Disney Queens and Kings Are Not Very Nice

limitdis

Mouseketeer
Frozen:
Because 1 guy, who probably wasn't elected, did something bad, (the old guy in forzen with the glasses),
this guy:
elsa-tells-the-duke-of-weselton-that-his-kingdom-will-no-longer-be-the-main-trading-partner-of-arendelle.jpg

Queen Elsa said they will no longer do business with all the people in the town of Weaselton.
There are probably plenty of great, honest people there who have been doing business with the town Elsa lives in for years, maybe even generations, but now, just like that, those honest people's contracts are gone. The ironic part is, the people of weaselton probably didn;t elect, nor probably want that guy to represent them in the first place.

Queen Elsa gave Kristoff
hqdefault.jpg

the new ice delivery contract...the previous guy, probably did nothing wrong and had been doing it for years...but just like that....his contract is terminated. It definetely pays to know the queen or anyone close to her.

Sleeping Beauty:
Because the king's daughter had trouble with a spinning wheel, the king put a prohibition on all spinning wheels.
spinning-wheels_1.png

So, the people had to go without them, probably for years, even though they were probably being used for productively by the people. The prices of clothing and blankets and sheets probably went through the roof. I'm sure a black market of crappier spinning wheels popped up where people could make crappier things with them since they had to do it in secret and in hiding. All people who sold spinning wheels and used them as a way to make a living were ruined with one quick stroke of the pen.

Actually it was perfectly appropriate when the governments representative try's to bring down your kingdom to halt trade. Trade deals come and go. They weren't exclusive trade partners, just close. They will survive and do business elsewhere. I'm sure when this buffoon is replaced a new deal will be arranged. See Frozen 2 for more information. :)

There was no official ice delivery man before Kristoff. so no one was replaced. He will work delivering for the Queen and staff, the ice cutters and other ice delivery people will continue to work just fine.

Spinning wheels. That one is weird, but it is a curse against the poor man's daughter. I would certainly think about it. There must be other devices for spinning wool. And I am sure the good king compensated anyone for lost work due to not having a spinning wheel. In fact the king probably employed a large number of people to spin by hand in place of the wheels and ensured high employment! He is a good king and loves his people as well as his daughter.

See. It's all fine. :)

Interesting observations and discussion. This opens up a a real can of worms regarding how the entertainment industry presents the world to their audiances. That would be a great thread to start to see what everybody thinks, but it is probably best discussed on a different board. To address the specific points by the posters above:

1. The story of Frozen seems to take place in a theocracy with all levels of royal familes and aristocracy. Aristocrates are not elected, and the power they have is not given to them by their subjects, it is taken by them from their subjects. (Subjects, not citizens... big difference. The saying is that if the people in government fears you kicking them out of their offices, you are a citizen, if you fear the people in government kicking you out of your home, you are a subject.) Anyway, to get to the point, trade sanctions and tarriffs and embargos are imposed by the people in governments in our real world all the time, wheather those people were elected or not. Did you vote for the sanctions on Russia, Iran, or the long term santions on Cuba? Cigar merchants have suffered for years under the Cuba embargo. This doesn't make these trade sanctions right, it just means that autocratic power is not limited to kings and queens.

2. Naming Kristof Royal Ice Master and Deliverer --- Even Kristof said that "That's not a thing." It sounds like a meaningless title given as a thanks for his helping Anna. Kind of a empty gift, unless she attached real power to controle the entire kingdom ice business. We don't know. Many Citations of Merit or Certificates of Appreciation or Certificates of Achievement are handed out in our world. And colleges give out honorary Doctorates all the time. We just don't know what was attached to Kristof's new title, but from Kristof's reaction to it, he didn't seem to think much of it.

3. Sleeping Beauty --- Still haven't seen it. But as far as ordering all the spinning wheels destroyed... Our EPA and other nonelected beurocratic agencies are continually making rules and regulations that carry the weight of law ranging from what type of light bulb you can buy to how much soda is in your cup to how much water your toilet can flush.

Bottom line is that autocratic power is wielded by all forms of goverment.... if the citizens/subjects allow it. What seems to happen is that the people in power subdivide the poeple out of power into groups and it is then a juggling act to take from one group and give to another, wheather it is taking land or goods or granting priviledges to some while placing restrictions on others. Most recent example is the Obamacare laws that we are now becoming subject to, except for the dozens of subgroups of the population that have been granted exemption.

Notice I don't refer to the government as an entity all its own. It is not capable of indepentent action any more that a car can be involved in an accident by itself, or a plane can crash by itself or a corpration can act on its own. it is the PEOPLE in controle that act (and the people who follow the orders of those in power). this brings up another question... What constitutes power? Titles are just names if people don't follow the orders. Could it be that it is fear of what someone who does follow the orders will to if we say no that makes up real power?

Anyway, see what I mean about this could be a long and interesting thread discussion.

The worst in Frozen is what the King and Queen do to their children, on the very bad advice from the trolls. "Oh, our child was injured playing with her sister. We better seperate them FOREVER and never let Elsa out of her room because she's DANGEROUS!" That's like locking your kid in a bubble because he wrecked his bike, or sending him to prison because he punched his brother. This parenting style caused all the problems in the movie in the first place!

The worst in Frozen is what the King and Queen do to their children, on the very bad advice from the trolls. "Oh, our child was injured playing with her sister. We better seperate them FOREVER and never let Elsa out of her room because she's DANGEROUS!" That's like locking your kid in a bubble because he wrecked his bike, or sending him to prison because he punched his brother. This parenting style caused all the problems in the movie in the first place!

I have heard this mentioned a number of times, and on the surface it a terrible thing to do, but this isn't real life. The parents aren't so bad. They were doing the best they could.

The trolls said avoid fear and learn to master, and that her powers could be good.

It never said Elsa couldn't ever leaver her room, or that she never saw Anna ever. They just didn't have a close relationship, play, or spend down time together. They may have seen each other at functions, during schooling, etc., we don't know for sure. Elsa also saw some of the staff that was left.

Their oldest daughter had a terrible power that could kill anyone instantly and even at some distance! She couldn't control it. That is a little bit more than wrecking your bike or punching your brother!!

They didn't kill her, put her in an asylum, send her to live with the trolls. They raised her, and loved her, and tried to teach her. They separated the children until Elsa could master her powers. She was consumed with fear and was never able to master them. Should she have been allowed to play with and accidentally kill her sister?

Obviously they made mistakes that fed the fear instead of helping her master her skills, but there was no easy answer. Maybe Elsa didn't respond to attempts to have her be calm and gain control. Maybe the only thing they could figure out was to try and conceal. What were they to do: Let her out and kill a few dozen of the staff or a few hundred of the townspeople if something went wrong!?

They were not bad nor evil. They loved both their children and did their best. We see both parents loved both children and both children loved their parents. Like real life they were imperfect and made mistakes in raising their children. But they did love them.

Rather than vilify the parents, there is a lesson to be learned that even loving parents can make big mistakes. We should all evaluate carefully how we deal with uniqueness and difficulties in our children's lives. All parents should prepare ahead of time to make good decisions and show love and support for their children regardless of what may come.

I think if they had emphasized love, as Elsa learned at the end, they would have helped Elsa master her gift. But maybe they didn't know, or maybe they could not get beyond their own fear. Sometimes a parent fears so much for their children they don't allow proper growth and freedom.

I have heard this mentioned a number of times, and on the surface it a terrible thing to do, but this isn't real life. The parents aren't so bad. They were doing the best they could.

The trolls said avoid fear and learn to master, and that her powers could be good.

It never said Elsa couldn't ever leaver her room, or that she never saw Anna ever. They just didn't have a close relationship, play, or spend down time together. They may have seen each other at functions, during schooling, etc., we don't know for sure. Elsa also saw some of the staff that was left.

Their oldest daughter had a terrible power that could kill anyone instantly and even at some distance! She couldn't control it. That is a little bit more than wrecking your bike or punching your brother!!

They didn't kill her, put her in an asylum, send her to live with the trolls. They raised her, and loved her, and tried to teach her. They separated the children until Elsa could master her powers. She was consumed with fear and was never able to master them. Should she have been allowed to play with and accidentally kill her sister?

Obviously they made mistakes that fed the fear instead of helping her master her skills, but there was no easy answer. Maybe Elsa didn't respond to attempts to have her be calm and gain control. Maybe the only thing they could figure out was to try and conceal. What were they to do: Let her out and kill a few dozen of the staff or a few hundred of the townspeople if something went wrong!?

They were not bad nor evil. They loved both their children and did their best. We see both parents loved both children and both children loved their parents. Like real life they were imperfect and made mistakes in raising their children. But they did love them.

Rather than vilify the parents, there is a lesson to be learned that even loving parents can make big mistakes. We should all evaluate carefully how we deal with uniqueness and difficulties in our children's lives. All parents should prepare ahead of time to make good decisions and show love and support for their children regardless of what may come.

I think if they had emphasized love, as Elsa learned at the end, they would have helped Elsa master her gift. But maybe they didn't know, or maybe they could not get beyond their own fear. Sometimes a parent fears so much for their children they don't allow proper growth and freedom.

I never said they were evil, just reactionary and stupid. We all have the power to harm others, even as children. My big sister used to put me through the wringer...sometimes with the potential for great harm. The movie just does not convey that the parents did anything but sequester one child, plus erase the memory of and continuously lie to the other. They did let their fear rule their decisions, and ruined their children's lives, or at least childhoods. It may have been a metaphor and it was necessary for the narrative, but it does not cast them in a positive light.

The charaters acted the way they did because the writers wrote the story that way. Why did they write the story that way? I don't know. We can put any motivation behind the actions that our immaginations can come up with. And just because we enjoy a story doesn't mean we agree with the actions or motivations of the characters. I enjoyed most of the Harry Potter series, but could never identify or bond with any of the main characters as individuals. Yes there are lots of logical flaws and plot flaws in most movies/stories. Luckily many are addressed in the How it Should Have Ended series on youtube.

Go to How it Should have Ended -- Frozen on youtube.

Go to How it Should have Ended -- Frozen on youtube.

I came here to post it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ThvBNZdGcQ

I like the tie in they did in the second half, it's actually what I was thinking the whole time I watched Frozen.

For the record, I like this series and some others like it, but I take them with a grain of salt; it's a lot easier to pick someone else's work apart than to create something yourself.

My all time favorite is How Superman Should Have Ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yavK0mnE3wI

I suppose they aren't human, but Mufasa and Simba are great kings. Then there is the Great Prince and Bambi (although not rulers, they are equally respected by the forest). However you do make good points about the other King and Queens being bad.

Most Disney queens are obsessive with power and beauty. Poor Elsa is so upset about her powers that she thinks people will think she is evil because of them. I don't recall any of the local or people standing up to that old fool from Weasel town or that Prince. They weren't even citizens of the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter