Disney Magic 7-night Mediterranean, June 23rd, 2018

scgustafson

DIS Veteran/DCL Platinum
I guess I am the first, so here goes, I am Scott will be sailing with my wife and daughter (13 at cruise time). We are from Chandler, Arizona and this will be cruise number 12 for us. Our other cruises were/are:
  • 4-night Bahamas on Disney Dream - September-October, 2012 (Earned Silver)
  • 7-night Alaska on Disney Wonder - June, 2013
  • 7-night Eastern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - October, 2013
  • 12-night Mediterranean on Disney Magic - June, 2014 (Grand Slam complete)
  • 4-night Bahamas on Disney Dream - October, 2014 (Earned Gold)
  • 7-night Northern Europe on Disney Magic - June, 2015
  • Inaugural 12-night British Isles on Disney Magic - June, 2016
  • Inaugural 8-night Western Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - October, 2016
  • 11-night Southern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - June, 2017
  • 4-night Baja on Disney Wonder - October, 2017 (Will earn Platinum)
  • 3-night Baja on Disney Wonder - October, 2017 (Back-to-back with above)
  • This one
Looking forward to seeing who else is sailing with us. Feel free to use this group to setup FE and other exchange groups, as well as tastings and meet-and-greets.

We booked this last night. This will be our 7th cruise with Disney and our first non-Caribbean or Bahamian. I'm Mike and will be sailing with my wife and two kids (DD17 & DS12). We are from the Philadelphia suburbs.

Starting to look at pre-cruise activities and although it is too early to book flights, I highly suggest checking out google flights, especially for multi-city/ open jaw itineraries.

I booked this cruise this morning. This will be our 5th DCL cruise! Second European cruise after doing the inaugural British Isles cruise last summer.

Traveling besides me (DW) will be my DH, DD who will be 7 and DS who will 3.

Rome has been on my bucket list for a very long time.

A work colleague of mine who did a semester in Rome sent this to me and I'd thought I would share....I wonder if Disney will offer any pre-cruise excursions in Rome?

-------------------------------------
Okay here is the greatest guide to my favorite city in the world. Roma: La Citta Eternale

Rome can seem intimidating at first, it is kind of crazy, but give it a chance and I think you will be in amore also.

Recommended books -

Cheap Eats Italy: Sandra Gustafon – they are out of print/a few years old but the recommendations are still very good.

Heat: An Amateur cook in a chefs kitchen (novel, but my favorite restaurant is in here - Checchino)

Rick Steve’s Italy or Rome

Dining options –

Pizza -

(Trastevere) Pizzeria Ai Marmi – classic Roman must try pizza, famous for the pizza with the egg on top. It is legendary.

Pizza al Forno in Camp de Fiori (when facing the two the “original” is on your left with a simple “forno” sign above the door. You will not be disappointed. (La Vineria in Campo is a GREAT wine bar, but don’t be the American tourist that hangs out in Campo the whole trip!)

Dinner – the golden rule in Rome is avoid anywhere that has a menu turistico or pictures of the food outside. The food has been heated up by microwave and you will be so sad. Basically skip the places with pics, wander down an alley, find mostly people speaking Italian and you will be golden.

Eating in the Jewish Ghetto is always a good decision, check Rick or Sandy’s recommendations

Checchino dal 1887: if you eat dinner at one restaurant in Rome, choose this one. This is where in the book Heat (in case you don’t have time to read it before) Mario Batali sends one of his chefs to learn Italian cooking.

Angelina’s a Testaccio – This is to the left of Checchino in Tastaccio – This is where the REAL DEAL ITALIAN LOCALS eat. They won’t speak English but they have a menu translated. GET THE TIRAMISU here. You’re welcome. There is another outpost of Angelina’s that opened near the center of Rome that is also spectacular

Easy/Classic Roman food for cheap, can you get any better: Pizzeria Montecarlo (I go here EVERY visit)

Deserts -

Gelato – Blue Gelato is always a safe bet there are several throughout the city. Look for somewhere busy and you will be in good shape. One of my fav’s is a small shop when facing the Pantheon head on to the right of it.

Tartufo – the original tartufo was created at a restaurant in Piazza Navona – consult a guide book to remind you which one. It is something like Il Fratelli and is in the middle of the far long side if the square.

Note: Always say yes to Panna, it is Italian whipped cream and it is amazing.

Must see sights –

I highly recommend bike tours if there is one available, one of the best ways to see any city efficiently and not feel guilty about carb loading

Obvious must sees: Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican/St Peters, Piazza Navona

My favorite museum is the Borghese Gallery, if you like smaller museums and Bernini sculptures you will adore this place as well. Plus the walk is through a beautiful park.

Cooking class - Andrea Consoli, Executive Chef, Cooking Classes in Rome, www.cookingclassesinrome.com – this class beats the Coliseum on Trip Advisor for things to do in Rome, just saying J

Florence: Trattoria Mario – bistecca ai fiorintina (this is a MUST DO / Lunch only spot get the steak), Il Latini – great dinner spot, but there will be a crowd outside waiting to get in. Verrazano: Wine/Cheese/Sandwich shop, cool place to check out for lunch. Trattoria Sostanza: Awesome, new favorite we found last time – Pollo ai burro (chicken with butter) was amazing. Check out the leather market, Duomo, Uffizi and Accademia (David) – I would try to make reservations online in advance for Uffizi and Accademia.

You definitely need to go to Cinque Terre. Buy the Rick Steve’s Book for there if you decide to go. It is a great resource. We stayed in Vernazza when we went but all of the towns are special and lovely.

Buon viaggio e tanti auguri!

[/QUOTE]
Recommended books -

Cheap Eats Italy: Sandra Gustafon – they are out of print/a few years old but the recommendations are still very good.

Your colleague left out a letter, it should be Sandra Gustafson.

Your colleague left out a letter, it should be Sandra Gustafson.[/QUOTE]

thanks I will let her know...Especially since I am assuming you are Sandra :)

Hey all-we will be joining you as well. Me, DW, DS (15,11,8 at sailing).

Looking forward to ideas for booking excursions directly. This will number 10 for us!

Hey all-we will be joining you as well. Me, DW, DS (15,11,8 at sailing).

Looking forward to ideas for booking excursions directly. This will number 10 for us!
I will look I may have saved some info from a previous med cruise that we had plan to take but then cancelled. Another DISer, gave a lot of private excursions/ tours for various ports.

Found it, originally posted on a June 2011 cruise by Andrew DEREK UK. Given the time, some of this may no longer be valid.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is links for private tours, I posted one in 2006 but deleted it and cannot find it but this one here is similar and is partly based on a post by MV_Photon who put a lot of work into it.

Barcelona
www.pepitotours.com/private-tours-barcelona.html Jose Soler
http://wwguides.com/forums/member.php?u=243
www.gobarcelona.com/
• BCNtour-taxi Armando Panedas
(34) 60-419-756 armandopanedas@vodafone.es
www.barcelonatourguides.com/ Patrick
http://www.taxiinternacional.com/eng...ernacional.htm Angie

Naples (Pompeii)

• I used www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio Caponera , Fabrizio

http://driveamalfi.com/ Salvatore Lucibello, Adriano, Roberto
www.drivesorrento.com/ Nello Russo
www.seesorrento.com/chi_sono_eng.html Marcello Maresca, Eugiene, Marco
www.aptours.it/Site/default.asp?Lang=EN Alberto
www.francescomarrapese.com/excursions.htm Francesco
www.pleasantravel.com/index.htm Mariano Fiorentino
www.jackthedriver.com/ Jack, Lorenzo Bianco
www.benvenutolimos.com/ Giovanni
http://www.sorrentocardrivers.com/Si...lt.asp?Lang=EN Raffael
www.cuomonet.it/ Renato
http://aldotaxi.net/ Aldo
www.driverinrome.com …but avoid Guiliana
http://tourofitaly.com/
www.hiddenitalytours.com/ Mariano Fiorentino

ROME Train station is close to the port

The main train station in Rome is Termini. From there, take the underground (Metropolitana):

Colosseum: take Line (Linea) B to the Colosseo station. The Colosseum is across the street.

Vatican: take Line A to the Ottaviano station. It's a 15-20 minute walk.

I would recommend anyone wanting to go to the vatician to book a private tour with an official tour guide who can get you in before the opening time of 10am.

The queus are long but you jump this I was in at 8.40am.

Civitavecchia (Rome)

www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio Caponera , Fabrizio

http://www.drivinguide.com/shore_excursions.htm
www.driverinrome.com/ Daniele Melaragno, Remo (his father), Pepe, Manny
http://romeinlimo.com/ Duman & Carlo
www.romelimousineservice.com/ Max Leotta
www.romecabs.com/ Stefano Costantini
www.romeconnection.com/ Marco
• Don’t miss the Scavi Tour (Vatican necropolis):http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...040112_en.html

La Spezia (Florence / Pisa) –Book the tower of Pisa online in advance Pre-book to Leaning Tower of Pisa (available 45 – 16 days in advance): www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/index.jsp

• I used www.papillonservice.com/ Lisa, Roberto

www.florencetour.com/ Paola Migliorni
www.abcwine.it/off shore.htm Carla Giomi
www.tuscanyinmypocket.com/ Guido
• Marcello Grandini Marcello.tourguide@tiscali.it
www.tuscanybytaxi.it/ Ricardo
www.sunflower-tours.com/services.htm Giovanni Sirabella
www.limoinrome.com/home.htm Claudio
• Giovanni Bassi - architect & urban historian G.bossi@dada.it
• Alessandro Cammilli alecamma@hotmail.com
• Pauline Priore paulinep@tin.it
• Pre-book tickets to Ufizi and Academia Galleria:www.florenceart.it/
Dial 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) 055-294-883 during the hours of 8:30 AM -6:30 PM M-F & 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time.

Villefranche (Monte Carlo / Cannes / Nice)
• I used www.dream-tours.com/layout.php?page=106&lang=us Alain, Frederic, Jean Marc
• Or try this if doesn’t work http://www.dream-tours.com/
www.revelation-tours.com/cruise.html Michel LeGrand, Isoline
www.azur-guides-interpretes.com/ Sylvie DiCristo
www.riviera-prestige-tours.com/ Eva Devemy

I guess I am the first, so here goes, I am Scott will be sailing with my wife and daughter (13 at cruise time). We are from Chandler, Arizona and this will be cruise number 12 for us. Our other cruises were/are:
  • 4-night Bahamas on Disney Dream - September-October, 2012 (Earned Silver)
  • 7-night Alaska on Disney Wonder - June, 2013
  • 7-night Eastern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - October, 2013
  • 12-night Mediterranean on Disney Magic - June, 2014 (Grand Slam complete)
  • 4-night Bahamas on Disney Dream - October, 2014 (Earned Gold)
  • 7-night Northern Europe on Disney Magic - June, 2015
  • Inaugural 12-night British Isles on Disney Magic - June, 2016
  • Inaugural 8-night Western Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - October, 2016
  • 11-night Southern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy - June, 2017
  • 4-night Baja on Disney Wonder - October, 2017 (Will earn Platinum)
  • 3-night Baja on Disney Wonder - October, 2017 (Back-to-back with above)
  • This one
Looking forward to seeing who else is sailing with us. Feel free to use this group to setup FE and other exchange groups, as well as tastings and meet-and-greets.

Since you did both the Bahamas and the Mediterranean cruises before, can you please confirm that this cruise will have the Grand Marnier Souffle?

Since you did both the Bahamas and the Mediterranean cruises before, can you please confirm that this cruise will have the Grand Marnier Souffle?

It is standard on Lumiere's rotational dinner menu. But I have personally never ordered it on any cruise.

We booked this last night. This will be our 7th cruise with Disney and our first non-Caribbean or Bahamian. I'm Mike and will be sailing with my wife and two kids (DD17 & DS12). We are from the Philadelphia suburbs.

Starting to look at pre-cruise activities and although it is too early to book flights, I highly suggest checking out google flights, especially for multi-city/ open jaw itineraries.

This will also be my family's 7th cruise non-Caribbean or Bahamian and I'm freaking out (with nervousness and excitement). Just booked last night... It will be myself DW, DH, DD18(as time of sailing), DS12, and DS11. I don't even know where to start for planning.... I want to arrive 2 days early and then stay about 1 or 2 days. Any suggestions/tips from anyone would greatly be appreciated :-)

Awesome. My son will be 13 at the sailing.

If it's your 7th cruise, you certainly have more experience than I do! Only been on 2 cruises (Bahamas and Alaska) and never a Disney cruise. Planning to do 3-4 night in Rome and Barcelona on either end.

We booked this cruise while on board the Northern Europe cruise last month so this will be our second cruise. We are really looking forward to this itinerary! It will be me, my husband, our 7 year old daughter, and our 5 year old son.

We are on this cruise! It will be our first DCL Med cruise, and we are also on the next week's cruise. It is the first time we booked B2B. We want to pace ourselves a bit, rather then take a port adventure every day. We are senior citizens who love cruising DCL. We have booked 3 nights in Rome to get a taste of Rome that way, rather than by a port adventure.

Thank you for the links, they are helpful!

Bobbi

Booked our pre cruise stay!

Welcome to the exclusive "Urban Resort" of the Parco dei Principi Grand Hotel & Spa, overlooking Villa Borghese and located in one of the most refined areas of Rome.

My husband and I are on the cruise also! We've barely begun our pre-trip planning. Any thoughts on flights yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter