Disney predictions: What did you get totally wrong?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
So, good or bad, what Disney World prediction were you most wrong about? I bring this up because I just got back from DCA and riding Mission Breakout. (Granted, not a DW prediction, but that’s what brought the question to mind…)

I’m a huge fan of ToT and I was VERY SKEPTICAL when I heard about the overlay at DCA. Overlays seem like a cheap approach in the first place. Then, taking a uniquely Disney ride and splashing the “hip” new IP on it. Uggh. That just reeked of an ill-thought out cash grab. I was disappointed with Disney. I was scared for ToT in Orlando. In my view, the Mission Breakout overlay was everything that is wrong with modern Disney exemplified in one move. It just smelled really bad all the way, top to bottom.

Boy was I wrong.

Totally wrong. Dead wrong.

They nailed this ride. It wasn’t a cheap overlay, it was a brilliant reimagineering. I’ve been lucky enough to visit 8 of the 12 Disney theme parks (DL/DCA, DW, and Tokyo). Not everyone will like it, of course, but for my money, Mission Breakout is the best ride in all of the Disney empire (with Radiator Springs nipping at its heels). It’s not the most cutting edge or the most eye-popping. But it is the most fun. My wife said that I was both screaming and laughing out of control for the entire ride. I can’t think of a single thing anywhere in my life that made me (1) rock out (2) laugh and (3) scream all at the same time. For a person who works long hours in the real world, that sort of cathartic uber-fun is invaluable.

I just can’t say enough how wrong I was and how much I loved that danged ride. You can argue about how well it fits into that are of the park (and that does matter), but given that the whole area is being rethemed, I’m not worried about it. Throw in the random ride profiles, the rock tunes, and the party-esque vibe, and I’d probably ride that thing 5 times a trip if I could. I hope they never undo ToT in DW, which I love, but if I could only ride one version ever again? Sorry to be unfaithful ToT, but Mission Breakout is my new love.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So what’s your “boy, was I wrong about that” Disney prediction?

Yeah, I wanted to hate it too. I'm not a Marvel fan at all and was really annoyed with the idea of the overlay. I've never seen GOTG and still don't plan to, but dang it the ride was a ton of fun!

When Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen was new and I looked at the menu, I thought it looked weird not in a good way and that I wouldn't like it. I gave it a chance anyway, and it instantly became my favorite restaurant at the MK, and one of my favorites in all of Disney World. Both the food and the themed decor are great. Some trips I even go there twice!

not me but Disneyland Paris fans / regular visitors. Disneyland Paris was the only Disney park which didnt have Jack Sparrow or any Pirates movie references. Many Disneyland Paris fans / regular visitors didnt want any changes and thought it would ruin the ride, they wanted to keep their original ride the way Walt created it.

Well Jack Sparrow has arrived now, and as far as I can see, most Disneyland Paris fans / regular visitors now love the new updated Pirates ride

I was sure that nothing could ever replace how I felt about Wishes. I was devastated to hear it was leaving! However, I walked all the way back to the bus station practically dragging my jaw on the pavement the first time I saw HEA! The new technology combined with a beautiful sentimental soundtrack blew me away. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I was totally wrong and now Wishes is a more distance memory than I ever thought it would be! :blush:

I did not want to like the Avatar part of AK. We visited in September and I fell in love with the rides and the area itself. Completely beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!