Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think people are going to be surprised how these actually work. Even if there is a line when you get there, it will always be moving. You'll never (without a breakdown) be standing around wondering when the next bus will get there - you'll always be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

yeah I had mentioned that at one point during this long thread (I think) that even if the lines are as long as for the bus it won't feel as long as you will be constantly moving (although down side is that if you have a lot of purchases from the park you will be constantly moving rather than able to put the bags down and rest, etc.)

Is this really going to be true?

"It is expected that bus transportation to the parks and resorts involved in this new transportation system will decrease or go away altogether"

I'm fascinated by this project but also do not like heights. I don't see myself using this as a main form of transportation. Between this and the dog issue, I think Disney really doesn't want me staying onsite anymore!

Good thing the Good Neighbor hotels have the 60-day FP+ booking now!

I have a feeling once people see a shorter wait and understand how it works they may feel differently. It's not as if the monorail is directly on the ground either. Sometimes people gotta just take what's there, or they can consider renting a car or using a cab.

I have a feeling once people see a shorter wait and understand how it works they may feel differently. It's not as if the monorail is directly on the ground either. Sometimes people gotta just take what's there, or they can consider renting a car or using a cab.

or Minnie Vans as the alternative if you don't want to use the included transportation

In our case, we have a sense that the monorail having a concrete track below somehow equates to higher safety. My erroneous trepidation with the gondola system is it being a suspended via a cable. It's like riding Peter Pan's flight; somehow the element of falling seems more worrisome regardless of how strong a suspended track/cable is.

Got lost here. Do you mean 5 buses an hour to "each" park (all 4 parks) to get to 20 per hour? Currently it would only be to 2 parks correct? Maybe I missed more, sorry if so. Or do you mean the 4 hotels?

5 buses an hour from 4 resorts means 20 buses from each park going to each resort. So the latter.

I think people are going to be surprised how these actually work. Even if there is a line when you get there, it will always be moving. You'll never (without a breakdown) be standing around wondering when the next bus will get there - you'll always be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Here's an example that might work: Think of it like the PeopleMover/TTA. Continuous load will work pretty much like that, with a circular load platform that people will walk on and off the vehicles. Vehicles will slow in the station, but then pick up speed as they leave the station. The only difference is instead of cars on a track, this will be cars suspended from a "track"/cable. Another difference is that ground with be flush with the gondolas, so strollers/wheelchairs can be pushed on. (I still am not sure how ECVs can be handled though.)

5 buses an hour from 4 resorts means 20 buses from each park going to each resort. So the latter.

Ah yes, makes sense thanks.

Agreed it will be the closing time that will have lines, am as well-but the rest sounds pretty efficient.

Interesting information about the gondola system in Bolivia...very similar to the one Disney is doing except for 10 person vs. 8 person cars:

The Mi Teleférico system consists of monocable aerial cable car lines. Each line has a maximum capacity of 6000 passengers per hour. The network has a total of five lines, with 443 cars on the Red, Green, and Yellow Lines, 208 on the Blue Line,[3] and 127 on the Orange Line.[4] Each car seats 10 passengers. Cars depart every 12 seconds, and the network is open 17 hours a day.[25]

According to Mi Teleférico, the Red, Yellow, and Green Lines combined transport between 80,000 and 90,000 passengers per day. Of these, the Yellow and Red Lines, the two lines that link La Paz and El Alto, account for some 70,000 rides. During its opening week, the Blue Line moved 41,000 passengers in one day, and it has increased ridership on the Red Line by 15%.[26]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi_Teleférico

Just a thought...what happens when the classic florida afternoon thunder/lightening storm comes through....like every afternoon in the summer. I can imagine everything will stop just like the monorail transport and boats over by MK and everyone runs to the buses.

what happens when the classic florida afternoon thunder/lightening storm comes through
Somewhere up-thread there was a comment that they continue to operate just fine. The transport mechanism is built to withstand all kinds of weather. The cables and towers are something of a lightning protection system too.

Wow, I missed that, thank you. Scary but cool possibility!!

The only thing that would really have to make them stop are high winds, and believe they'd have to be like 35 mph gusts (I think I remember that correctly, but I may be wrong on that. I do remember it was a decent wind speed before they would have to stop.)

Now will Disney run them in a lightening storm based on perception...no one knows yet.

To all the comments above .. I guess I didn't realize the gondola capacity is that much. I guess I've been picturing a "ride"-like system where a group steps up .. gets ushered into a car .. gets settled, door closes, it takes off and next one comes in. Just seems like that would take some time with only 8-person max gondolas.

I mean .. it won't be a continuously moving queue like the people mover or something, will it? I mean it has to stop to get people on/off .. and that feels like it will just take time. It's not like it's a ski lift where you just plop off and ski away.

So mainly my ignorance of the system .. will be interesting to see for sure!

If it helps to see gondola loading in action, check out this video. Skip ahead until :55

You see how slow the gondola moves in the station, and at the end you see the acceleration as it leaves.

If it helps to see gondola loading in action, check out this video. Skip ahead until :55

You see how slow the gondola moves in the station, and at the end you see the acceleration as it leaves.

This video was a “suggested” video after the above, and I found it fascinating. Though most of the time was spent on the chair lift, I am assuming the gondola system works the same way. He talks about the two back up systems they have and how the cars detach from the cabling (which I was trying to understand how that works).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter