Leaves . It's one of my favorite books ever (no, really). It's a look at WDW from an anthropological and sociological perspective. It's dense, a little baroque, and it covers everything about Walt Disney World - how it works, inside and out, the infrastructure, the way they manipulate reality, the architecture, everything.
It helps to have read The Social Construction of Reality , but it isn't necessary.

Despite it being a very heavy academic work, the tone is engaging; I found it hard to put down. (The writer, btw, is Stephen Fjellman.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter