Disney In Talks to Acquire Majority of 21st Century Fox

I'm certain it won't happen and the DOJ will block it from happening. They already destroyed the Time Warner AT&T merger.

I'm certain it won't happen and the DOJ will block it from happening. They already destroyed the Time Warner AT&T merger.

Yes but there is a lot of speculation about there being political motivations in that. I would think the argument would be pretty easy to make here in that they aren't creating a monopoly, they are actually trying to compete against the Netflix and Amazons. That said, I've been very happy with Netflix in that I love all the documentaries, and I like the setup (which works well). I absolutely hate the Disney Now app, so Disney would have quite a long way to go to steal us over.

The only reason the Time Warner deal was blocked was due to TV stations and such. They were asked to drop CNN or Direct TV but declined leading to the block. Disney and Fox are leaving out Fox News and the main FOX station for this reason, and yes this deal will happen, it’s practically complete now.

The DOJ will likely lose that ATT/Time Warner case. Its a vertical integration, their assets dont overlap inside industries. By most accounts, it appears to based on politic and not policy.

The only reason the Time Warner deal was blocked was due to TV stations and such. They were asked to drop CNN or Direct TV but declined leading to the block. Disney and Fox are leaving out Fox News and the main FOX station for this reason, and yes this deal will happen, it’s practically complete now.
No it won't. I'll also bet you that in 5 years all the media conglomerates including Disney will be broken up until they are back to the size they began as. Disney would be better off broken up and reduced to the size it was when Walt died. If I were CEO of Disney, I'd do just that and I'd never buy any other IPs again. The DOJ is also going to win the AT&T/Time Warner case.

Last edited:
Anyone think this acquisition could eventually lead to a 5th Gate? What properties would people most like to see included from the Fox catalog?

Anyone think this acquisition could eventually lead to a 5th Gate? What properties would people most like to see included from the Fox catalog?

I don't think this would lead to a 5th gate, probably just the IP being slowly integrated into the existing parks like they're now doing with their other acquisitions. I would be excited to see Fox IP integrated though, like the Blue Sky movies (Ferdinand would especially be fun, since Disney had already made a Ferdinand short) and I bet people would be pumped to see Alien appearing again after the GMR closed. Personally, I would love to see Anastasia incorporated into the princess brand - I love disney animated movies, but I've always loved Anastasia just a little bit more.

No 5th gate as a result of buying Fox, I firmly believe all the Fox franchises like Aliens etc will stay out of the parks. They're only presence will be Movies,TV and probably merchandise.

With all the current expansions I'm now not expecting a 5th gate to even be an option for another 15 years or so

Nope, this is about streaming content and to a lesser degree movie IPs, not the parks. They arent going to compete with Netflix on Mickey Mouse and Snow White alone. They need a diverse catalog to being in as large an audience as possible.

No it won't. I'll also bet you that in 5 years all the media conglomerates including Disney will be broken up until they are back to the size they began as. Disney would be better off broken up and reduced to the size it was when Walt died. If I were CEO of Disney, I'd do just that and I'd never buy any other IPs again. The DOJ is also going to win the AT&T/Time Warner case.

I see absolutely no basis for that. There is absolutely no monopoly here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter