Disney Resorts will start charging for parking?

There are already threads on both the resorts and DVC forums that are easy to find - not sure there's a lot of value in another thread.

Not hanging out on other boards at the moment, thanks for inquiring, I had not heard of this yet. I really thought that's what part of the resort fee was for? Guess I'll have to do some research to see if they are thinking of lowering it now that only folks that are using the benefit are paying for it rather than all subsidizing it (haha)

OK so honestly this could be a game changer for us. We are planning a 2 week Florida vacation and were thinking of staying 10 nights on site at a value. I've priced a Disney Springs hotel for the same time and the difference is around $1000 US or $1300 Cdn . I justify the price difference by all the perks offered and being in the "disney bubble". Now I am looking at at least $130 US extra for a value hotel parking and that is if they do not start charging on site guests to park at the parks! I know that would not make sense because then they would need more busses/drivers etc. but nothing Disney does surprises me. Even the perk of their 60 day fp selection has lost some of its appeal now that guests staying at Disney Spring hotels receive the same benefit. So, if indeed this becomes a reality chances are Disney Springs hotel it is.

It's true....https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

From the site:

Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.
Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

• Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.
Learn more about services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

Glad we are grandfathered in, but this is getting ridiculous. We will likely only rent a car for our AK and HS days.

Last edited:

I'm glad we are grandfathered in but I think this is our line in the sand. We have tons of other places we want a visit and will start pursuing that. And when we do come back to WDW because I'm not crazy enough to say we never will I will look into a house rental or Disney Springs hotel instead.
For us we are finally getting to a place where the costs are outweighing the perks.

And let's be real not every hotel charges parking - only usually those in large cities were parking is an issue.

This is sad news to me. We live in Tampa, but like driving over to do 4 night stays at the resorts a few times a year. This news just forces me to cut our trips in HALF. Maybe 2 trips per year instead of 4. Parking fees bump the moderates well over the $250 a night range where it used to be $150. After Caribbean construction is done I'm sure it will be right back up there at $250 too. These are NOT $200+ luxury resorts by any stretch!

From what others have said, parking at a park and ride at MCO and then taking DME will be much, much cheaper...

Other than making more money, I wonder what the motivation was for this. Do they want fewer cars on the WDW roads? TwoMisfits is probably correct in assuming that the free Magical Express will be going away too.

Other than making more money, I wonder what the motivation was for this. Do they want fewer cars on the WDW roads? TwoMisfits is probably correct in assuming that the free Magical Express will be going away too.

When you have a car you have the option of eating/shopping off site for a lot less money as well as visiting other orlando parks. This is seen by Disney as costing them money. By charging for parking they are trying to discourage people who fly in from renting cars. That is why I doubt they will start charging for Magical Express. They want you to use it for free (seen as a perk), thereby not renting a car, so you can be a captive audience and pay their ridiculous food prices and penalize people with cars who might spend money outside the "Disney bubble"

Hmm, I'm not on the other boards either at the moment and surprised by this. Since this effects our upcoming trip I would have appreciated an email with the news from Disney. Honestly we are getting to a point where staying on-site is losing it's appeal as this will add over another $100 to our stay.
If you booked your trip prior to March 21, 2018 you will not be charged, regardless of when your date of travel. It is for reservations MADE March 21, 2018 and going forward.

What's next?

Uber and Lyft are very happy today.

I find this like taking away one meal for one person from us.

This is probably one way how they are paying for the new rides coming to the parks.

When you have a car you have the option of eating/shopping off site for a lot less money as well as visiting other orlando parks. This is seen by Disney as costing them money. By charging for parking they are trying to discourage people who fly in from renting cars. That is why I doubt they will start charging for Magical Express. They want you to use it for free (seen as a perk), thereby not renting a car, so you can be a captive audience and pay their ridiculous food prices and penalize people with cars who might spend money outside the "Disney bubble"
I have always seen this as the reason behind the free magical express. To get you there and keep you there, spending all your dollars at Disney.

I think next time we return, we will likely stay off site and visit one or 2 parks. Our youngest grandchild has never been there and probably will only get to go if we take him. I can totally see us staying in a condo and just hitting MK and AK. It would be much cheaper to just drive there and park at the parks.

I can also see offsite hotels stepping up their game as far as shuttles are concerned. They stand to get a lot more business with these increased prices.

Not hanging out on other boards at the moment, thanks for inquiring, I had not heard of this yet. I really thought that's what part of the resort fee was for? Guess I'll have to do some research to see if they are thinking of lowering it now that only folks that are using the benefit are paying for it rather than all subsidizing it (haha)

Disney doesn't charge a resort fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter