Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think if busses are offered it'd only be for the transition and they would get worse and worse until fully gone.

This is news to me. We've been assuming gondola = monorail = boat, in that the gondola will be the only way to get from A to B. Perhaps Disney has survey data or whatnot that has persuaded them to maintain a nominal level of bus service.

Not sure why it would be news to anyone since I don't believe Disney has ever said there would be no bus service.

I went back and searched all the Disney Parks Blogs about Skyliner and their attached comments, and could not find anything about buses still being offered to those resorts.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/?s=skyliner

It took me awhile to find it .... it was not Disney Parks Blog, it was "Disney" twitter. They had posted a link to article about gondola last month and it is in response to a reply asking if there would be buses for guests who won't ride the gondola. It was suggested that info should be shared so that folks can choose to stay elsewhere that will have buses if they don't want to ride gondola.

Disney response ... "There will still be bus transportation available at these Resorts. We recommend reaching out to the Front Desk of the Resort at the time of visit for more information!"

As I said I wouldn't expect the same level of service, but it does seem clear from their statement there will be some kind of bus service.

I totally get people that don't want to ride in the gondolas - to be confined while dangling, I get it, doesn't seem safe ....

... but statistically they are very safe.

And Rail was the least safe - so guess we should get rid of the Walt Disney Railroad ;)

This exactly. The gondola system will be far and away safer that the bus system.

The US Highway system is the LEAST safe form of transportation in the US, but no one fears using it. Statistics don't matter to lots of humans - only what the feel. It's why this world is such a mess.

This exactly. The gondola system will be far and away safer that the bus system.

The US Highway system is the LEAST safe form of transportation in the US, but no one fears using it. Statistics don't matter to lots of humans - only what the feel. It's why this world is such a mess.

yup ...

and like I said, I get people being scared of riding them - but I don't think it is fair to post links to a specific incident and say "see, they aren't safe!!!" when more comprehensive data says they are overall very safe

Not sure why it would be news to anyone since I don't believe Disney has ever said there would be no bus service.

It took me awhile to find it .... it was not Disney Parks Blog, it was "Disney" twitter. They had posted a link to article about gondola last month and it is in response to a reply asking if there would be buses for guests who won't ride the gondola. It was suggested that info should be shared so that folks can choose to stay elsewhere that will have buses if they don't want to ride gondola.

Disney response ... "There will still be bus transportation available at these Resorts. We recommend reaching out to the Front Desk of the Resort at the time of visit for more information!"

As I said I wouldn't expect the same level of service, but it does seem clear from their statement there will be some kind of bus service.

That's a good catch. It is extremely unlikely that they maintain full service buses with the gondolas running. I would say 98% of people will WANT to ride the gondola. A small percent will not want to ride, and Disney will likely need to accomodate those that don't. I COULD see them saying something like "OK - we're going to keep one bus route that is going to stop at all 4 of these resorts before going to the park, so you may have to wait 45-60 minutes for the next bus." taking what is currently perhaps 12 buses an hour down to one.

What's interesting when you think about it for 3 resorts (Riviera, Pop, AoA) getting to the gondola will not be much different than getting to the bus stop. However, for CBR, perhaps 50% of those staying there will likely feel the need to take an internal bus to get to the gondola station. (Note I didn't say "will have to". More than likely the whole resort will have access via footpath, but from the farthest rooms it may be a 15-20 minute walk to the gondola station, which most will not want to do.) So at CBR you might have to wait for a bus to take the gondola.

That's a good catch. It is extremely unlikely that they maintain full service buses with the gondolas running. I would say 98% of people will WANT to ride the gondola. A small percent will not want to ride, and Disney will likely need to accomodate those that don't. I COULD see them saying something like "OK - we're going to keep one bus route that is going to stop at all 4 of these resorts before going to the park, so you may have to wait 45-60 minutes for the next bus." taking what is currently perhaps 12 buses an hour down to one.

What's interesting when you think about it for 3 resorts (Riviera, Pop, AoA) getting to the gondola will not be much different than getting to the bus stop. However, for CBR, perhaps 50% of those staying there will likely feel the need to take an internal bus to get to the gondola station. (Note I didn't say "will have to". More than likely the whole resort will have access via footpath, but from the farthest rooms it may be a 15-20 minute walk to the gondola station, which most will not want to do.) So at CBR you might have to wait for a bus to take the gondola.

At least the Riviera stop will be a closer option for some CBR guests. Still a bit of a hike depending on the building!

I could totally see a shared bus for all three. I guess it depends on what actually happens once in operation. There may be some who try the gondola but not happy with it for varied reasons ... and shift back to bus. I expect it might take awhile to find the happy medium.

And I do agree CBR is getting the short straw having to travel that far to station. What was once a bus from your building group is now two levels of transportation. I don’t see the plus in that case, especially if you have stroller or WC or just trying to corral kids.

And I do agree CBR is getting the short straw having to travel that far to station. What was once a bus from your building group is now two levels of transportation. I don’t see the plus in that case, especially if you have stroller or WC or just trying to corral kids.

certainly, I think, changes which rooms will become "preferred" - either officially or just the ones that people request to stay at

If I have a stroller though, and I can get a room relatively close to the gondola station, I prefer that vs having to fold it up to get on a bus - so, pluses and minuses I gues

There's an existing running path circling the lagoon, so all they need to do is ensure that there's an easy path out to the station.

If CBR Guests have easy access to the Riviera station, it looks like the longest walk to the closer of the 2 stations would be about half a mile, or 10 minutes' walk. (I brought up walking directions on Google Maps and moved the start point around.) From the northernmost rooms, it would be about 3/4 mi. to the CBR station, which obviously would be preferable when traveling to DHS, to avoid a transfer.

I could totally see a shared bus for all three. I guess it depends on what actually happens once in operation. There may be some who try the gondola but not happy with it for varied reasons ... and shift back to bus. I expect it might take awhile to find the happy medium.

At OKW, the last stop for every single bus is the Hospitality house so to get there all you have to do is get on any bus.. Wonder if they won't utilize this model at Caribbean Beach where they make the Gondola the last stop for all buses and all you have to do to get there is hop on the first bus you see.

At OKW, the last stop for every single bus is the Hospitality house so to get there all you have to do is get on any bus.. Wonder if they won't utilize this model at Caribbean Beach where they make the Gondola the last stop for all buses and all you have to do to get there is hop on the first bus you see.
The station is right by the new road entrance, but IMHO they'd want to make it both the 1st and last stop to serve Guests arriving on the Skyliner as well as those departing.

Of course there will continue to be bus transportation available at the gondola resorts - buses to MK, buses to AK and buses to DS. What Disney did not say in that twitter response was that there would still be buses going from the gondola resorts to Epcot and DHS.
I don’t know whether they’ll continue bus service to Epcot/DHS once the gondolas are up and running - but that response is purposely vague IMO.

Of course there will continue to be bus transportation available at the gondola resorts - buses to MK, buses to AK and buses to DS. What Disney did not say in that twitter response was that there would still be buses going from the gondola resorts to Epcot and DHS.
I don’t know whether they’ll continue bus service to Epcot/DHS once the gondolas are up and running - but that response is purposely vague IMO.

Ha ha - i didn't catch that, buy you are right - an answer worthy of a politician. "Of course there will still be bus service!!" (Said quietly off to the side "Just not to THOSE parks")

Well since they answering a direct question regarding gondola transportation to DHS and Epcot, with a response there will still be buses as an option ............. to go with your take would mean a ... clear, deliberate and direct lie. I get Disney is often vague but I certainly hope they are not now blatantly lying about their services.

The post was asking if it could be clarified so that they could pick a different resort to stay at ... not sure it would do Disney any goodwill to lie just to get people to stay there that would have been happier staying at another resort.

Well since they answering a direct question regarding gondola transportation to DHS and Epcot, with a response there will still be buses as an option ............. to go with your take would mean a ... clear, deliberate and direct lie. I get Disney is often vague but I certainly hope they are not now blatantly lying about their services.

The post was asking if it could be clarified so that they could pick a different resort to stay at ... not sure it would do Disney any goodwill to lie just to get people to stay there that would have been happier staying at another resort.
I don’t consider a reply tweet to be an official statement. I also wouldn’t consider it a lie if it doesn’t happen. It could have been a misinformed CM or one that just assumed it would be the case. As mentioned in this thread this wasn’t a wide known tweet and people had to search it out so I really don’t put much into that yet.

How is it a "clear, deliberate and direct lie"? There will undoubtedly be buses running from the resort. If they don't run to Epcot or MGM directly, the guest has the option to take a bus to another park and then transfer. They didn't state anything more than busses will run from the hotel still, nothing more specific than that. There is absolutely nothing untrue about that statement.

I have no desire to ride these things. DH, to my surprise, does want to. (He’s afraid of heights, so odd) Neither of us are excited about it stopping at IG. We enjoy the quiet entry that’s there now & are not looking forward to heavier traffic.

I think the gondolas look really small. Disney shoves & squishes us all (obviously with our permission) onto buses & monorails, making us all become very familiar with strangers, that we probably wouldn’t necessarily want to become so familiar with. And now they want us all to be happy to enter into a tin can hanging on a rope in the sky, sailing away, butt to butt (literally), in the FL weather, with no a/c in the lightening capitol, where there is not quick escape. It’s just not for me. But I’m sure some will (like my DH) want to ride it & some will love it & some will hate it. Time will tell how the majority feels & how that effects Disney’s future use of the system.

Last edited:
I have no desire to ride these things. DH, to my surprise, does want to. (He’s afraid of heights, so odd) Niether of us are excited about the hub for them being at IG. We enjoy the quiet entry that’s there now & are not looking forward to heavier traffic.

I think the gondolas look really small. Disney shoves & squishes us all (obviously with our permission) onto buses & monorails, making us all become very familiar with strangers, that we probably wouldn’t necessarily want to become so familiar with. And now they want us all to be happy to enter into a tin can hanging on a rope in the sky, sailing away, butt to butt (literally), in the FL weather, with no a/c in the lightening capitol, where there is not quick escape. It’s just not for me. But I’m sure some will (like my DH) want to ride it & some will love it & some will hate it. Time will tell how the majority feels & how that effects Disney’s future use of the system.

Sounds to me like you need to buy one of them private islands from AWE TV.....pirate:

I have no desire to ride these things. DH, to my surprise, does want to. (He’s afraid of heights, so odd) Niether of us are excited about the hub for them being at IG. We enjoy the quiet entry that’s there now & are not looking forward to heavier traffic.

The hub isn't at IG. The hub is at CBR. IG is the end of the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter