Disney with an ICD

twix516

Mouseketeer
Good morning! I am heading to Orlando in about a week and a half and will be spending one day/night at Universal. About 2.5 years ago I had an ICD (pacemaker/defibrillator but I do not need it for any pacing) implanted as a result of a random cardiac arrest following an emergency c-section. My cardiologist is 99.9% positive that I do not need the ICD, but wanted to implant one in the abundance of caution. I have already spoken to him about riding the rides at both Universal and Disney and he has given me the green light to do what I want.

My question is that I know both parks now have metal detectors at the entrances. I have always avoided metal detectors (although my Dr. has said there is no need to) as a precaution, but I have read online that Universal will blacklist you from riding any rides at all in the park if they find out you have a device implanted (regardless of the fact that I have my Dr.'s permission). I already intend to avoid the rides with the metal detectors in the line (Hulk, RRR and Dragon Challenge), but I don't want to be blacklisted from all rides if I ask for a pat down at the park entrance.

Anyone have any insight or advice? This is stressing me out! We paid a lot of money to do one night in Universal before Disney and paid extra to stay on an on site hotel with express pass benefits and I don't want it to all be a waste!

I posted this in the Universal forum as well!

I know for Disney they will hand wind you all you need to do is say where on your body and what the device is. ( you are not the only one that will come into the parks with this). I do not know about universal

if you dr say Metel doctors are ok for you then you can go thought them if you would like at Universal and just be wonder at Disney ( this way universal has no idea and you can do the rides you want)

Thanks! I think I might try my luck at going through the detectors and hope I don't set them off!

if you do set it off just tell them you have a internal medical device a there are a number of them ( pacemakers, pain medicine , extra so it really is not that uncommon ) that they may not even question it.

At least at Disney, you just tell them you have an internal device and cannot use a metal detector. They will use a wand. They never use pat downs.

Disney security, at least, does not tell anyone else who uses the wand versus the metal detectors, so there is no concern that you will be marked down as "unsafe" for rides.

I am not sure if Universal makes note of who does not go through a metal detector, but I would be interested to know.

I have read online that Universal will blacklist you from riding any rides at all in the park if they find out you have a device implanted (regardless of the fact that I have my Dr.'s permission). I already intend to avoid the rides with the metal detectors in the line (Hulk, RRR and Dragon Challenge), but I don't want to be blacklisted from all rides if I ask for a pat down at the park entrance.

Well this certainly seems like a load of crap. So, if you have a metal rod somewhere, they won't let you ride some of the rides? Ridiculous. Reason #5,098,462 why I'm never going to Universal.

I also have an ICD. I was told to avoid the metal detectors due to the magnetic fields involved. It is my understanding that it can mess with the setting on my ICD. Just stating my experience.

Hi! I'm wondering how your trip turned out. I also have an ICD and am going to Disney World and Universal next month. I really want to ride Avatar and also the Harry Potter ride.
Good morning! I am heading to Orlando in about a week and a half and will be spending one day/night at Universal. About 2.5 years ago I had an ICD (pacemaker/defibrillator but I do not need it for any pacing) implanted as a result of a random cardiac arrest following an emergency c-section. My cardiologist is 99.9% positive that I do not need the ICD, but wanted to implant one in the abundance of caution. I have already spoken to him about riding the rides at both Universal and Disney and he has given me the green light to do what I want.

My question is that I know both parks now have metal detectors at the entrances. I have always avoided metal detectors (although my Dr. has said there is no need to) as a precaution, but I have read online that Universal will blacklist you from riding any rides at all in the park if they find out you have a device implanted (regardless of the fact that I have my Dr.'s permission). I already intend to avoid the rides with the metal detectors in the line (Hulk, RRR and Dragon Challenge), but I don't want to be blacklisted from all rides if I ask for a pat down at the park entrance.

Anyone have any insight or advice? This is stressing me out! We paid a lot of money to do one night in Universal before Disney and paid extra to stay on an on site hotel with express pass benefits and I don't want it to all be a waste!

I posted this in the Universal forum as well!

Hi! I'm wondering how your trip turned out. I also have an ICD and am going to Disney World and Universal next month. I really want to ride Avatar and also the Harry Potter ride.

Hi! Trip was great! I rode every ride at Universal including all coasters and Harry Potter. I jut walked through the metal detectors and went on the rides. We are going back to Disney in December and I intend to ride Avatar without a second thought!

Hi! Trip was great! I rode every ride at Universal including all coasters and Harry Potter. I jut walked through the metal detectors and went on the rides. We are going back to Disney in December and I intend to ride Avatar without a second thought!
Yay! I will confidently do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter