Disney with a 1 Year Old..My Experience!

LMO429

DIS Veteran
Hi! Thank you to everyone on this board for answering all my questions for my first trip with our 1 year old son!

Here are the things I found helpful on our trip!

We got our son his own seat on the plane and brought our car seat (Nuna Pipa) He slept going to disney and coming home from disneyworld on the plane. Going down I booked a 6am flight hoping he would sleep (and he did) and coming home I booked a flight for 10am (which was his nap time) hoping he would sleep and he did as well. If it is an option and in your budget I think having your child in their own seat on the airplane is totally worth it and safer.

At the airport we used our uppababy gluxe stroller easy to fold and get around the airport I highly recommend that stroller for the airport and for ease of use even at home its perfect for malls and restaurants does not take up a lot of space!

We rented a city mini from orlando stroller rental it was the prefect stroller for the parks. it came with a cup holder which was great I really do not see the need for the city mini gt in the parks its bigger and you do not need the tires you are not going over harder terrain its mainly concrete.

we rented a car! we stayed at the grand floridian but having a car was huge for getting to the other parks no lines for buses or having to stand up with an infant. it also was great because we stopped at target on the way to the parks and picked up formula, diapers and wipes

we used a diaper backpack with the wipes on the side. I would say of eveything the backpack was the biggest burden but we had no choice but to bring it with the bottles etc. I do not know how someone baby wears in the park we just picked him up when need be and only went on the rides we fast passed no point waiting in long lines with a baby.

I hand washed the bottles in the hotel room it was not bad at all. I brought a travel size dapple wash and bucket from home..i would let the bottles soak over night and then brought the oxo mini travel drying rack it worked out great and the oxo drying rack comes with a brush

at the restaurants when he was sleeping we were allowed to bring our stroller into the restaurant. we never had an issues with being turned away while he was sleeping from being brought to the table.

My son loved evyerhing more than i imagined he would. He loved the characters and the characters breakfasts and the rides he enjoyed too

any other questions feel free to ask me! We can't wait to go back!

What rides were you able to take your 1 year old on? My son will be almost 2 when we go to Disneyland and though both parks have similar rides, just curious.

We took him on so many rides! Railroad, little mermaid, Winnie the Pooh, people mover haunted mansion frozen ever after Peter Pan iasw the railroad safari at animal kingdom to just name a few

All the slow moving attractions a 2yeae old can go on there was way more to take Him on than I thought there would be

Thanks for sharing. Surprised you rented a car while staying at GF. Sounds like a nice trip. We will have our 8 mth old with us when we go but this still helps a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Surprised you rented a car while staying at GF. Sounds like a nice trip. We will have our 8 mth old with us when we go but this still helps a bit.

We rented a car for a couple of reasons: We got our son his own seat on the plane so we were bringing a car seat in the first place, We normally do not take the magical express we take a car service to and from the airport and the car was an additional 50 bucks from what we normally spend...We tend to take a lot of cabs when we have dining reservations away from the hotel with a baby its hard to find cabs with car seats so that is an additional reason why we rented a car one more reason was We wanted a car to be able to go to stores for diapers, formula, etc. We did not want to be on crowded buses and have to fold up the stroller one of us would have had to hold the baby the other the stroller. We drove to all the parks with the exception of the magic kingdom which was easy because the stroller just rolled right onto the monorail we did not have to fold it down.

Hi! Thank you to everyone on this board for answering all my questions for my first trip with our 1 year old son!

Here are the things I found helpful on our trip!

We got our son his own seat on the plane and brought our car seat (Nuna Pipa) He slept going to disney and coming home from disneyworld on the plane. Going down I booked a 6am flight hoping he would sleep (and he did) and coming home I booked a flight for 10am (which was his nap time) hoping he would sleep and he did as well. If it is an option and in your budget I think having your child in their own seat on the airplane is totally worth it and safer.

At the airport we used our uppababy gluxe stroller easy to fold and get around the airport I highly recommend that stroller for the airport and for ease of use even at home its perfect for malls and restaurants does not take up a lot of space!

We rented a city mini from orlando stroller rental it was the prefect stroller for the parks. it came with a cup holder which was great I really do not see the need for the city mini gt in the parks its bigger and you do not need the tires you are not going over harder terrain its mainly concrete.

we rented a car! we stayed at the grand floridian but having a car was huge for getting to the other parks no lines for buses or having to stand up with an infant. it also was great because we stopped at target on the way to the parks and picked up formula, diapers and wipes

we used a diaper backpack with the wipes on the side. I would say of eveything the backpack was the biggest burden but we had no choice but to bring it with the bottles etc. I do not know how someone baby wears in the park we just picked him up when need be and only went on the rides we fast passed no point waiting in long lines with a baby.

I hand washed the bottles in the hotel room it was not bad at all. I brought a travel size dapple wash and bucket from home..i would let the bottles soak over night and then brought the oxo mini travel drying rack it worked out great and the oxo drying rack comes with a brush

at the restaurants when he was sleeping we were allowed to bring our stroller into the restaurant. we never had an issues with being turned away while he was sleeping from being brought to the table.

My son loved evyerhing more than i imagined he would. He loved the characters and the characters breakfasts and the rides he enjoyed too

any other questions feel free to ask me! We can't wait to go back!
Glad you had a great trip! Did you need headphones for fireworks or loud indoor rides/shows?
Did you need anything for plugged ears or try to feed him at take off and landing? We are going with our DD who will be 13 months old.

Glad you had a great trip! Did you need headphones for fireworks or loud indoor rides/shows?
Did you need anything for plugged ears or try to feed him at take off and landing? We are going with our DD who will be 13 months old.

No did not need ear plugs. I just went for a second time when my son was 20 months this past may again the only thing sound wise he got a little scared of was the mid day castle show there was fireworks but ti was so short it was like only for a second. i do not think its worth bringing any sort of ear stuff. He did not get scared of anything else.

I gave him a bottle on take off and then he slept

DH and I will be going with our 3 adult sons, 2 wives and 2 13-month-olds for the first time. DH and 2 sons will be driving (a car that will not fit everyone), so we will have a car if the parents want to use it for park days (not MK) since we are staying at AKV. The rest of us are flying but the babies don't have their own seats (we are trying to be as economical as possible, if that's possible :rolleyes:). We'll bring the car seats. We will have a fold-up double stroller. I think one daughter-in-law will want to wear the baby.

Interesting about your child not needing ear plugs - that's awesome! I would think that totally depends on the child.

Trying to plan for early mornings at the park until late afternoon, then relax time at the resort. One night for HEA and one night for Illuminations, but we won't get to the parks until a little later those days.

Thanks for your suggestions! Anything else you can add is greatly appreciated!

Totally agree. Once our son got to 1-1.5 we also found buying a seat to be the better option. For our second we waited longer to start buying her a seat since she could share a middle seat with her brother.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter