Disney Resorts vs. Offsite

emmalgin

Mouseketeer
Am a subscriber to Consumer Reports. Just reviewed their Hotel ratings. Poor Disney scored 80 with upkeep getting an above average grade and Value, Problems and Service getting average grades. This should have people up in arms, taking to the streets..... (LOL).
Embassy Suites scored higher (Excellent and above average in all categories).

As for moderate Hotels Homewood scored the highest with Residence Inn (Marriott), Hampton and Courtyard (Marriott) close behind.

Holiday Inn and Clarion did not score well.

This was overall chain results not specific, but thought you'd like to know.

Maybe from Consumer reports standards, but do they factor in for the MAGIC???

No it was a survey based on 41,000 respondants. Sorry not everyone blinded by the Magic. And trust me I argue on behalf of Disney always with my friends. Just laugh at some on this board and their myopic allegiance to WDW.

It's that allegiance that Disney counts on, and they do get it, in droves, which is why they can charge what they do.

It's all people's preferences I suppose. Personally, I've never found the resorts to have any major shortcomings at all. I know people's mileage varies though and there will naturally be a fair share of bad experiences as there are anywhere. Obviously, the biggest premium is convenience and they charge you through the nose for it if you want a decent (moderate class or above) hotel room. It's the same with choosing a house in a metropolitan area. My boss lives less than 2 miles from our office, but his house easily costs 3 times what mine does. I live 20 miles from the office and have to deal with a longer commute everyday. However, my house is also about 60% bigger than his and my yard is 3 times bigger (at a 1/3 the cost.) I could live closer in, but I'm willing to lose out on some of the convenience factor because I can get more house for the buck living farther out.

We've always stayed onsite and will be doing so again next time because it's part of our land/sea cruise package. However, we'll also be going down a day early and staying in a very nice 2 bedroom Marriott suite for only $139 a night. I realize $139 is still not exactly cheap, but a room of that class in WDW would easily be about 3 times that. And since we plan on just crashing/resting up in our hotel that first day I wanted to make sure we got a nice place. So we'll finally have a chance to compare. Maybe next time we'll stay off site if the drive's not too bad. I DO think there's something fun and special about staying on site and since it's not like we go down there all the time, I don't mind splurging a little when we're there for the convenience factor.

Those hotel chain rankings sound about right, although I've personally always thought Embassy Suites was always EXTREMELY overrated. Very cheap beds, furniture and general amenities at most of the ones I've stayed at. I'm a Marriott Rewards member so I naturally favor Residence Inn and Courtyard most of the time although I do like Hampton Inn as well. Of course, any hotel chain can have exceptions and these are most common in busy areas that are constantly full.

Maybe from Consumer reports standards, but do they factor in for the MAGIC???

Gawd! OK, sprinkle more pixie dust on dust bunnies, they may turn into something later.

It takes more than magic to upkeep the place in comparison to other hotels, so I guess they did figured it in but it was not enough to call it a winner in terms of service and value standards. Magic won't pay the room bills anyhow.

Thanks for the heads up, emmalgin. I think it is time that Disney stops taking so much for granted and expecting guests to turn their heads every time they slack off. They have already taken away plenty.

Wanda

As I see it most hotels from I-Drive are no more then 20 minutes to the "Magic" at 1/3 the price. We have a 2-br and enjoy not fighting for the TV if I want some downtime or getting a drink or snack from the fridge and sitting at a table. Also no falling over suitcases and the key.... Some private time with my spouse on holidays, when she can't complain about work stress or our too busy lives and can relax (Hahaha).

I just get a kick out of the people who think Disney can do no wrong. Personally I was surprised Disney Hotels did not do better considering what I read on these boards. I thought they were on par with the 4-Seasons in reading these boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter