Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Thanks for sharing!

I don't think I realized how close some of the buildings will be to the towers/lines - definitely going to create a different view to see the cars going by!

img_6617-jpg.314959
I agree. I don't know about increased sounds around those rooms (I know for some being in a quiet area is important) but that may become almost a quasi AKL balcony thing...I mean gondolas are not giraffes for sure and it may not be as impressive as having live animals to watch from your balcony but it may be something neat to look at for a while at least and a unique feature.

I agree. I don't know about increased sounds around those rooms (I know for some being in a quiet area is important) but that may become almost a quasi AKL balcony thing...I mean gondolas are not giraffes for sure and it may not be as impressive as having live animals to watch from your balcony but it may be something neat to look at for a while at least and a unique feature.

well, until one of the guests in said Gondola moon's you ;)

I would think they wouldn't be too noise as long as they are not any of the mechanical parts (which I figure would just be at the stations)

They all seem pretty low. My guess is to decrease the fear factor. And perhaps for evac planning.

https://news.sky.com/story/ski-lift-fault-strands-up-to-200-in-french-alps-11184193

If Disney hasn't sat in a meeting, discussing a situation like this for hours, they have failed. I do process safety analysis for a living, and a worst case scenario like this would be discussed as a very low probability, multiple hospitialization possible fatality scenario. And a solution would be needed. My guess is Disney is not going with a helicopter scenario, but instead will purchase some lift trucks capable of reaching the fairly low gondola cables.

-J
Since it appears the "over land" routes are all over gravel or pavement, my guess is a flatbead with extendable multi function ladders/airport loaders. A boat with a raised upper deck will probably be used on the water routes.

At risk of feeding a fire, that has been discussed many times in the thread already. Gondolas are used quite a bit in north america already. In those locations, the evacuation procedures are created that allow for folks to get safely out of the gondola vehicle over a wide variety of very challenging alpine terrain. The geography of disney is well within those scenarios. You do not need a lift or ladder truck, though I suppose you could. Typically you evac a lift by putting a line over the haul rope, and putting the rider in a sling and lowering them.
rope%20rescue%201.jpg

Before it's a question....yes they can evacuate your comfort/service animal.

bo-1.jpg

and even those in adaptive devices

AR-141119936.jpg

When water is involved......it'll need a boat.

That being said, the cars likely won't be stranded, they have back up motors that can clear the line. It's very rare that the cars will not be able to move.

I am wondering if they won't be extra busy around fireworks time. Might get some great views of Illuminations coming in from the Boardwalk! Stay on through the turn and watch them heading out..

I am wondering if they won't be extra busy around fireworks time. Might get some great views of Illuminations coming in from the Boardwalk! Stay on through the turn and watch them heading out..

Agreed, but even busier right after the fireworks IMO.

But I agree with the new/improved "views" these will create during transportation. Should be fun.

Interesting thought - I know we have done a ride on the Monorail to and from the TTC through EPCOT just to get views of Illuminations

Wonder if they will let you stay on or if you will have to get off at any of the terminals (EPCOT, etc.)

It is clear folks don't understand risk analysis and crisis situation. Saying "Dopplemeyer knows gondolas". Of course they do. And they know they fail, like the news article from December I posted. That same type of failure in August would have vastly different consequences, especially on the PR side.

And of course Disney's Fire Department would have rescue vehicles. A lot of your posts are sort of "Captain Obvious" in nature. However, they don't have a teleportation system, and they will only have a few. Response time will not be 1-5 minutes.

-J

I do know risk analysis. I don't know for sure what Disney is doing, but I can tell you I am certain they are also doing heavy risk analysis and planning.
These systems are designed with a back-up system to bring the cars into the station should the main turbine fail. A car becoming dislodged is a near impossibility, but I am sure every potential contigency will be concerned.

I lot of people talk about how these gondolas "can't be cooled" but I just don't buy that they are going to have no cooling system in an enclosed glass box that will suspended in the air in 95 degree temperatures and high humidity. Sure, it may not cool to 68 degrees like the restaurants are cooled, but I am sure they will not let riders bake in the sun.

Disney has an extremely good track record for safety in the theme park industry, and gondolas are inherently much safer than things like roller coasters and log flumes.

I am really not concerned with the skyliner failing. I'm sure Disney is using top of the line equipment and putting in as many fail safes as possible but what if something like this happens ?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter