Disney World needs to reopen and STAY OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I suggest that you and a few others really need to educate yourselves. Positive rate means nothing if testing is low and its not used as a measure globally. SirDuff has been trying to explain because a few of you seem to use this as some type of indicator when really it's almost useless in this case.

The PP's link literally says:

The rate of positivity is an important indicator because it can provide insights into whether a community is conducting enough testing to find cases. If a community’s positivity is high, it suggests that that community may largely be testing the sickest patients and possibly missing milder or asymptomatic cases. A lower positivity may indicate that a community is including in its testing patients with milder or no symptoms

Nothing about it being "the standard of how bad an area is". Unless you mean how bad the area is at testing.

...To this day, I have not so much as asked my mother about what I heard that night. I’ve never told anybody, except that recently, I did tell my kids about it to make the point that they must never go back to China, like the way the Bible tells the Israelites to never go back to Egypt. My kids immediately looked up Wikipedia and found that there was indeed a record of such a protest at the time, though it says “there were no injuries.” Um, whatever. My point is, you don’t protest against dictators.
I made it all the way to the end and thought I'd helpfully post this link for you. Perhaps you've googled a different version of Wikipedia. You and your children really owe it to yourselves to learn the truth about Tiananmen Square.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tiananmen_Square_protests

Last edited:

Florida has in round numbers 200,000 total cases with 3731 deaths. A population of 21.48 million people. That is an infection rate of.00814% with a death rate of .00017
In 2018 Florida had 2915 deaths by auto accident. In 2018 Florida had (per the cdc) 3091 influenza deaths at .00014%. 2018 was a mild flu season.

I don’t see those numbers as a mess. It is a disease running its course and appears (anticdotaly speaking as I have no solid data) to be attenuating as most virus do.

My point is remove all the hype and scare tactics and rationally look at the numbers it is not valid to kill your economy over this. If it is we need to do that every flu season among other things that kill people. We weigh the risk of living and make decision as to what we are comfortable doing and not doing. That is different for every person, my level of risk that I’m willing to accept is different from yours. That’s okay. It’s not personal and would like it if we would remove the politics from it.

Life is messy it’s hard it’s frustrating it’s fun it’s exciting, never easy.

If you heard there were 200,000 snipers in the state of Florida would you still go? I bet the streets would be like ghost towns.

Heck, my province ‘only’ has 16 cases but if there were 16 snipers you bet I’d be staying inside with the doors locked...like I already am.

If you heard there were 200,000 snipers in the state of Florida would you still go? I bet the streets would be like ghost towns.

Heck, my province ‘only’ has 16 cases but if there were 16 snipers you bet I’d be staying inside with the doors locked...like I already am.
Nice try that is a ridiculous analogy. Your trying to say everyone of those people will kill several people. The numbers don’t even come close. Do you not every leave your house, as there are many more things with greater death tolls every year in your province. Your sniper analogy is foolish. If you want to stay in I could careless, I don’t want you mandating that I have to be locked in there as well.

Except some hospitals getting close to reaching their capacity and other treatments have to be delayed, or a shortage of medical personnel. The issue if a country/county/city have many deaths or just a few is not really relevant anymore, neither is the death % of one disease over the other.
It's about keeping the infections low so the hospitals have a good chance to treat everyone and also those with other diseases. If your hospital is at capacity for ICU beds, and you get into a car accident, you might have to go to a hospital further away, which might not improve your chances of surviving.

What we see in my country is that even though, our spread is low and there is plenty of capacity at hospitals again and on the ICU, people avoid going to the doctor. Which is probably a normal human respons, after hearing for so long not to bother doctors and hospitals unless it's absolutely necessary. However, this can lead to a late diagnosis which in the long run can also hurt people.

That's why you want the distance, the masks and the other measures, like avoiding crowds and keeping places that attract crowds closed till the hospitals can handle it again. Comfortably.
We did the flatten the curve. Our hospitals across the country are actually financial struggling due to lack of patients. As for masks we can debate that as well, but I believe we will just have to agree to disagree. Short of a miracle vaccine (which I will believe when I see an effective one) I think the only way through this is live life and if you get it you take your chances and move on.

What? Who are you answering here?
I'm not 100% sure why it matters :confused3, but I'm answering the posters I quoted. First two responses are to the OP in direct response to statements made. Third response is to a combination of a statement made by one poster and the series of question marks responding to that statement. A poster probably erroneously assumed OK is male; another poster cryptically corrected that assumption, and another poster questioned the response.

We did the flatten the curve. Our hospitals across the country are actually financial struggling due to lack of patients. As for masks we can debate that as well, but I believe we will just have to agree to disagree. Short of a miracle vaccine (which I will believe when I see an effective one) I think the only way through this is live life and if you get it you take your chances and move on.
Driving safely and wearing seatbelts reduce the chance of death in a car accident. Would you not wear a seat belt and take your chances and move on? Or would you take basic precautions, even though most car rides do not turn into crashes?

I personally found it very entertaining- I think it’s the way it’s written, it’s excellent, with the insights jumping around- I just didn’t know where it was going next. The clubbing bit really came as a surprise.

I agree.
She doesn’t post very often, but when she does, it’s always a fun read.:crazy:

Lived through a sniper in Washington, DC area. Within 13 calendar months, DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) lived through 9/11 and aftermath, anthrax and a 3 week sniper episode. People still showed up to work, rode the Metro, shopped and dined. Sniper and Covid patients aren’t exactly analogous.

I'm not 100% sure why it matters :confused3, but I'm answering the posters I quoted. First two responses are to the OP in direct response to statements made. Third response is to a combination of a statement made by one poster and the series of question marks responding to that statement. A poster probably erroneously assumed OK is male; another poster cryptically corrected that assumption, and another poster questioned the response.
I think I was misquoted that’s where this all started. I got lumped into the male or female thing. I was responding to the ????? About Wikipedia.

This is a truly remarkable post, and at first I thought that it was an attempt at satire, considering the failed analogy, and the location of the poster in a place virtually virus-free.

https://covid-19-status.ca/mb.html
325 total cases ever in a population of 1,38 million, with 7 deaths ever
16 active cases, 0 in ICU, 0 in hospital
12 in hospital at one time (highest ever) on 7th April
No cases in ICU since 29th April, no cases in hospital since 23rd May
One of the lowest international visitor rates in the country, with the vast majority unable to enter this year and therefore very low risk of introducing the virus from outside the country.

Unfortunately, the response to the pandemic has resulted in significant mental health issues as witnessed by posts here and on other sites such as Reddit. The response is completely out of proportion to the scope of the virus in some parts of the world, and the almost impossible goal of zero cases seems to have exacerbated mental health issues amongst some people.

The reality is that we cannot keep the world shut down forever. There are many countries which are successfully opening, and even there is now discussion if Europe in general shut down too much. In Germany, mask restrictions are already lifted in one state and will be lifted in several more very soon. Countries in Europe are open to leisure visitors again. And yet, the death rates continue to drop to almost nothing. Where there is a rise in cases, there is the plan implemented of local restrictions.

Most countries which have opened restrictions when the timing is right seem to be doing fine. The challenge will be for those who seem to plan for long term isolationist strategies, as they don't seem to have an exit strategy that balances reopening with the reality that cases will rise as a result but can be managed effectively.

Lived through a sniper in Washington, DC area. Within 13 calendar months, DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) lived through 9/11 and aftermath, anthrax and a 3 week sniper episode. People still showed up to work, rode the Metro, shopped and dined. Sniper and Covid patients aren’t exactly analogous.
It is a completely false analogy.

I was in DC and VA and MD during the period of the sniper episode, and in DC area about two weeks after 9/11. I had a one week period in late March of being hyper aware of the virus, and being overly cautious about sanitizing, going outside, etc. Then I realised that in my normal life, I spend a lot of time in places with active malaria, yellow fever, etc. I take in my normal life, in places with high rates of terrorism, commuting to work by airplane and train, travelling on non-regulated transportation, etc.

Thankfully, other than that momentary lapse of a few days, I did not let fear overtake rationality.

Driving safely and wearing seatbelts reduce the chance of death in a car accident. Would you not wear a seat belt and take your chances and move on? Or would you take basic precautions, even though most car rides do not turn into crashes?
Interesting analogy, heavier cars also reduce deaths in automobile accidents, yet cafe standards mandated lighter cars to decrease fuel usage. I guess it all depends on what we are willing to do or give up to make life safer. So all of life/death is a balancing act of the risk we are willing to take.

Interesting analogy, heavier cars also reduce deaths in automobile accidents, yet cafe standards mandated lighter cars to decrease fuel usage. I guess it all depends on what we are willing to do or give up to make life safer. So all of life/death is a balancing act of the risk we are willing to take.
I actually am part of a 'cancer and COVID' group. I had to finally dig out the 'daily deaths from cancer' stats to show people that they are living in areas with very low COVID stats, but that many, MANY more people are dying daily from cancer. I know that isn't a great analogy, but the reality is that we have never seen the media list every single day the number of new cases, deaths, hospitalizations etc from any other illness such as the flu, zika, malaria, etc.

I'm sure if there was a daily ticker that shows 'daily new COVID cases, daily new cancer diagnoses, daily new cardiac diagnoses' and the corresponding deaths for each, it would be eye opening for people.

Edited to add: 7.5 deaths from cancer PER DAY in that poster's province, vs 7 deaths from COVID TOTAL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter