Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

I think we paid the vat price. Next visit to the isles It's cold take out for me!

Thanks for explaining Tink. You made our visit to Dublin very special.

"Next visit to the Isles". Love the sound of that!

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

thanks. so glad you liked them. can't wait to compare more notes on this trip. Just have Windsor Castle left before we set sail.

Ok it's Friday. Who's ready for some fun?
(Windsor can wait another day)

Let's call it Amateur Movie Night!

I finally figured out how to upload JQ's videos and I've been cracking up at the Sofitel room clips.
Some of his reactions are hilarious! That's exactly how it is usually with Iron Man right alongside him.
As I've said before, the priorities for those 2 are travel, food and fun.

One thing I will say about these first 2 videos, is that you can see how big and comfortable the suite really was. Great to relax and spread out. For those planning the 2018 cruises - the Sofitel may be a perfect choice for your budget or if you have a tight schedule in London and want some extra space with a few perks for your family.

Especially since all suites come with that very nice club lounge access.

Enjoy.

Sofitel London Heathrow - Part I

Sofitel London Heathrow - Part II

And here's a really short Stonehenge video
two things I want to point out -

1. Iron Man is standing perfectly inside this white circle at the very beginning. Why? I have no idea. But that's how IM rolls! He would stand in front of stone after stone for a good while memorizing every inch of them.

2. It was a beautiful day. There was a very mild breeze but no real wind. Yet you'll notice at one point when JQ turns the camera toward the Inner Circle how deafening the sound of wind is. Seems to happen only when he's pointing at Stonehenge. (and of course now all I see is the alien grey face looking back!) It's all @85glht 's fault

Last edited:

Thank you so much for sharing! This is fabulous! We are on the 2018 cruise! Looking forward to your next installments!

Thank you so much for sharing! This is fabulous! We are on the 2018 cruise! Looking forward to your next installments!

Thanks so much and welcome! You're going to have a great cruise next year. So jealous. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip report.

And here's a really short Stonehenge video
two things I want to point out -
Seems to happen only when he's pointing at Stonehenge. (and of course now all I see is the alien grey face looking back!) It's all @85glht 's fault

See, I'm right. ;). Really enjoying your trip report! Can't wait till you get to the cruise itself!

20689660_1773584809335859_4464458251528040824_o.jpg
That engine actually jokingly gets referred to as the hall that thinks it's a castle. It's a former Great Western Railway engine and they had ones called the class clas and then ones called the Catle class which were much larger engines. The Engine used for the "Hogwarts Castle"actuallytull called Orton Hall and actully has the name palte for it stiil on the non production side of her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4900_Class_5972_Olton_Hall

See, I'm right. ;). Really enjoying your trip report! Can't wait till you get to the cruise itself!

My Stonehenge pics will never be the same! The cruise is going to be a lot of fun to relive.

That engine actually jokingly gets referred to as the hall that thinks it's a castle. It's a former Great Western Railway engine and they had ones called the class clas and then ones called the Catle class which were much larger engines. The Engine used for the "Hogwarts Castle"actuallytull called Orton Hall and actully has the name palte for it stiil on the non production side of her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4900_Class_5972_Olton_Hall

Great read! That train is amazing. Thanks so much.

For all you HP fans, here's an excellent 1 pg. article from Rick Steves' Europe titled : Where Was 'Harry Potter' Filmed?
which walks you through exact locations in and around London and throughout the UK. Very easy to read - complete with links to the various attraction sites.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/harry-potter-sites

It mentions Diagon Alley - only at Leavensdon Film Studios (WB studio @JenTen1585 visited)
The place looks incredible! website: https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/explore-the-tour/sets

Thanks so much and welcome! You're going to have a great cruise next year. So jealous. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip report.
Thanks! Looking forward to feedback on Mary Gibbons, Busy Bus and Edinburgh. Might follow in your footsteps with those!

Thanks! Looking forward to feedback on Mary Gibbons, Busy Bus and Edinburgh. Might follow in your footsteps with those!

You've picked three great choices to consider. I'll walk you through all the details to help make an informed decision. Newgrange was an incredible experience and very restrictive to visitors. Mary Gibbons is one of the few guides well known and credentialed with full site access. What a place.

The Busy Bus trip to Wales was the most entertaining tour we had. Peter is exceptional. They've won awards for this tour and they deserve it. Wait til you see Conwy Castle and all the great sites that day.

Edinburgh was hands down the most challenging of all the excursions. It's a major tourist hub with insane crowds. One thing I will say for Disney is that they afford plenty of time on your own. Enough in fact for us to sit and enjoy an authentic Afternoon Tea inside Edinburgh Castle. OMG!?! so good. (I have pics)

can't wait to showcase them all!!!

Wow! Quite a tour of the Sofitel! That guy is good. Lol.

The shower in that suite was the best I've ever encountered. It had 4 body sprayers, a hand held and a regular shower head. I could have stayed in there all day...what tour.

So cool!!! I never knew that!

You've picked three great choices to consider. I'll walk you through all the details to help make an informed decision. Newgrange was an incredible experience and very restrictive to visitors. Mary Gibbons is one of the few guides well known and credentialed with full site access. What a place.

The Busy Bus trip to Wales was the most entertaining tour we had. Peter is exceptional. They've won awards for this tour and they deserve it. Wait til you see Conwy Castle and all the great sites that day.

Edinburgh was hands down the most challenging of all the excursions. It's a major tourist hub with insane crowds. One thing I will say for Disney is that they afford plenty of time on your own. Enough in fact for us to sit and enjoy an authentic Afternoon Tea inside Edinburgh Castle. OMG!?! so good. (I have pics)

can't wait to showcase them all!!!

Edinburgh was my worst stop (which was still a good stop) because I didn't feel like I had enough time on the tour I picked (I did Edinburgh Castle and Holyrod Palace - We had enough time at Holyrod Palace, but at Edinburgh Castle, we had about 45 minutes!!! NOT enough time to even begin to cover it. It's definitely a busy city, but it's beautiful and I need to go back to explore it more!

Wow! Quite a tour of the Sofitel! That guy is good. Lol.

The shower in that suite was the best I've ever encountered. It had 4 body sprayers, a hand held and a regular shower head. I could have stayed in there all day...what tour.

Your tour is a classic. btw - Is that shower system sold in the states? and what's happening on the bucket list front? Quit admiring yourself and get back to planning!! :rotfl2:

Edinburgh was my worst stop (which was still a good stop) because I didn't feel like I had enough time on the tour I picked (I did Edinburgh Castle and Holyrod Palace - We had enough time at Holyrod Palace, but at Edinburgh Castle, we had about 45 minutes!!! NOT enough time to even begin to cover it. It's definitely a busy city, but it's beautiful and I need to go back to explore it more!

sounds like something went wrong with the timing on your excursion. We had a lot of confusion and delays with our guide, but definitely had more than 45mins. at the castle. It'll be good when we compare notes.

Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

Tour: Stonehenge at Sunrise; Oxford & Windsor Castle
(weather – sunny high 77 °F / 25 °C)

“It’s my first Castle, I’ll lead….”

If you visit the British Isles, no doubt you’ll see a castle.
All you have to do is look.

DSC02323.JPG

But there is one in particular that rises well above the rest……….dates back almost a 1000 years…………and remains the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world:

Windsor Castle

windsor1.jpg

Check it out:

As I said earlier, Windsor was never on our London radar, but it should have been. Really glad the Evan Evans tour afforded us a chance to visit

What a magnificent place. Incredible

(IM and JQ clear security and re-emerge on the Castle grounds)

DSC02364.JPG

The castle sits within Windsor City Centre – a vibrant city renowned for its exceptional shopping, restaurants and historic sites.

(rounding High Street as Queen Victoria's statue marks the entrance to Castle Hill)

DSC02349.JPG

We arrived around 1:10 pm and were dropped off in the Windsor Coach Parking Lot. We were to meet the bus back here at 3:00 pm.

20170708_145752.jpg

we had to climb a few flights of stairs (or take the lift) up to the Windsor Central rail station platform.
(FYI: you cannot use the Oyster Card here (rail or bus) - and if coming from London Heathrow terminal 5 direct transportation is via taxi or bus route 8 - rail would require transfers)
https://www.londontoolkit.com/whattodo/windsor_transport.htm

20170708_145643.jpg

This platform leads right into the Victorian Railway Station at Windsor Royal Shopping.
http://www.windsorroyalshopping.co.uk/

DSC02341.JPG

"Windsor Royal shopping is located opposite Windsor castle in the grade II listed Victorian Railway Station. Many of the original features remain including Jubilee arch, the cobbled stones and Queen Victoria's Royal Waiting Room. With over 40 exciting shops, an array of continental style restaurants, cafes and bars and an arts and craft market open 7 days a week it really is a unique, must-visit shopping experience"

After weaving through the station, you emerge at the castle walls of the Lower Ward.
Take note of the crowds This is a very popular place (especially on a Sat around 1pm)

DSC02347.JPG

We continue up Castle Hill to the Visitors Entrance - just ahead to the right

DSC02351.JPG

Unfortunately, we had already missed the changing of the guard which happened @ 11am – too bad.
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/what-to-see-and-do/the-changing-the-guard

But lucky for us - Charlotte has fast pass privileges and we avoid this crazy ticket line to get in. Awesome!

20170708_132146.jpg

continued in the next post...................

Last edited:
Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017
Tour: Stonehenge at Sunrise; Oxford & Windsor Castle

continued from previous post................

If you’ve never visited a castle before (like us) – Start Here:
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/plan-your-visit

Windsor-3-D plan edited.jpg

Our ticket included: (only exterior photos allowed)

I. The State Apartments
"Windsor Castle has been the home of 39 monarchs, and the appearance of the State Apartments today reflects the changing tastes of the Castle’s royal occupants, particularly Charles II (r.1660-85) and George IV (r.1820-30).

Charles II set out to rival the achievements of his cousin, Louis XIV, at Versailles in France. He modernised the Castle’s interiors, which became the grandest State Apartments in England, with painted ceilings by Antonio Verrio and carvings by Grinling Gibbons"

II Queen Mary's Dolls' House

"Among the highlights of a visit to Windsor is Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House, the largest, most beautiful and most famous dolls’ house in the world. Built for Queen Mary by the leading British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens between 1921 and 1924, this most magical of residences is a perfect replica in miniature of an aristocratic home."

Note
: It was the same entrance for both the doll house and the apartments.

Everyone moved in one direction. Unfortunately, we couldn't enjoy the doll house. We were packed like sardines in a very tight space trying to move around a ridiculous amount of people crowded in front of 3 sides of a miniature house which occupied the majority of the room. Nobody would shuffle forward so we had to abandon it and elbow our way out of there.

On the other hand, the state apartments are absolutely incredible. Especially St. George's Hall; the Grand Staircase; the Grand Vestibule; the Throne Room and the China Closet. IMO nothing compared to this.

20170708_140422.jpg

III. St. George's Chapel
(again no photographs)

"St George's Chapel is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in England and is particularly noted for its magnificent stone fan vaulting. It is the spiritual home of the Order of the Garter, the senior order of British Chivalry established in 1348 by Edward III.

Within the chapel are the tombs of ten sovereigns, including Henry VIII and his third wife Jane Seymour, and Charles I. At least three services take place every day. The chapel is closed to visitors on Sundays, but all are welcome to attend any of the services"

Note: we did not have a map of the chapel and the brochure makes no mention of the tombs. So make sure you don't miss where King Henry VIII and Jane Seymour are laid to rest. We found it by accident.
https://thefreelancehistorywriter.c...ry-viii-buried-and-why-doesnt-he-have-a-tomb/

DSC02394.JPG

IV. Precinct Tours
- free 30 min guided tour of precincts
V. Multimedia Tours - free audio
(we declined both (long lines) - sign up booth located just beyond the Visitors Entrance )

DSC02361.JPG

Our ticket did not include:

The Semi-State Rooms - only with tickets between Sept and March. (closed to public otherwise - too bad!)
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/what-to-see-and-do/the-semi-state-rooms

"One of the best times of the year to visit Windsor Castle is between September and March, when the spectacular private apartments created for George IV are open. These Semi-State Rooms are among the most richly decorated interiors in the Castle and are used by The Queen for official entertaining."

or The Round Tower
- only available via the Conquer the Tower Tour (Aug 1 - Sept 30, 2017 - special ticketed event)
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/whatson/event/853857/Conquer-the-Tower-Tour

What a great way to spend the afternoon! We loved it.

Entering the castle walls thru St. George's Gate

DSC02382.JPG

Gift shop; Store Tower and Winchester Tower

DSC02387.JPG

Exiting the Middle Ward thru the Norman Gate

DSC02412.JPG

Iron Man and JQ really wanted some Castle ice cream (but the line never moved so they reluctantly gave up)

DSC02400.JPG

and then had to walk by all these people sitting and enjoying some.

DSC02405.JPG

By 2:45 pm we were exited thru King Henry VIII gate

DSC02350.JPG

We'd love to visit here again. Sit_relax_eat_shop_catch the changing of the guard and spend more time at the castle and around Windsor.

There's so much to enjoy here.

Up next: an unplanned ride on the tube.

Last edited:
Amazing! We never got to Windsor Castle!! Adding it to my list of things to see when I eventually make it back to London (even if it's 10 or 20 years from now)! Did you get to go shopping there as well?
On our 2nd day (and only full day) we went to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Thames River Cruise, and then in the evening we saw Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre in the West End.
There is so, so, much to see and do in London! The possibilities are endless!!!

Amazing! We never got to Windsor Castle!! Adding it to my list of things to see when I eventually make it back to London (even if it's 10 or 20 years from now)! Did you get to go shopping there as well?
On our 2nd day (and only full day) we went to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Thames River Cruise, and then in the evening we saw Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre in the West End.
There is so, so, much to see and do in London! The possibilities are endless!!!

Yes, a definite to add to anyones list. Sadly, I sacrificed shopping for touring that afternoon. Only managed 2 things from the gift shop inside the castle.

But this is one place I would love to return to. It's the perfect spot for a quiet, all around taste of England since so much is contained in the main centre area. It's really nice to walk around at street level with the surrounding castle and other landmarks without having to go elsewhere for shoppes, cafes, restaurants etc. I believe there's a theatre as well. And you can catch the changing of the guard or even tour when the Queen is in residence. London can be so hectic. This is a great alternative. All you need is a ride to get there and back.

I highly recommend!!

Sounds like you guys had a really great day in London. I would have been right there with you if we hadn't traded it all in for Stonehenge. I'm thankful Windsor was our last stop, but I regret not ditching the bus ride back to enjoy the town, grab some dinner and take a taxi later. I think we were only 12 miles away to LHR from there. It was a tough call. One I would do differently in hindsight, but you'll see why we didn't in the next installment.

Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

Finished Tour / Hotel Return

A strange journey to the Underground

It’s now 2:50 pm and we’re headed back to the Coach Parking lot.

20170708_145119.jpg

Mini street map of surrounding area

GrpmapWindsor_0.jpg

Here's the distance from our coach parking lot to the castle.
(Rail bridge to Windsor Centre Station to the right, which should help gauge the height of the platform we were climbing to - or using the lift)

DSC02334.JPG

One of the things I liked about this parking area was that by walking up a few flights of steps, the pedestrian access points meet the castle entrance at a far less incline compared to the long uphill climbs at so many other sites. (getting dropped off by bus or taxi right in town is even better)

Example:

Castle Hill at the Visitor Entry point looking back toward High Street. (very gradual incline toward the castle right at the center of town)

DSC02352.JPG

Unfortunately, with so little time, this was all we managed to purchase from the Castle gift shop:

WC Crest Hand Towel £15.95 / WC Aerial Jumbo £1.00 = Total £16.95
(£2.83 VAT included in total)

DSC02494.JPG

This tour has officially come to a close. Time to get back.

A few things begin to happen simultaneously:
  1. JQ is trying to get in touch with the Disney rep who should be in the Sofitel lobby today checking guests in for the DCL transfers to Dover tomorrow. (this was the reason we opted not to stay in Windsor)
  2. Charlotte (our guide) along with our driver are being made aware of the road closures and traffic problems due to the Pride in London Parade this afternoon.
But we're not really paying attention to Charlotte, because we’re on the phone with guest services waiting to be transferred to the DCL hospitality desk.

And since we’re not listening, we’re not grasping what’s going on with the return drop off points for this tour.

JQ begins speaking with the Disney rep. voicing concern that we might not return to the Sofitel before 5pm, since it’s now 3pm and we’re just leaving Windsor.

He goes on to explain that the hotel concierge informed us Disney will only be set up today - from 9-5pm - to check in guests for the transfers, and they won’t return tomorrow on the day we sail.

Remember we’ve never done this before and have nothing to go on regarding how this whole process works.

So we wanted to go over a few things in case we missed the DCL rep – such as:
  • Given that we booked our hotel directly with the Sofitel, were we automatically accounted for on the DCL transfers list? If not, could she add us?
  • Can we check in now over the phone before she leaves for the day?
  • What are the instructions regarding the pickup procedure tomorrow?
The DCL rep happily tells JQ she’s surprised to be receiving a phone call at the Sofitel and that no one has ever called her there before.
She corrects the hotel, and assures him that she is always there both days – the day before and the day of the cruise, and that she won’t be leaving the Sofitel until 7pm tonight.

She confirms our names were on the list and there is an envelope for us with instructions. So drop by when we arrive back this evening.
If we happen to miss her tonight, this envelope will be delivered to our room and she'll be on hand when we cruise tomorrow to assist as well.

That's a relief. Well worth the phone call.

And here's JQ checking in with the DCL rep at the Sofitel and receiving his envelope.

sofitel10.jpg

sofitel9.jpg

A big plus for using Disney transfers!

Now back to Charlotte…………….

Our tour bus is well underway en route to London. We’re not far now. We notice our guide walking from guest to guest inquiring as to where they're headed home to.

When Charlotte gets to us, we tell her Sofitel - LHR Terminal 5 to which she replies, “you’re Earl’s Court.”
Earl’s Court? Wait. “No, we’re the Millennium Gloucester stop”. Charlotte repeats, “right. We’re dropping off at the Underground: LHR is Earl’s Court - Piccadilly Line.”

JQ says to me, “guess we’re taking the tube. Good thing the Disney rep is there ‘til 7.”

Omg!?!

Apparently, this is common practice with Evan Evans and we failed to read the fine print. They drop guests off at the closest rail/bus stop.
This can come as a surprise to a lot of guests and they've received several negative reviews about it. So be forewarned!!

Our group was given 3 Underground drop off pts: Blackhorse Road / Kings Cross / Earls Court

Remember this map? It might need to become your new best friend.

That map is a great tool to get a basic sense of where you are when names are casually dropped regarding areas in and around London.

I will tell you now, I was slightly panicked, feeling late to the game with getting dropped off at an unfamiliar rail station. Charlotte was talking pretty matter of fact with everyone, so I figured they must know something we didn't. I say nothing - hoping JQ is picking up on all this.

Being in this state of mind, I of course forget the name of our stop the minute Charlotte utters it and draw a blank trying to remember it as our bus rolls into town.

Blackhorse Rd is announced as the first stop.

I turn to JQ, "Blackhorse Road?....that's not our stop, right?"
JQ: No. that doesn't sound like it.
PI: "What!?! I thought you were registering the name? I have no clue."
JQ: Can't remember what she said.

bus pulls away

PI: "Quick!?! Think!?! We have to figure this out."
JQ: It's definitely not the first one. I'm pretty sure we're last
PI: "why not ask that guy? (pointing next to us). Maybe they have the same stop we do"
JQ: No. I'm not asking anyone. I'll know it when I hear it.

(yeah right. Like either of us could decipher Kings Cross vs Earls Court - we don't know London - we never got the chance to tour it)

Lucky for us, Charlotte does another walkthrough and repeats we're, Earl's Court - Piccadilly Line.
Thank you Charlotte! (we tipped her 10 pounds)

Honestly, you don't realize you have a great tour guide until the complete opposite shows up. (wait 'til we get to that guy)

We get dropped off in front of this hotel:

underground 6.jpg

uh - this doesn't look like the tube station. Where are we??

underground 7.jpg

Everybody crosses the intersection and keeps walking. We quickly follow.
(Didn't want a repeat of Heathrow airport with us winding up all alone.)

Down this mystery street
(Which I’ve since learned is Earl’s Court Blvd - so that's good)

underground11.jpg

JQ says he thinks he sees the tube entrance up ahead.

To be continued…………………..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter