Disney Designer Limited Edition Dolls - Midnight Masquerade

Sactokid599

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

I took my son to the local Disney store this weekend. I got him a little Mufasa stuffed animal. When I took him to the register I saw these really nice boxes with dolls, one of them was Belle. Since my wife loves Beauty and the Beast, I bought it as a "just because" gift. I had never heard of the Disney Designer Dolls before. After some Google searching, it seems these were part of a limited edition run (Midnight Masquerade).

My question(s) is, is there a big collectors market for these dolls? Is there anyone here that can give me any insight into if these are worth collecting or what dolls would be worth collecting?

There USED to be a big collector's market out there but with so many people buying to re-sell, it's dropped. The Midnight Masquerade dolls might go for $50+ more than original retail in the beginning, but after the hype drops down (in a few months), you'll be lucky to get retail for it.

The problem is Disney is releasing TOO MANY DOLLS and keep releasing the same characters AND they keep increasing the price every year.

For the 12" dolls, they released three 2-doll exclusive sets at D23 2019 (retail is $200 and they barely sell [now] for above retail). Then there will be five single dolls in this set: Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame), Cinderella, Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Rapunzel (Tangled), and Megara (Hercules). Of these five dolls, three of them (in different dresses) were released last year: Cinderella, Belle, and Rapunzel.

Then, we have the 17" dolls that they are releasing:
D23 Ariel
D23 Vanessa
Regular Ariel (mermaid version, which they already did in 2013)
Regular Vanessa (looks like the D23 version with some differences)
Platinum Ariel & Eric Wedding ($750!)
Tiana
Dr. Facilier

There USED to be a big collector's market out there but with so many people buying to re-sell, it's dropped. The Midnight Masquerade dolls might go for $50+ more than original retail in the beginning, but after the hype drops down (in a few months), you'll be lucky to get retail for it.

The problem is Disney is releasing TOO MANY DOLLS and keep releasing the same characters AND they keep increasing the price every year.

For the 12" dolls, they released three 2-doll exclusive sets at D23 2019 (retail is $200 and they barely sell [now] for above retail). Then there will be five single dolls in this set: Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame), Cinderella, Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Rapunzel (Tangled), and Megara (Hercules). Of these five dolls, three of them (in different dresses) were released last year: Cinderella, Belle, and Rapunzel.

Then, we have the 17" dolls that they are releasing:
D23 Ariel
D23 Vanessa
Regular Ariel (mermaid version, which they already did in 2013)
Regular Vanessa (looks like the D23 version with some differences)
Platinum Ariel & Eric Wedding ($750!)
Tiana
Dr. Facilier

Thanks for the reply! Is there any advice and/or "sub-genres" of these dolls that would be good if we wanted to start collecting as a hobby?

Thanks for the reply! Is there any advice and/or "sub-genres" of these dolls that would be good if we wanted to start collecting as a hobby?

Mainly, I would say collect what you like and want to keep. I started out with the 17" dolls and then added 12" dolls. I ended up selling many of them because I ran out of room and, fortunately, got back what I paid, so that is good! I am now selective with what I want to keep for now (although I was originally not going to get the D23 exclusive dolls and I ended up with the D23 Ariel and two of the three D23 12" Midnight Masquerade Couples).

The 17" dolls I mentioned above are releasing this year. Retail for 17" dolls has steadily increased. I think now it's $140 (started out at $100 and you got a DVD with it). The platinum set should retail for $750 (yeah, two dolls in a large box).

The midnight masquerades are $130. 12" dolls started at $60 and couples at $120, but now individuals are $120-130+.

Mainly, I would say collect what you like and want to keep. I started out with the 17" dolls and then added 12" dolls. I ended up selling many of them because I ran out of room and, fortunately, got back what I paid, so that is good! I am now selective with what I want to keep for now (although I was originally not going to get the D23 exclusive dolls and I ended up with the D23 Ariel and two of the three D23 12" Midnight Masquerade Couples).

The 17" dolls I mentioned above are releasing this year. Retail for 17" dolls has steadily increased. I think now it's $140 (started out at $100 and you got a DVD with it). The platinum set should retail for $750 (yeah, two dolls in a large box).

The midnight masquerades are $130. 12" dolls started at $60 and couples at $120, but now individuals are $120-130+.
Is it a good buy to try to get the D23 Midnight Masquerade d

Is it worth it to get the D23 Midnight Masquerade doll sets slightly above retail? Or should we wait?

To answer your question, yes. I was just asking because I didnt want to overpay too much.

So, they retailed for $200. Tax is 9-10%, so let's just go with 10%. That's $220. Shipping is pretty pricey. I know a friend shipped the Aurora/Phillip doll set from CA to TX and it was almost $60 via priority mail with insurance! So $300 or less shipped would be a good deal.

Oh, and there are four more 17" dolls coming out.

Saks 17" Frozen 2 Elsa - $395
Saks 17" Frozen 2 Anna - $395
Disney Store 17" Frozen 2 Elsa
Disney Store 17" Frozen 2 Anna

One last question. After more research I learned that the Snow White Heirloom LE doll was the 1st and the one that started this trend of releases. Is that true? What would one realistically pay for it? I found one for $600 which I feel like seems like a deal?

It seems like the Cinderella Midnight Masquerade doll is sold out, at least online. Does anyone know if I'd have better luck finding one in stores, or if there is another place (besides Ebay) to get one at a reasonable price? Thanks!

It seems like the Cinderella Midnight Masquerade doll is sold out, at least online. Does anyone know if I'd have better luck finding one in stores, or if there is another place (besides Ebay) to get one at a reasonable price? Thanks!

As of right now I'm seeing that Cinderella is available online! 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!