Disney Vacation Account not really worth it after $500 worth of gift cards

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
I just spoke to a DVA rep and she said that there is a cap of $500 per household on getting the $20 per $1000 in gift cards. Which means that the 2% back in gift cards stops after $500 so the money-saving aspect of getting 2% back is a temporary thing. We are bummed to hear this because we thought this would be a great way to save money on each of our Disney trips.

I used to buy gift cards at the grocery store for 5% cashback on Amex and then store them all in a DVA for a bonus $20/$1000 in GCs. That stopped when DVA started randomly pulling money out of people's bank accounts with no explanation or apology except "we will put it back at some point." I can't really trust that type of service.

I used to buy gift cards at the grocery store for 5% cashback on Amex and then store them all in a DVA for a bonus $20/$1000 in GCs. That stopped when DVA started randomly pulling money out of people's bank accounts with no explanation or apology except "we will put it back at some point." I can't really trust that type of service.
what? they took your money out without your approval??

I just spoke to a DVA rep and she said that there is a cap of $500 per household on getting the $20 per $1000 in gift cards. Which means that the 2% back in gift cards stops after $500 so the money-saving aspect of getting 2% back is a temporary thing. We are bummed to hear this because we thought this would be a great way to save money on each of our Disney trips.

Agree that it is disappointing that it doesn't go on forever, but $500 worth of gift cards is $25,000 worth of Disney vacations. That goes a long way.

Agree that it is disappointing that it doesn't go on forever, but $500 worth of gift cards is $25,000 worth of Disney vacations. That goes a long way.

I was just going to say the same thing. You'd have to deposit $25,000 in order to be hit with the $500 cap. It seems like way more than enough for most people, even to spend on a very expensive Disney vacation.

Even then, if you have $25,000 to spend on Disney, you probably can put that money into other investments and earn more than 2% a year on it.

Or better yet, this is what I would do: charge your entire vacation to a credit card that gives generous rewards. I recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve which will give you 3 points per dollar spent on travel and dining. Just make sure you charge any merchandise to your room so that it counts as part of your hotel bill. Each point is worth 1.5 cents when redeemed on travel, so you're effectively getting $1,125 in value... a reward which you can spend on any travel, not just at Disney. This credit card has a very high annual fee, but for your first year you'll also get signup bonus points worth $750 and travel credits worth $300 (which can be spent on hotels, airlines, Uber, rental cars, etc.). That's a total of $2,175 which more than pays for the annual fee.

Obviously, if you're concerned about the $500 cap, you're spending more than $25K on on your vacation, so your rewards will be even higher than this number.

Much better than DVA where all the money is locked into an account that is interest-free and can only be spent at Disney.

I was just going to say the same thing. You'd have to deposit $25,000 in order to be hit with the $500 cap. It seems like way more than enough for most people, even to spend on a very expensive Disney vacation.

Even then, if you have $25,000 to spend on Disney, you probably can put that money into other investments and earn more than 2% a year on it.

Or better yet, this is what I would do: charge your entire vacation to a credit card that gives generous rewards. I recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve which will give you 3 points per dollar spent on travel and dining. Just make sure you charge any merchandise to your room so that it counts as part of your hotel bill. Each point is worth 1.5 cents when redeemed on travel, so you're effectively getting $1,125 in value... a reward which you can spend on any travel, not just at Disney. This credit card has a very high annual fee, but for your first year you'll also get signup bonus points worth $750 and travel credits worth $300 (which can be spent on hotels, airlines, Uber, rental cars, etc.). That's a total of $2,175 which more than pays for the annual fee.

Obviously, if you're concerned about the $500 cap, you're spending more than $25K on on your vacation, so your rewards will be even higher than this number.

Much better than DVA where all the money is locked into an account that is interest-free and can only be spent at Disney.

I'm a huge points guy with my credit cards, but I use DVA with gift cards that were bought at a 5% discount from BJs and with a 2% cash back from my credit card. Add the 2% DVA gift card and 9% is better than any rewards you can get on a credit card.

I'm a huge points guy with my credit cards, but I use DVA with gift cards that were bought at a 5% discount from BJs and with a 2% cash back from my credit card. Add the 2% DVA gift card and 9% is better than any rewards you can get on a credit card.

Ah, yes. That is a very good return for Disney spending!

If it's any consolation, the bonus program is slated to end on 12/31/2017. There's been no indication that it will be extended. If you've gotten $500 in GC from the program, I would say that you worked it for all it's worth.

We are thinking of putting our vacation money into a CD account and then taking out what we need for our vacation, using our Credit Card to put money into our DVA to get the percentage back from our CC then use the money from the CD account to pay off the Credit Card.

That's not true. The rep said that it's per household not per person or account. So if you put in the same address it won't work
I don't trust the phone reps. When the DVA first rolled it, it would automatically close after your trip. Opening a new account was standard protocol.

I don't trust the phone reps. When the DVA first rolled it, it would automatically close after your trip. Opening a new account was standard protocol.

Per the FAQs on the DVA website:

Disney Vacation Account Bonus Program

What is the Bonus Program?
You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total maximum of $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. All accounts registered to the same address are considered part of the same household.

Per the FAQs on the DVA website:

Disney Vacation Account Bonus Program

What is the Bonus Program?
You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total maximum of $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. All accounts registered to the same address are considered part of the same household.
It also says you can't use it for DVC dues, but we know that's not the case.

Wondering if anyone can help me with this question. I used the DVA for our Sept 2016 WDW trip, I have started a new goal for our Nov 2017 WDW trip and after booking our 2018 DCL cruise I wanted to start another goal. I am being told when I create my DCL account that "The user already has reached the maximum amount of gift card accounts." I am no where near the cap of $500, even with both upcoming vacations. Any idea what's going on?

Wondering if anyone can help me with this question. I used the DVA for our Sept 2016 WDW trip, I have started a new goal for our Nov 2017 WDW trip and after booking our 2018 DCL cruise I wanted to start another goal. I am being told when I create my DCL account that "The user already has reached the maximum amount of gift card accounts." I am no where near the cap of $500, even with both upcoming vacations. Any idea what's going on?

Are you trying to create all new accounts or just new spending goals? If your trying to create accounts there maybe a limit to the number of accounts you can have. You should be able to set a new goal.

Are you trying to create all new accounts or just new spending goals? If your trying to create accounts there maybe a limit to the number of accounts you can have. You should be able to set a new goal.

It's a new goal-- I called customer service and she said it looks like a sitewide issue. They always have problems!! She said she'd call once it was resolved but I'll continue to try. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter