Disney Store employee benefits

No, I am not kidding! Believe me, after 15 years I have seen it all. Seasonal cast members leaving when thy find out they aren't getting the WDW discounts, guests saying I'd love a job here so I can go to WDW cheap too, seasonals leaving because they didn't realize it was "hard" work, etc.

The new focus is "Magic", so if you want to come and help spread some while working your butt off for the holidays, the stores want you. If you are friendly with your local store cast inquire how many seasonals last the entire holiday season? It is not many. You get the excuses about shifts being all over the place, non-consistent in length and days, the work is too hard, etc.

I did not mean to offend anyone here. I was expressing my frustration over people wanting to know the perks. I would never ask another person what perks they get at their job. Like I said I love my job and have been there for 15 years. When I started I was also a teacher, since retirement it is my fun job. I have been a member of management, but I love just being a cast member. I go to work, have some fun and work hard.

Once again I am sorry if I angered anyone of you. I am just passionate and protective of my job.

Ahh...the difference is this is not really a job for you! you WANT to be there.

There aren't that many people who want to do what Disney expects. you've fallen into the Koolaid pitcher. I don't mean that is bad - it is just not realistic for most people. When I worked, many of the cm's were teachers doing part time - I found out about the job and benefits from a teacher/cm. The rest of the cm's were housewives spending a few hours and getting the discounts and giving all their paychecks right back to the store - their husbands were supporting them..I remember a teen getting hired and not lasting very long - there was no real incentive for her to stay.

All kind of weird to me

There are very few companies that can 'get' people like Disney does. That is the real magic.

Exactly! And with what is basically a minimum wage job to start, to find quality people there have to be some perks. Disney asks a lot from the employees.

Do they ask for unreasonable things? What kind of things are you referring to? If I'm not being to nosy.

Boy, CM benefits have changed since DH and I worked at DTD in 2006! We worked mostly to get the park passes - we each got six passes for free park-hopper admission for up to four guests at a time (so a total of 24 free admissions each, per year!) We had to accompany guests using these passes. We also each got two gold passes (probably called something else, I forget) that we could give away without having to accompany the guests. These were also park-hoppers, and as I remember, they had no expiration date. I distinctly remember a friend using one of mine more than a year after I resigned.

We got 10% discounts on purchases made at DTD; this increased to 40% from Thanksgiving to New Years. There was a restaurant discount (I think 20%) but we only used it at Fulton's; didn't include alcohol.

We both worked retail (WOD store and Toy Story), but we told recruiter from the start that we didn't want to work week-ends. Recruiter said it was OK because most of their college students needed week-end hours. Also, I didn't work after dark because I don't see well enough to drive after dark (ADA reasonable accommodation). My team leader and DH's worked together as much as possible to get us corresponding shifts - certainly not required, but a nice gesture on their part.

Other than the fact that I hate working retail, it was a good gig for the park admission benefits. The salary sure wasn't great - $7.85 per hour. We're retired Federal workers, so we didn't need any of the other benefits.

I'm sure a lot has changed, but hope this helps.

Queen Colleen

Wow this is an old thread! I DID go back to TDS, so I worked 5 years, then left for 4 years (the Children's Place years) and now I have been back 3 years.

I love it so much. I just want to be a Disney Cast Member, it is in my blood, lol.

Both times I was hired I started as a seasonal. If that helps anyone.

We work hard and have fun too!

Wow this is an old thread! I DID go back to TDS, so I worked 5 years, then left for 4 years (the Children's Place years) and now I have been back 3 years.

I love it so much. I just want to be a Disney Cast Member, it is in my blood, lol.

Both times I was hired I started as a seasonal. If that helps anyone.

We work hard and have fun too!

I am going to revive this thread since I am seriously thinking of getting a seasonal job there. So what is the benefits? A CM there briefly went over the things they get and I said "well surely that is for full time employees" and she said "I know you get at least 2 park passes" so I am now trying to research exactly what you get. She was such a doll and I am still on a high talking to her about Disney stuff and she said "we LOVE hiring people that love Disney as much as we do"

Hello!! I know the last post was about 7 years ago and am wondering if anyone has anything to add? Maybe something has changed? I was thinking about part time at the mall and wondering if anyone can talk about what kind of benefits cast members get? Just curious.
Thank you!

Our wonderful niece is considering accepting a part time job at our local Disney store. She would like to know more about what types of benefits these cast members receive. Does anyone have information about the perks of being a cast member at a Disney store? TIA!!!

(She has been offered a PT job elsewhere as well, but she loves Disney!)

Last edited:

The "perks" are better than before, much better, and frankly I save more with the perks than I make in salary. SO it is not always a good fit for people who need a stable source of income, month to month. For example, you might work 25 hours a week in December, and then only 3-5 in January and February. So it generally works best for people who do not really need the income, or who have another PT job, or a spouse whose job pays the bills.

I am still with TDS and still love it. The perks work best for people who travel to the parks (both WDW & DL) often, IMHO. Or people with kids who buy lots of the product anyway. I fall into the first category, lol.

The "perks" are better than before, much better, and frankly I save more with the perks than I make in salary. SO it is not always a good fit for people who need a stable source of income, month to month. For example, you might work 25 hours a week in December, and then only 3-5 in January and February. So it generally works best for people who do not really need the income, or who have another PT job, or a spouse whose job pays the bills.

I am still with TDS and still love it. The perks work best for people who travel to the parks (both WDW & DL) often, IMHO. Or people with kids who buy lots of the product anyway. I fall into the first category, lol.
Thanks @PatMcDuck, I will pass this info on to her!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter