Disney Transfer and Luggage Questions

Peaseblossom36

Mouseketeer
Has anyone every sent their carryon luggage with Disney rather than actually carrying it on? We are taking Disney transfers from our resort to the ship and I was thinking of putting luggage tags on our two carryon bags to send with Disney rather than actually carrying them on. Would there be any reason not to do this? Am I even able to take a carryon on the Disney transfer?

Also curious if the bus we will be picked up on will pick up from more than one resort. We are going to be at POR French Quarter, which I’m sure will also pick up from Riverside but would it be picking up from other resorts too?

If you put your carryon luggage on the truck, it will be treated like regular luggage and you'll see it next when luggage is delivered outside the room. I wouldn't do that, however, unless your carryon bag is at least as robust as a regular suitcase as they are tossed around and piled up quite a bit. My bag - which is a padded backpack - would not survive or at least the contents wouldn't. You are absolutely able to take a carryon onboard the bus - both at your seat and under the bus if it's too big to hold or put in the overhead rack. And as long as it fits through a standard metal detector, you can carry it on the ship.

The bus may pick up from other resorts both before and after you are picked up but you won't know until you're on it. You don't get the letter telling you your pickup time until about 7 pm the night before. Where they pick up is entirely determined by who is going so there's no standard route or pickup schedule.

If you plan on bringing your allowed alcohol onboard, you need to keep it with you. You should also keep any prescription medication with you at all times. Outside of those things, there is no reason not to send it with the regular luggage.

Resort routes change every cruise based on demand. You can‘t predict your pick-up time, how many resorts will be on your route that day and where your resort is on the list. They usually stop at at least two or three resorts.

We keep our valuables -- paperwork, passports, meds, a little jewelry in our carry-on, so that stays with us. We also hook the lap-top computer to the top of the carry-on.

Cabins aren’t available until 1:30 and luggage may not be delivered until 4-5:00. So anything you may want (bathing suits, sunscreen, RX) you should keep with you.
**RX should always be in a carry on

It is possible that the bus will make several stops. They won't know until your cruise. A lot depends on how many people need to be picked up and where.

I was thinking of sticking the things we need, like our documents, with us in my little sling backpack. We’re staying on property so I’m not sure if we’ll we able to find any alcohol to purchase to bring on board with us. Our carryon luggage is hardsided luggage, so don’t want to drag it around with us on the chance our room wouldn’t be ready. We didn’t get enough luggage tags for both bags so maybe we’ll just send one then.

Honestly my only concern as far as pick up is that the day we leave for the cruise in the day the president will be attending a conference at GF. If they are picking up from multiple resorts will they usually be resorts that are near each other? I’m worried there could be delays caused by his visit since I know we would likely have been there later anyway, I’m just hoping our arrival time doesn’t get pushed back even further.

Honestly my only concern as far as pick up is that the day we leave for the cruise in the day the president will be attending a conference at GF. If they are picking up from multiple resorts will they usually be resorts that are near each other? I’m worried there could be delays caused by his visit since I know we would likely have been there later anyway, I’m just hoping our arrival time doesn’t get pushed back even further.

They do tend to pick up at resorts that are close to each other, although as others have mentioned, it all depends on how many people requested transfers for that particular date. I don’t think your schedule will be altered, because the event is a dinner the evening. Nothing has been announced that would indicate an arrival in the morning.

They do tend to pick up at resorts that are close to each other, although as others have mentioned, it all depends on how many people requested transfers for that particular date. I don’t think your schedule will be altered, because the event is a dinner the evening. Nothing has been announced that would indicate an arrival in the morning.

Thank you! That makes me feel a bit better.

While rare, it is possible for a bag to go missing (or take a swim). For this reason alone, I always have a change of clothes in a carry-on. Is it possible a member of your party could carry a backpack with a few necessities? Even if you don't want to use it as a carry-on for airline travel, a simple backpack can be folded into a suitcase and just use it for embarkation day.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter