Disney with an 8 month old? Tips or advice would be wonderful.

A stroller they will sleep in and is comfortable to push. Yes an umbrella stroller can be a bit easier on a bus but even the best umbrella strollers are not as nap friendly or pushing friendly as other strollers. You will be pushing it for up to 12 hours a day vs 20 minutes on a bus.
don’t over pack for the parks. One backpack is all we brought for both our kids. You can get just about everything you need in the parks at the baby care center. Use the time waiting For the bus at the end of your day to repack anything that was taken out of the back pack. One person is in charge of the stroller the other the backpack and kid. When you get to the front pop out the kid if you haven’t already and go. Don’t wait until you get tot eh front to realize you have to fold the stroller. If the bus is full, stand to the side another will come soon. It’s better to be sitting than trying to juggle a kid and hold on. Don’tstay until the bitter end. We kept our schedule relatively the same as at home and maybe we had shorter days in the parks but they were happier.
We tried to do a nap break once and it was a disaster. No one napped. Instead we pulled down the hood of the stroller, leaned back the seat and walked until they fell asleep. They would sleep a good couple of hours that way and we would switch off on rides or even just sit and rest and people watch.

A couple of additional thoughts:

Don't make hard plans for anything. Listen to baby and make the calls accordingly. Even 8 month olds can be overstimulated by their surroundings. Maybe that means go out in the morning, and the evenings, and stay at the resort midday. Maybe that means baby is fussy and miserable and just needs to hang at the resort all day. Certainly adults in the party could take shifts so everyone gets out, but don't worry about "wasting" Disney time because you can't get to a park. No one is going to enjoy the park anyway if the baby is miserable. Bringing some board games or card games for adults to play to be social and have fun isn't a bad idea.

Some babies respond to humidity differently. Don't overpack, but having a few changes of clothing and more frequent diaper changes when you're in the parks are a good plan to prevent general discomfort and diaper rash. I was just there this past Feb and I saw so many miserable babies and their equally miserable families, and I could only think,"Who is making wonderful memories right now? No one." Know when to call it and let that be okay. Particularly for first time parents, it's okay to not get every photo op with baby. You're DVC. There will be more trips.

Take a break during the day, take the kids out of the park during mid-day for a nap or downtime. Our first trip to WDW was when my daughter was about 8 months old. She loved it but I know each child will react to all that stimulation the parks offer differently.
Also, keep their normal routine as much as possible. If the child is an early riser, then get to park early and bug out when crowd gets to be too much. You can always return in the evenings for dinner, parade or whatever.

We took our 9 month old last December. I wore him in a front baby carrier a lot of the time and we also brought our Uppababy stroller so he could nap comfortably- it reclines and has a huge canopy. We brought a little portable sound machine for the stroller since he sleeps with one in his nursery. We have 6 year-old twins as well so we did take a "middle of the day" break back at the hotel, but the baby took naps in the stroller, and was totally content. It was a good chance for him to crawl around and stretch out though. If baby is still nursing, the very best piece of advice I got was to practice nursing him in the carrier prior to our trip. It was so much easier than I thought- just loosen the shoulder straps so the baby sits at the right height and voila- easy nursing! It was great not to have to head back to the Baby Care Center every time he needed to nurse. I would drape a thin muslin swaddle over him for privacy, but honestly you couldn't see anything even without it. There are baby changing tables at pretty much every bathroom. Congratulations on your new family member :) Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!