Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

Do you think some of these cruise excursions were a little disorganized since Disney is new to the area? I would think a cruise excursion would leave first before the rest of the ship not an hour later, seems like a pretty big disadvantage. Scotland is beautiful though. Really crowded, I would not have expected that.

I'm not sure why they had the busses leave when they did. Everything is timed and coordinated and I know at least our guide was contracted independent from the transportation company. He met us at the coach and accompanied us all the way to Edinburgh, but got dropped off right outside Edinburgh before our long drive back to port. DCL states this will happen among their details about the excursion.

My thinking is, these guides come in from the Edinburgh area to work the cruise season and it is all scheduled out as to when they start their shift - which in turn impacts our departure times. All the busses to Edinburgh seemed to leave within 15 min intervals of one another - with our Adults Only being among the last to head out.

The problem is - you arrive right when everybody else does to Edinburgh and both the castle and palace were way too crowded to enjoy. The afternoon tea was a perfect respite to get away from it all - comfortable, quiet, peaceful, with great food. Took us away from the draining chaos which was exactly what the men needed.

Last edited:
I am really late to your TR. Thank you for taking the time to provide so much information. We have the British Isles cruise booked for 2019 as a B2B with the Northern Europe cruise.

I had been trying to decide whether the best way to get to Dover would be the train from London or Disney transfer. Thanks to your information, we will definitely take the train.

I am really late to your TR. Thank you for taking the time to provide so much information. We have the British Isles cruise booked for 2019 as a B2B with the Northern Europe cruise.

I had been trying to decide whether the best way to get to Dover would be the train from London or Disney transfer. Thanks to your information, we will definitely take the train.

We just returned from our BI cruise and we traveled from London’s St. Pancras station to Dover on the high speed train. It was easy and enjoyable. A second class ticket was between $40-50 and took just an hour. The train car had comfy seating and tables and the trip passed quickly. Once at Dover Priory station, it was easy to get a taxi which took us right to the ship for about 2 pounds per person.

We just returned from our BI cruise and we traveled from London’s St. Pancras station to Dover on the high speed train. It was easy and enjoyable. A second class ticket was between $40-50 and took just an hour. The train car had comfy seating and tables and the trip passed quickly. Once at Dover Priory station, it was easy to get a taxi which took us right to the ship for about 2 pounds per person.

Thanks for this information. I am intrigued with the high speed train. Come cruise morning we will want to just get to Dover fast! Other stations are closer to our London hotel but those trains take a couple hours and make multiple stops. I love the architecture of St. Pancras station - it will be fun to start our cruise journey there.

Thanks for this information. I am intrigued with the high speed train. Come cruise morning we will want to just get to Dover fast! Other stations are closer to our London hotel but those trains take a couple hours and make multiple stops. I love the architecture of St. Pancras station - it will be fun to start our cruise journey there.

Our hotel was the Premier Inn Kings Cross directly across the street from the station. Very handy to get around London because of the tube and trains at Kings Cross. St. Pancras is next door. The morning of the cruise, it was a 10 minute walk with our luggage. We took the 8:37 train and were in Dover by 9:40. (There were two trains on the same platform going to Dover that morning leaving within minutes of each other. Be sure to ask the train staff which train is the high speed. We almost got on the slower one.) We were at the ship by 10. The cruise terminal was comfortable and welcoming.

A taxi can get you to St. Pancras easy enough. If you are a Harry Potter fan, stop by Kings Cross Station to see Platform 9 3/4 and the extensive Harry Potter gift shop next to it. It is located in the back of the huge lobby with the shops and restaurants.

I wish I could assist more with getting there by train, but hopefully @KDG has been an invaluable resource with taking the Dover Express.

Seems to be the quickest and earliest mode of transportation to get to the Port of Dover from London on embarkation day.

The Disney 2018 coaches all seemed to have left for Dover much later.

1. The DCL transfers from London city central didn't start leaving from the DoubleTree Hilton Victoria until 10:15am. (however, you could arrive at the DoubleTree as early as 9am. These transfers were available for anyone - cost in 2018 was $60/person)

2. Apparently DCL had also ran transfers from London Heathrow airport Terminal 3 for whomever could get there as well (no incoming flt requirements) - with the busses being dispatched to Dover at 11am.

Our hotel was the Premier Inn Kings Cross directly across the street from the station. Very handy to get around London because of the tube and trains at Kings Cross. St. Pancras is next door. The morning of the cruise, it was a 10 minute walk with our luggage. We took the 8:37 train and were in Dover by 9:40. (There were two trains on the same platform going to Dover that morning leaving within minutes of each other. Be sure to ask the train staff which train is the high speed. We almost got on the slower one.) We were at the ship by 10. The cruise terminal was comfortable and welcoming.

A taxi can get you to St. Pancras easy enough. If you are a Harry Potter fan, stop by Kings Cross Station to see Platform 9 3/4 and the extensive Harry Potter gift shop next to it. It is located in the back of the huge lobby with the shops and restaurants.

Thanks so much @KDG for posting this! Excellent information. I'm sure it will be a great help to those considering taking the Dover Express.
Makes sense there might be both regional and express trains leaving for Dover within minutes of one another. Really good to know what to be on the look out for.

Was it difficult managing all your luggage? I'm not too keen on the 10 min walk with bags in tow to the station. (probably because I overpack!)
Hopefully there are taxis running at that hour.

thanks again. Great to hear from a recent BI cruiser.

On another note - how was the cruise???

Thanks so much @KDG for posting this! Excellent information. I'm sure it will be a great help to those considering taking the Dover Express.
Makes sense there might be both regional and express trains leaving for Dover within minutes of one another. Really good to know what to be on the look out for.

Was it difficult managing all your luggage? I'm not too keen on the 10 min walk with bags in tow to the station. (probably because I overpack!)
Hopefully there are taxis running at that hour.

thanks again. Great to hear from a recent BI cruiser.

On another note - how was the cruise???

It was not hard at all to manage the luggage. We each just had one roller bag and a backpack of some sort. There are luggage storage areas in each train car to place the luggage. We had one person inside the car to take the luggage while another one handed them into the compartment. In that area of Kings Cross/St. Pancras, there were many people rolling their luggage around so we fit right in.

The trip was wonderful. It was a little cool, so we wore jackets each day but we felt we lucked out with the weather. The embarkation and debarkation days were clear with deep blue skies so the white cliffs were shining in the sun.

We had fabulous shoreside send offs from Cobh, Greenock and especially Liverpool! A lengthy dockside fireworks show in Liverpool was one of the trip’s highlights!

Let's get back to our trip....

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Cruise Day 3 – Portland, England

DCL Portland excursion (PT03)

Glastonbury Tor and the Cathedral City of Wells

Tour stop #1 continues – Glastonbury Tor (11:00 am to 1:00 pm)

This iconic hill has been a spiritual magnet for centuries, for both Pagans and Christians. Tales have grown out of history, becoming blended and embellished leaving the truth, whatever it was, literally lost in the mists of Avalon.
  • “Glastonbury Tor is one of the most famous landmarks in Somerset, if not the whole of the West Country
  • It's not just famous because it can be seen for miles and miles around, but also because it has huge spiritual significance for many people.
  • The conical shape of Glastonbury Tor is natural. Thousands of years ago it was an island. Before modern drainage, the Tor in winter would have towered above the flooded Somerset Levels.
  • The terracing on the hillside has been dated to Neolithic times, around the same time as when Stonehenge was constructed. It has been suggested that the terraces form a kind of maze that guided pilgrims up the sacred hill.”

The terracing is fascinating. And we were blessed with clear skies at this point. That would soon change as the rain set in on the second group about an hour later.

DSC00927.JPG

This is the infamous "maze" - in case you'd care to walk it. Said to lead to a spiritual awakening.

(stock photo 1)

tor maze1.gif

Legends of the Tor

"Beneath the hill, it is said, that there is a hidden cave through which you can pass in to the fairy realm of Annwn. There dwells the lord of the Celtic underworld Gwyn ab Nudd with the Cauldron of Rebirth.

Later tradition has it that here lies the Holy Grail brought here by Jesus’s uncle, Joseph of Arimathea. The Cauldron and the Grail were both the object of quests for King Arthur and his knights.

Glastonbury has a long tradition of being ‘The Isle of Avalon’ where King Arthur went after his last battle. The monks of Glastonbury Abbey claimed to have actually found his grave in 1191.

Jesus is said to have come to Glastonbury as a boy, traveling here with Joseph of Arimathea. Joseph was a tin merchant and had travelled to the South-West for this valuable metal."

Tor Features include:

hill challenge
spiritual energy
remains of St. Michael’s tower
panoramic views
(and wind!)

"Hill Challenge"
is putting it mildly.

At 158 meters Glastonbury Tor measures 518 feet.

Which is deceivingly high!!

DSC00926.JPG

Especially when you consider the Washington monument stands at 554 ft.

DSC05213.JPG

And there's really nothing to hold onto as you work your way up. (this was the only resting spot on the path)

IMG_0799.JPG

I had no idea we'd be climbing this high and therefore did not fully appreciate (nor fear) the height until we were nearing the top of the Tor.

DSC00945.JPG

Whoa....

DSC00958.1JPG.JPG

The tower on the Tor is all that remains of a fourteenth-century chapel dedicated to Saint Michael, a replacement for an earlier church destroyed by an earthquake in 1275

This tower having survived the test of time, is believed to be a portal between realms.

DSC00959.JPG

It felt a bit creepy as I sat inside. With the winds howling all around you - easy to see why it's believed to be haunted.

DSC00968.JPG

All I know is this whole place was a surreal experience, right down to the sheep which seem to have an aura all their own.

IMG_0790.JPG

It truly is an incredible place.

Next up. We visit the smallest city in England - with a quick bite to eat.

Last edited:
It was not hard at all to manage the luggage. We each just had one roller bag and a backpack of some sort. There are luggage storage areas in each train car to place the luggage. We had one person inside the car to take the luggage while another one handed them into the compartment. In that area of Kings Cross/St. Pancras, there were many people rolling their luggage around so we fit right in.

The trip was wonderful. It was a little cool, so we wore jackets each day but we felt we lucked out with the weather. The embarkation and debarkation days were clear with deep blue skies so the white cliffs were shining in the sun.

We had fabulous shoreside send offs from Cobh, Greenock and especially Liverpool! A lengthy dockside fireworks show in Liverpool was one of the trip’s highlights!

This is really good to know. From what you describe, I'm sure we could manage the bags as well. I love how early you were able to get on your way.
A perfect solution for those wanting to get to the port as soon as possible.

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip. The image of the White Cliffs on a clear blue day sounds perfect. I can just picture it.
And what great sendoffs from the ports of call. Fireworks in Liverpool! Wow. That didn't happen last year. Very jealous indeed.

I can't wait to hear more.

thanks.

img_0790-jpg.352223
Ahh sheep :) I love sheep I think they are so cute and fluffy looking. When I was in England my boyfriend at the time was confused why every time I saw them when we would take trains around I'd have to shout the word sheep lol. I do it here too when I'm on a highway and see cows :)

Ahh sheep :) I love sheep I think they are so cute and fluffy looking. When I was in England my boyfriend at the time was confused why every time I saw them when we would take trains around I'd have to shout the word sheep lol. I do it here too when I'm on a highway and see cows :)

That's funny you should mention shouting the word sheep. Everyone was told to be on the lookout for black sheep during our BusyBus tour out of Liverpool and if spotted you had to just shout it out on the trip to Wales. So every once in a while someone would just yell "black sheep port" or "black sheep starboard" on the bus. You'd have loved it since this is favorite pastime of yours. Definitely consider their tour if you are in Liverpool and want to visit North Wales - they are excellent.

But I swear those sheep JQ photographed look like cut outs or ghosts. Very strange mysterious surroundings at Glastonbury Tor.

That's funny you should mention shouting the word sheep. Everyone was told to be on the lookout for black sheep during our BusyBus tour out of Liverpool and if spotted you had to just shout it out on the trip to Wales. So every once in a while someone would just yell "black sheep port" or "black sheep starboard" on the bus. You'd have loved it since this is favorite pastime of yours. Definitely consider their tour if you are in Liverpool and want to visit North Wales - they are excellent.

But I swear those sheep JQ photographed look like cut outs or ghosts. Very strange mysterious surroundings at Glastonbury Tor.
I would have been in heaven lol.

I know I am late to the party but have really been enjoying your trip report particularly as I took some photos of your cruise as it passed by my home town of Largs (on the Ayrshire coast, about 15 miles south of Greenock).

edit7.JPG

Because you visited the Normandy beaches I thought you might be interested to learn that you sailed past the place where the D-Day landings were planned. About 100ft behind where that photo was taken is a building called Vanduara which was one of the 2 buildings in the town where Churchill, Eisenhower, Mountbatten and various other generals met to plan the operation. http://www.oldlargs.com/d day.html

Attachments

• P1070706.JPG
    P1070706.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 8
I know I am late to the party but have really been enjoying your trip report particularly as I took some photos of your cruise as it passed by my home town of Largs (on the Ayrshire coast, about 15 miles south of Greenock).

View attachment 356387

Because you visited the Normandy beaches I thought you might be interested to learn that you sailed past the place where the D-Day landings were planned. About 100ft behind where that photo was taken is a building called Vanduara which was one of the 2 buildings in the town where Churchill, Eisenhower, Mountbatten and various other generals met to plan the operation. http://www.oldlargs.com/d day.html
Thanks for sharing this info!

I'm late to your TR, but honestly, I'm not that sad about it as I just enjoyed binge reading through it with coffee in hand! DH & I are booked on the 2019 7 Nt. BI cruise and are so excited. Veteran cruisers, but this will be our 1st on DCL. Cannot think of a better way to experience DCL than the British Isles.

I really enjoy all the aspects of planning a vacation and your TR will be an invaluable reference. Plus, just I love how people are chiming in with additional information. I can't wait to hear more about the ports you visited. I studied abroad in Dublin, but have yet to visit any of the other ports, including London. So much to learn!

P.S. I see you flew out of JFK and thank you for making it seem doable! We live in upstate NY, about 4.5 hours from the city, and while I know prices will be better, I'm not sure it's worth the extra driving time/hassle. Something to consider though!

Edited to add: I’m so happy you loved your stateroom because we’re #2580! I was so indecisive on location because Ive always been on higher decks on other cruise lines, but couldn’t justify the price increase for this trip.

So excited to read more!

Last edited:
My sincere apologies for the sabbatical. Life seems to have taken priority these past few months.

On a fun note, JQ and I did sail the Magic Halloween on the High Seas out of NYC on Oct 24th to Bermuda so I'll incorporate some ship enhancements and upgrades with the dining, entertainment and adult fun.

Updates are on the way!

My sincere apologies for the sabbatical. Life seems to have taken priority these past few months.

On a fun note, JQ and I did sail the Magic Halloween on the High Seas out of NYC on Oct 24th to Bermuda so I'll incorporate some ship enhancements and upgrades with the dining, entertainment and adult fun.

Updates are on the way!
Life can get in the way sometimes :) How fun to compare how the ship has been upgraded can't wait to read about it.

For my honeymoon trip I've completely changed from doing a cruise to doing a land trip. We are now spending a week in London and a week in Edinburgh.

Updates are on the way!

No worries... your detailed reports are worth the wait

We're thinking about the 2020 BI cruise and your comments are all swaying me to the "do it!" side...the transportation to and from may need to be worked out...I am directionally challenged :) I would love to stay in Dover for a night...any recommendations for Dover (I apologize if this was already discussed)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter