Disney in a wheelchair in June

DWorldObsessed

Mopey Optimist
On Monday June 6 we arrived. I wanted to rent a wheel chair from home and take it with us. This would only be 25$. DH said NO he did not need one. Once off the plane at MCO it was apparent he needed one. But still stubborn we went MK without one. Going on Monday to MK always a bad idea. We didn't have a very nice day. Tuesday at AK, rented a wheelchair. We had a great day but the walk to and from the bus was too much. Found out only a cc was needed to have a wheel chair from the POP and we could have it all week. Don't know how I missed that one. Wednsday went to MK and got confused about what enterence to use. We always had to ask as every CM told us different. Splash Mountain was the first to ask for the red and white card. We didn't want to get it as we didn't want to seem like we wanted special treatment. But it was too dificult to figure out the lines so we headed on the train an got one at City Hall. We loved it. We mostly used all fast pass lines. This was important for me as it was very hard to push a wheel chair for short distances on a ramp up and down. Disney is full of steep ramps. You have to have a head start and keep going to you get to the loading area. The only bad expereince we had was we seemed to always be at the back. Beauty and the Beast at MGM was great as we were in the front. However another family had a bad experience there. The CM's were not very helpful and understanding as their daughter was mostly blind and the CM's kept parking wheelchairs in front of them. They were very irate and the Cm's ignored them. I offered our seats to them as we were in the front next to my DH. They seemed happy someone acknowledged their concern and were fine after this even though they stayed in their seats. I think those not in wheelchairs do not get as good of attention. The mother said they were just tired of CM's ignoring them. At Honey I Shrunk the Audience, my son and DSis were not alowed to sit with us in the wheelchair row because of avialable space even though there was room and every other family was together. The CM refused to help them get to us so I had them climb over the chairs. I was mad. I was also getting tired of being in the back. It makes the effects less intense especially in Tough to be a bug. I would suggest parking your wheel chair if you can and find your own seat. The CM's don't say anything. We had some really special people help us into and out of the crowd. We had some really rude people block our path or get upset because we were not bulldozing our way through. We thanked the special ones and ignored the rude ones. WATCH OUT FOR THE MOVING WALKWAY AT SPACE MOUNTAIN! We got stuck on it. If it wasn't for a helpful tourist many people would have gotten hurt. One boy did get pinched. The foot rest got stuck on the end of the conveyor. Pirates had this too I think but we were detoured around it. Number one advice, people are rude to all kinds of people, don't take it personaly. Number two, get the handicapped card. Using a wheel chair or scooter is hard enough. Number three, do what is best for you, don't let the CM's push you around just because you had to use the wheelchair line. Uss the fast pass line if at all possible, even the other rides have alternate enterences usually around the exit. By using these lines you have plenty of time to get on and off the rides and no one is shoving you. WARNING! NOT ALL HANDICAPPED LINES ARE FASTER THAN THE REGULAR ONE! Some are slower like Jungle Cruise. HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the report.
Just wanted to clarify. If someone has a wheelchair or ecv and their only need is for an accessible entrance, they don't need a Guest Assistance Card. For some reason though, the CMs at Splash Mountain don't seem to understand that when the line reaches the stairway at the entrance to the building, wheelchair or ecv users can't go up the steps. A lot of people (us included) have been given a hard time by the CMs there. If the CM stationed at that spot gives you a hard time, ask to speak to a supervisor. We did, the original CM said she couldn't let us "cut the line" (and we actually did have a GAC because DD has other issues besides mobility). The Supervisor apologized to us and explained to the CM that she had to let all wheelchair/ecv users leave the line at the stairway point because stairways are not wheelchair accessible (DUH!). At that point, you do get taken to a back way to the entrance, but the wait is actually about the same or longer than if you stayed in line and went up the steps; we have seen people who were right ahead of us in the regular line boarding while we were still waiting to get on. So, as you mentioned, the accessible line is about accessibility; not shorter wait.
How each line/entrance is handled depends on how the attraction is laid out. But even with the same attraction, you may be routed differently depending on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are waiting and staffing at that time.

Glad to hear you had a good time anyway.

PS> There is info about wheelchairs from the resorts in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Sorry you missed it.

I am sorry to read your had so many problems while using a wheelchair at WDW. I usually use an ECV while at WDW & get a GAC. Even the times I have gone to Splash Mountain without an ECV, I have not had a problem letting a CM know I cannot "do stairs" as per the doctor. They direct us to the exit to board the ride.

DWorldObsessed said:
The only bad expereince we had was we seemed to always be at the back. Beauty and the Beast at MGM was great as we were in the front. ... At Honey I Shrunk the Audience, my son and DSis were not alowed to sit with us in the wheelchair row ... I was also getting tired of being in the back. It makes the effects less intense especially in Tough to be a bug.

Personally I find sitting in the back of the shows in the ECV gives me a good overview of most of the shows like Indiana Jones, Fantasmic, BATB, Tarzan Rocks, Bug's Life, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Muppets, Little Mermaid, etc. For most of the shows, Disney allows the wheelchair/ECV guest to get out & sit in a seat in order to experience the effects. At Bug's Life, if you sit in the back, then you see the audience's reaction to some of the effects (I don't want to spoil it for others who might not have been there yet!) before you experience them :).

I'm surprised you liked being down front at BATB considering you weren't crazy about the steep inclines for some attractions when pushing a wheelchair.

As far as being seated with your whole party, Disney usually leaves a seat or two near the wheelchair seating for a member of your party. Everyone else can sit wherever they would like. In April there were seven of us in my party. We had no problems splitting up to get seated. We just met up again outside.

Overall, I think CMs at WDW do a wonderful job accomodating guests with various needs.

DWorldObsessed said:
However another family had a bad experience there. The CM's were not very helpful and understanding as their daughter was mostly blind and the CM's kept parking wheelchairs in front of them. They were very irate and the Cm's ignored them. I offered our seats to them as we were in the front next to my DH.
Sounds to me like the castmembers were placing the wheelchairs in the designated spots for the wheelchairs. And the seats that are next to the spots are normally used for members of the wheelchair guests party. Unless the family had a GAC that stated the child needed to be seated in the front row I can understand why the castmembers may have ignored this invisible disability. Also the fact that they were irate could be very off putting. Also if it is a performance where the interpreters are present that further reduces the available front seats.

SueM in MN said:
Thanks for the report.
Just wanted to clarify. If someone has a wheelchair or ecv and their only need is for an accessible entrance, they don't need a Guest Assistance Card. For some reason though, the CMs at Splash Mountain don't seem to understand that when the line reaches the stairway at the entrance to the building, wheelchair or ecv users can't go up the steps. A lot of people (us included) have been given a hard time by the CMs there. If the CM stationed at that spot gives you a hard time, ask to speak to a supervisor. We did, the original CM said she couldn't let us "cut the line" (and we actually did have a GAC because DD has other issues besides mobility). The Supervisor apologized to us and explained to the CM that she had to let all wheelchair/ecv users leave the line at the stairway point because stairways are not wheelchair accessible (DUH!). At that point, you do get taken to a back way to the entrance, but the wait is actually about the same or longer than if you stayed in line and went up the steps; we have seen people who were right ahead of us in the regular line boarding while we were still waiting to get on. So, as you mentioned, the accessible line is about accessibility; not shorter wait.
How each line/entrance is handled depends on how the attraction is laid out. But even with the same attraction, you may be routed differently depending on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are waiting and staffing at that time.

Glad to hear you had a good time anyway.

PS> There is info about wheelchairs from the resorts in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Sorry you missed it.

That's interesting about Splash. We're not dependent on chairs, and yet we've had CMs send us through the exit of splash upon displaying a GAC. That seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Rather strange that they'd give someone in a chair a hard time and not send them through the exit.

Suzanne

Actually at Splash Mountain guests in wheelchairs/ECV's are NOT supposed to be directed to the exit anymore. They are to go through the regular queue until they get to the roped area in the back where a CM is standing and will then divert the chair through the exit. This keeps everyone in the same line and fewer traffic jams at the exit. It also allows guests in w/c's to experience some of the special effects in the queue line. As Sue mentioned, it's about accessibility and inclusion of everyone ( not a shorter wait time) and this method of entry allows as near to the same experience as mobile guests vs. sitting in the exit line in virtually one spot prior to entry and getting stampeded by those who are leaving the attraction.
Kathy

dclfun said:
Actually at Splash Mountain guests in wheelchairs/ECV's are NOT supposed to be directed to the exit anymore. They are to go through the regular queue until they get to the roped area in the back where a CM is standing and will then divert the chair through the exit.

Where is this "roped area in the back?" I usually leave the line when we get to the stairs. My knees are not supposed to do stairs as per the doctor.

JudithM said:
Where is this "roped area in the back?" I usually leave the line when we get to the stairs. My knees are not supposed to do stairs as per the doctor.
I think the "Roped off area" is the same place you are talking about. It's right before/as you get to the stairs.
They used to direct people to the exit when you got into line with a wheelchair, but they haven't done that routinely for a few years. Occasionally they might direct people there, but it's for the convenience of the CMs (like maybe they have very few people wiating at the time and are trying to have things flow smoothly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter