Disney Magic 13-night Eastbound Transatlantic May 13-26 2018

Thanks for starting this thread. My wife and I am booked for this, our second EBTA. We love the itinerary! Any thoughts if Ducky Williams might be on board?

Bill

Hello! My family and I will be sailing this itinerary. It will be: Me, DH, DS, DD, MIL & FIL.
This is our 6th cruise, haven't don't longer than a 7 night so we are super excited to be on this 13 night cruise!

Glad to meet others on this cruise! DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary and will be doing B2B2B cruises on the Magic and the EBTA is our second leg! We will have our boys with us, 4 and 8 next year. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Wow! How exciting! 3 back to backs!! We will be celebrating our 18 year anniversary on this cruise as well - May 16th. So we are excited.

Glad to meet others on this cruise! DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary and will be doing B2B2B cruises on the Magic and the EBTA is our second leg! We will have our boys with us, 4 and 8 next year. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hi everyone! Just passing by to say hi. We just booked this cruise and are super excited. We have sailed DCL, but this is our first super long cruise. Can't wait to get to meet you. I will be sailing with the hubby and baby girl. So looking forward to this trip <3

Hi Everyone! :wave: DH and I just sailed on the 2017 EBTA and enjoyed it so much that we booked this one, too! Best of all, good friends (dinner mates from our 12-night 2015 Baltic cruise) have booked, as well!

We had amazing weather and calm seas entire EBTA (9 total sea days on that itinerary). There is so much to do that we were never bored on the sea days. In fact, while in our first port after six sea days and on our Ponta Delgada excursion (which was pretty amazing), we found ourselves itching to get back to the ship to resume our fun and relaxing onboard life. :goodvibes The only downfall of the whole trip is turning the clocks back an hour on six different nights. :faint: Oh yeah... that... and having to debark on the last day, as usual. :sad:

Can't wait for this cruise!! :boat:

Any thoughts if Ducky Williams might be on board?

He wasn't on the 2017 EBTA. We were told he's completely retired now. But, anything can happen... and I fully believe in Pixie Dust... so I'll continue to remain hopeful that he'll join us on this cruise! :sunny:

DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary and will be doing B2B2B cruises on the Magic and the EBTA is our second leg!

You are living my DREAM!!! I'm trying to talk DH into doing the 4-nt right before this cruise as a B2B. Currently, he is a firm "no"... but... I will continue to work on him... and I still believe in Pixie Dust!!!! ;)

Welcome Aboard, Bellecruiser! I love the Baltic cruise!! We did the Baltics when it first came out in 2010 as a 12-nighter and enjoyed it so much that we booked it again in 2015 (12-nights, also)!! Can't wait for this EBTA!! :)

Having just debarked from the 2017 EBTA, I am already well into the planning stages for this 2018 EBTA cruise. :) I'll post what I hope will be some helpful info for your planning. Let's start with what kind of weather we can hope for. Of course, everyone who cruised or were crew during the infamous 2016 EBTA are still talking about their cold, rainy weather and scary high seas experience. However, that course was much farther north. We had quite the opposite experience last month on our warm, calm easterly sailing. With this cruise starting even farther south from Miami, and ending farther south in Europe, I'm expecting warmer temps and comparably calm seas throughout. According to the end-of-cruise brochure we received on the next-to-last night of our sailing, here were the 2017 EBTA weather stats with my personal comments in brackets:

Day 1, May 13, Embarkation in Port Canaveral: SSW Winds, Partly Sunny, 78ºF/26ºC [I would have called it mostly cloudy. There was a threat of rain, so the Sail Away Party was moved to the Atrium. The skies never did more than a light sprinkling.]
Day 2, May 14, At Sea: E Winds, Partly Cloudy, 77ºF/26ºC
Day 3, May 15, At Sea: SW Winds, Partly Cloudy, 72ºF/22ºC [We thought the weather was absolutely perfect!]
Day 4, May 16, At Sea: N Winds, Partly Cloudy, 72ºF/22ºC
Day 5, May 17, At Sea: S Winds, Partly Sunny, 72ºF/22ºC
Day 6, May 18, At Sea: SW Winds, Partly Cloudy, 72ºF/22ºC [DH and I began to suspect the Magic's thermometer was broken since the temperatures never changed.]
Day 7, May 19, At Sea: SW Winds, Partly Cloudy, 72ºF/22ºC
Day 8, May 20, Ponta Delgada: S Winds, Partly Cloudy, 63ºF/17ºC [This is our first port on the 2018 EBTA, too!]
Day 9, May 21, At Sea: S Winds, Partly Cloudy, 63ºF/17ºC [From here, we'll head due east to Lisbon instead of northeast.]
Day 10, May 22, At Sea: N Winds, Partly Cloudy, 63ºF/17ºC [All our ports will be much farther south!]
Day 11, May 23, Portland, England: W Winds, Partly Cloudy, 57ºF/15ºC [It was cool, just a light jacket needed.]
Day 12, May 24, Dover, England: W Winds, Partly Cloudy, 63ºF/17ºC [I would have called it mostly sunny and quite warm. No jackets needed.]
Day 13, May 25, Amsterdam, Netherlands: NE Winds, Partly Cloudy, 72ºF/22ºC [Seriously? The same temps, AGAIN??]
Day 14, May 26, At Sea: NE Winds, Partly Cloudy, 54ºF/12ºC
Day 15, May 27, Copenhagen, Denmark: SW Winds, Sunny, 74ºF/23ºC

We are going on this cruise! It will be our 3rd EBTA. We go on them every other year, on the even years. We have been on the 2014 and the 2016 ones. Bellecruiser, I hope this one doesn't have the high seas like we had!
We will have our adult children, daughter age 27 and son who is turning 23 and graduating from college the day before the cruise leaves! We are also taking our daughter's boyfriend, and this will be his first cruise.
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hi Deb T,

I hope our cruise is as warm and sunny as yours. However, I was on the 2016 EBTA, which went the Northern route, and know it can be rough and cold. It is all part of the fun of anticipation!!! Can't wait for this cruise!!!

Hi Deb in IA,

I remember you well from the 2016 EBTA! It will be fun to sail together again. I will be with my hubby and two sisters again. We had so much fun, so I am excited about doing it again. Before the EBTA we are going on a 3 day Bahama cruise during Thanksgiving with our kids and nieces and nephews. It all seems so far away, but I know it will come soon.

Time changes...
Since our cruise will be traveling east, we will ultimately lose six hours during our cruise. :faint: Fortunately, this is done gradually. :thumbsup2 On this year's ETBA, it seemed to me the :worship: Captain offered us a break on time changes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean :boat: and also by not scheduling them on nights before a port day whenever there was a Sea Day available instead (we had nine glorious sea days on that cruise!). Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, though, since it's also been reported that he's required to stay on local time throughout, even in the middle of the Atlantic. :confused3 So, based on what happened the last ETBA and from what I can assume will happen on this cruise, here is my best educated guess on how our time changes will occur. Please remember, this is only a guess.

Day 1, May 13, Embarkation in Miami: We begin on Eastern Standard Time with no time change tonight.
Day 2, May 14, At Sea: lose one hour
Day 3, May 15, At Sea: lose one hour
Day 4, May 16, At Sea:no time change
Day 5, May 17, At Sea: lose one hour
Day 6, May 18, At Sea: lose one hour
Day 7, May 19, At Sea: no time change
Day 8, May 20, Ponta Delgada: I think we'll change clocks tonight. If not, it will be tomorrow night.
Day 9, May 21, last Day at Sea: I think we would have changed clocks last night. If not, it will be tonight.
Day 10, May 22, Lisbon: lose one hour for the last time!
Day 11, May 23, Cadiz: no time change
Day 12, May 24, Malaga: no time change
Day 13, May 25, Ibiza: no time change
Day 14, May 26, Barcelona: no time change

Can't wait for our cruise!!!

Last edited:
It would be really nice if the Capt gave us a break at some point. I remember it was a lot of change in a short time, BUT the good news is we were totally adjusted by the time we got there.

Sunrise... sunset... swiftly flow the days....

Disclaimer: I probably could have reached a good estimate for sunrises and sunsets for the sea days, but honestly didn't put in the effort. With all the time changes, I doubt I'll see any of the sunrises, anyway! :angel:

Day 1, May 13, Embarkation in Miami Sunrise 6:36am ~ Sunset 7:58pm
Day 8, May 20, Ponta Delgada Sunrise 6:29am ~ Sunset 8:49pm
Day 10, May 22, Lisbon Sunrise 6:19am ~ Sunset 8:47pm
Day 11, May 23, Cadiz Sunrise 7:12am ~ Sunset 9:31pm
Day 12, May 24, Malaga Sunrise 7:04am ~ Sunset 9:25pm
Day 13, May 25, Ibiza Sunrise 6:34am ~ Sunset 9:08pm
Day 14, May 26, Barcelona Sunrise 6:23am ~ Sunset 9:13pm

For anyone planning to spend some time on a beach :beach: here are the high/low tide forecasts for while we're in the various ports:

Day 1, May 13, Embarkation in Miami: High tide 7:39am, Low tide 1:28pm
Day 8, May 20, Ponta Delgada: Low tide 12:03pm
Day 10, May 22, Lisbon: Low tide 2:11pm
Day 11, May 23, Cadiz: High tide 11:35am, Low tide 5:48pm
Day 12, May 24, Malaga: High tide 12:11pm
Day 13, May 25, Ibiza (I couldn't find accurate tides)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!