Disney World needs to reopen and STAY OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually am part of a 'cancer and COVID' group. I had to finally dig out the 'daily deaths from cancer' stats to show people that they are living in areas with very low COVID stats, but that many, MANY more people are dying daily from cancer. I know that isn't a great analogy, but the reality is that we have never seen the media list every single day the number of new cases, deaths, hospitalizations etc from any other illness such as the flu, zika, malaria, etc.

I'm sure if there was a daily ticker that shows 'daily new COVID cases, daily new cancer diagnoses, daily new cardiac diagnoses' and the corresponding deaths for each, it would be eye opening for people.
I believe you are speaking a truth many need to hear, but will fail to open themselves up to it.

I hope you are not battling cancer, if so stay strong. Advancement are coming at mind boggling speed. I tell my patients all the time that 100 years ago there were no antibiotic, look at us now.

No country or time in history it has ever been better to live.

Nice try that is a ridiculous analogy. Your trying to say everyone of those people will kill several people. The numbers don’t even come close. Do you not every leave your house, as there are many more things with greater death tolls every year in your province. Your sniper analogy is foolish. If you want to stay in I could careless, I don’t want you mandating that I have to be locked in there as well.
This is a truly remarkable post, and at first I thought that it was an attempt at satire, considering the failed analogy, and the location of the poster in a place virtually virus-free.

https://covid-19-status.ca/mb.html
325 total cases ever in a population of 1,38 million, with 7 deaths ever
16 active cases, 0 in ICU, 0 in hospital
12 in hospital at one time (highest ever) on 7th April
No cases in ICU since 29th April, no cases in hospital since 23rd May
One of the lowest international visitor rates in the country, with the vast majority unable to enter this year and therefore very low risk of introducing the virus from outside the country.

Unfortunately, the response to the pandemic has resulted in significant mental health issues as witnessed by posts here and on other sites such as Reddit. The response is completely out of proportion to the scope of the virus in some parts of the world, and the almost impossible goal of zero cases seems to have exacerbated mental health issues amongst some people.

The reality is that we cannot keep the world shut down forever. There are many countries which are successfully opening, and even there is now discussion if Europe in general shut down too much. In Germany, mask restrictions are already lifted in one state and will be lifted in several more very soon. Countries in Europe are open to leisure visitors again. And yet, the death rates continue to drop to almost nothing. Where there is a rise in cases, there is the plan implemented of local restrictions.

Most countries which have opened restrictions when the timing is right seem to be doing fine. The challenge will be for those who seem to plan for long term isolationist strategies, as they don't seem to have an exit strategy that balances reopening with the reality that cases will rise as a result but can be managed effectively.

Do you know why our numbers are so low?

Because we LISTEN. Because we CARE about other people. Because we TRUST our government (you get a pass on this one). We shut down for a month or so and look what we get to enjoy now. And, we still have restrictions.

We are the example, not the anomaly.

[/QUOTE] unfortunately the response to the pandemic has resulted in significant mental health issues as witnessed by posts here and on other sites such as Reddit. The response is completely out of proportion to the scope of the virus in some parts of the world, and the almost impossible goal of zero cases seems to have exacerbated mental health issues amongst some people.
Most countries which have opened restrictions when the timing is right seem to be doing fine. The challenge will be for those who seem to plan for long term isolationist strategies, as they don't seem to have an exit strategy that balances reopening with the reality that cases will rise as a result but can be managed effectively.
[/QUOTE]

Trust me, a lot of us in these parts would feel just as confident as you if Angela Merkel was heading up our response to the virus. Germany did an amazing job. However, we have no federal response. It's every state and in some cases, regions for themselves. So, many of us who stayed inside for months in the northeast are understandably concerned to see the virus accelerating in the South and West. We don't have "embers" to put out, the south has a big, big problem. Other states as well. On our news here, I recall recently seeing that a certain area of Germany had to go back into quarantine because of an outbreak at a meatpacking plant. That's an ember. The forest is on fire around here. And also, I think we're all too familiar with the mental health effects and the economic effects, and the political effects. We get it. We're living it.

Trust me, a lot of us in these parts would feel just as confident as you if Angela Merkel was heading up our response to the virus. Germany did an amazing job. However, we have no federal response. It's every state and in some cases, regions for themselves. So, many of us who stayed inside for months in the northeast are understandably concerned to see the virus accelerating in the South and West. We don't have "embers" to put out, the south has a big, big problem. Other states as well. On our news here, I recall recently seeing that a certain area of Germany had to go back into quarantine because of an outbreak at a meatpacking plant. That's an ember. The forest is on fire around here. And also, I think we're all too familiar with the mental health effects and the economic effects, and the political effects. We get it. We're living it.
I will say to you, but more so to the ones from other countries who seem to want to gloat what I said earlier on another thread to someone else who felt the need to repeatedly tell American posters what they already know:

And as I noted earlier, Ontario isn't doing so well either, compared to the rest of Canada. Unless Doug Ford is posting here, there really isn't any one poster who can claim credit for the outcomes.

I don't see the point of repeatedly telling Americans essentially 'you suck', yet there are people online doing just that. I'm quite sure that everyone posting here knows that the United States is having a challenging time, just as the UK did, and Italy, and Sweden. It's sad to see people view this as a competition, when the game pieces are human lives.

If you are living in an area which has managed to come into the downward curve quite well, be grateful, but know that most likely you personally did not do that much to cause that to occur (other than to stay home if possible, and that wasn't possible for everyone) I didn't vote for Merkel, so I cannot even take credit for that.

Because we LISTEN. Because we CARE about other people. Because we TRUST our government (you get a pass on this one). We shut down for a month or so and look what we get to enjoy now. And, we still have restrictions.

This is one example of what I am referring to above, but certainly not the only one. I don't see any value in telling the people here what they already know, and what they are struggling with. They are in the fire, and those of us who came through it (or those who just sat near and felt a bit of heat) certainly shouldn't be gloating, or taking any pleasure, in the fact that people are dying in large numbers in the US, and in Brazil.

I believe you are speaking a truth many need to hear, but will fail to open themselves up to it.

I hope you are not battling cancer, if so stay strong. Advancement are coming at mind boggling speed. I tell my patients all the time that 100 years ago there were no antibiotic, look at us now.

No country or time in history it has ever been better to live.
Thank you for your kind words. I am unfortunately dealing with surgeries related to cancer in the time of COVID, which I certainly don't recommend. But I will have a good outcome, just extra bored at this point :)

In this instance actually the US seems to have been a bit better, ironically due to the user pay health care which continued to function. I hear from many Americans with cancer that their treatments, and surgeries, and tests, were not delayed. For those of us in countries with social medicine, we are seriously backlogged even if we did not have huge COVID issues. So there is one positive I suppose in all this for many in the US.

I will say to you, but more so to the ones from other countries who seem to want to gloat what I said earlier on another thread to someone else who felt the need to repeatedly tell American posters what they already know:

And as I noted earlier, Ontario isn't doing so well either, compared to the rest of Canada. Unless Doug Ford is posting here, there really isn't any one poster who can claim credit for the outcomes.

I don't see the point of repeatedly telling Americans essentially 'you suck', yet there are people online doing just that. I'm quite sure that everyone posting here knows that the United States is having a challenging time, just as the UK did, and Italy, and Sweden. It's sad to see people view this as a competition, when the game pieces are human lives.

If you are living in an area which has managed to come into the downward curve quite well, be grateful, but know that most likely you personally did not do that much to cause that to occur (other than to stay home if possible, and that wasn't possible for everyone) I didn't vote for Merkel, so I cannot even take credit for that.

This is one example of what I am referring to above, but certainly not the only one. I don't see any value in telling the people here what they already know, and what they are struggling with. They are in the fire, and those of us who came through it (or those who just sat near and felt a bit of heat) certainly shouldn't be gloating, or taking any pleasure, in the fact that people are dying in large numbers in the US, and in Brazil.

You misunderstood my post if you think I’m gloating. I’m not. It’s awful what is happening in the US. I know the many are being overtaken by the few. You can search other posts I have made about this whole mess. Nothing but sympathy...for those staying home and socially distancing and wearing masks when they go out. It’s irresponsible to do anything less. I don’t wish anyone sick, but you have to meet people halfway.

I double downed my bet from OP’s post in May about not going to WDW amongst Coronavirus.

Rollin’ the dice. 🎲🎲 Luck be a middle age lady tonight! 🤣

Skyliner has its own paragraph! SCORE!

Winner winner chicken dinner!!:woohoo:

You misunderstood my post if you think I’m gloating. I’m not. It’s awful what is happening in the US. I know the many are being overtaken by the few. You can search other posts I have made about this whole mess. Nothing but sympathy...for those staying home and socially distancing and wearing masks when they go out. It’s irresponsible to do anything less. I don’t wish anyone sick, but you have to meet people halfway.
I did go back and do a quick review of the post history, hence my post. The people posting here know that they are in the fire. They don't need anyone throwing coal at them right now from outside.

On a somewhat related note, the situation in South Africa is becoming dire. They had one of the most strict lockdowns in the world for over two months, and cases and deaths were low and assumed because of their strain of TB vaccine. My friends were stopped on the way home from grocery shopping (1km radius permitted) and cautioned by the military for buying 'non-essential' sweets. Cigarette sales were stopped for months, and those who could afford it turned to pot smoking, to the benefit of dealers.

Well, such lockdowns just cannot work in a country like South Africa. It benefits the middle and upper economic classes, while placing even more pressure on the poor. They have now exited the lockdown, and cases are rising at an alarming rate. Meanwhile the poor just became even more poor (a situation which I cannot fathom, knowing the country well) Similar situations are occurring in India, in Brazil and in any country with a small group of wealthy/well off citizens, and a larger majority of poor.

We get to enjoy FREEDOM, because we care about QUALITY of life and have INTELLIGENCE to question our government.

Thank you for your kind words. I am unfortunately dealing with surgeries related to cancer in the time of COVID, which I certainly don't recommend. But I will have a good outcome, just extra bored at this point :)

In this instance actually the US seems to have been a bit better, ironically due to the user pay health care which continued to function. I hear from many Americans with cancer that their treatments, and surgeries, and tests, were not delayed. For those of us in countries with social medicine, we are seriously backlogged even if we did not have huge COVID issues. So there is one positive I suppose in all this for many in the US.
I will pray for your health and healing. Sounds like you have the right positive mental attitude.

We get to enjoy FREEDOM, because we care about QUALITY of life and have INTELLIGENCE to question our government.
I'm at a loss to understand why some of us outside the US should be patting ourselves on the back right now. We didn't do much, except stay home, or go for endless solitary walks. It's not like we had much choice in the matter, believe me. And it's not like there were really strict rules in a lot of places, even in regards to mask wearing.

As I noted elsewhere, it's not like I even voted for Merkel. The last political event I attended was hosted by the Left, and I've voted for the Pirate party before, and the Greens, so I'm pretty far removed from her party. (I do admire a lot of what she has done in recent years, but I certainly cannot even take credit for her being in power)

So, other than the accident of birth (or choosing where we live, before the pandemic), what really do those of us in 'successful' countries have to be proud of? I'm really not sure, because none of us here implemented public policy, or led the state/country/province through this. We just sat on our sofas...

Educated and experienced Government scientists and epidemiologists: "wear masks and socially distance to reduce the spread of this potentially fatal or life-changing new disease for which there is no cure and no vaccination eta."
Random residents: "Pfhfht!"

I guess I missed the memo about Canadians losing our freedom?

Have a good night :wave:
Meh...it's impossible to win here on the DIS. You're too cautious, someone implies you're mentally ill. You participate in permitted activities 100% in keeping with the staged relaunching and you're irresponsible. I was accused twice today by people half-a-continent away of being the reason "we" can't get this thing under control. :sad2:

Meh...it's impossible to win here on the DIS. You're too cautious, someone implies you're mentally ill. You participate in permitted activities 100% in keeping with the staged relaunching and you're irresponsible. I was accused twice today by people half-a-continent away of being the reason "we" can't get this thing under control. :sad2:

I didn’t know whether to like this one, or heart eyes it, or laugh at it, or be shocked by it. As long as you’re following guidelines, have all the fun you want.

I actually am part of a 'cancer and COVID' group. I had to finally dig out the 'daily deaths from cancer' stats to show people that they are living in areas with very low COVID stats, but that many, MANY more people are dying daily from cancer. I know that isn't a great analogy, but the reality is that we have never seen the media list every single day the number of new cases, deaths, hospitalizations etc from any other illness such as the flu, zika, malaria, etc.

I'm sure if there was a daily ticker that shows 'daily new COVID cases, daily new cancer diagnoses, daily new cardiac diagnoses' and the corresponding deaths for each, it would be eye opening for people.

Edited to add: 7.5 deaths from cancer PER DAY in that poster's province, vs 7 deaths from COVID TOTAL.

Really feel for you. If you can get BBC iPlayer you may be interested in this week’s Panorama programme here in the UK, just been watching a package on it on BBC News just now, think it’s on tonight- apparently there are now going to be up to 30,000 avoidable cancer deaths here - more than the scientific group wanting easing of lockdown to reverse we have here, are saying will die from Covid.

Really feel for you. If you can get BBC iPlayer you may be interested in this week’s Panorama programme here in the UK, just been watching a package on it on BBC News just now, think it’s on tonight- apparently there are now going to be up to 30,000 avoidable cancer deaths here - more than the scientific group wanting easing of lockdown to reverse we have here, are saying will die from Covid.
Thank you, that's very kind. I'll be on the lookout for that and I do see the BBC regularly. It's quite alarming how much 'collateral damage' will occur in the near future in many countries. I had a difficult time dealing with it mentally earlier this year that we just were not as 'important' as the COVID patients, but I managed to overcome that frustration.

It's definitely clear though that some medical systems are still not back to normal, and are still in waiting mode. I am checking back with my surgeon for a different surgery, but I suspect that has been moved to mid-2021 (fortunately not life threatening!)

Good health to us all :)

I stopped after the first paragraph. I could see where it was going, and that it was completely wrongheaded. Florida NEVER really shut down, and then opened up to "normal" far too quickly. They are reaping their reward for that behavior. Further opening it up is going to lead to more "rewards." It's idiotic, but fortunately, I have zero plans to visit Florida (or any other hot spot state) anytime soon. Just please don't be on here a month for now, OP, asking for prayers for you (or someone you love) fighting Covid.

Agree !! I wouldn’t go to WDW even if it was free ! Nope .. not worth it , it is not worth your life . I think people simply have zero priorities in life .

For what's it's worth, I didn't read your post that way at all. And you are absolutely right, that we all need to meet each other halfway. We all need to wear masks. I really don't care if anyone thinks that their "civil liberties" are being violated. This mask thing has been politicized. And it's having deadly consequences. States in the South opened before meeting the guidelines and benchmarks put out by our C.D.C, effectively hurting not just the residents of their states, but all of us. Because people are moving freely around our country. And this is how we come back to places like Universal, and especially Disney. You are inviting people from other states to drive and more dangerously....to fly in, get this virus, and take it home. It's incredibly irresponsible.

I'm not saying they should shut down indefinitely, but to open up now....as cases are soaring, is putting peoples' lives at risk. There's no other way to look at it at this point. Wait until Florida begins to flatten the curve. I heard Scott Gottlieb, former head of the F.D.A say that there are private models that show Florida peaking in the next 3 weeks, but he didn't see that happening with the state as open as they are right now. It took the NY Metro area 3 weeks to peak and that was after we completely shut down for 3 weeks. They've already got tens of thousands of cases baked into the cake. Gottlieb thinks it's unlikely that Florida peaks in the next 3 weeks. He also said that the southern states are going to have a tough time opening up schools with the level of transmission they have. Even if schools open, a lot of parents may keep them home.

Thomas Bossert, former Homeland Security Advisor for this administration tweeted yesterday. "We are in trouble" "Masks are important, but not enough." He went on to cite statistics in several of the states and said that multiple interventions need to be combined to have a substantial impact on transmission.

And so much of the fear of this virus here in the U.S. is being fueled by the fact that we aren't hearing from the experts, by design. Margaret Brennan, of Face the Nation, did something unusual yesterday. She told the audience that they've been trying for weeks to book Dr. Fauci but that he could not get "clearance" to come on the show. Let's face it, Fauci's message, also known as the truth, doesn't fit the narrative being pedaled....that it's going away, that there are just embers here and there. That strategy is backfiring because any sane person knows it's not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter