Disney World needs to reopen and STAY OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say to you, but more so to the ones from other countries who seem to want to gloat what I said earlier on another thread to someone else who felt the need to repeatedly tell American posters what they already know:

And as I noted earlier, Ontario isn't doing so well either, compared to the rest of Canada. Unless Doug Ford is posting here, there really isn't any one poster who can claim credit for the outcomes.

I don't see the point of repeatedly telling Americans essentially 'you suck', yet there are people online doing just that. I'm quite sure that everyone posting here knows that the United States is having a challenging time, just as the UK did, and Italy, and Sweden. It's sad to see people view this as a competition, when the game pieces are human lives.

If you are living in an area which has managed to come into the downward curve quite well, be grateful, but know that most likely you personally did not do that much to cause that to occur (other than to stay home if possible, and that wasn't possible for everyone) I didn't vote for Merkel, so I cannot even take credit for that.

This is one example of what I am referring to above, but certainly not the only one. I don't see any value in telling the people here what they already know, and what they are struggling with. They are in the fire, and those of us who came through it (or those who just sat near and felt a bit of heat) certainly shouldn't be gloating, or taking any pleasure, in the fact that people are dying in large numbers in the US, and in Brazil.

I can definitely tell that your post is coming from a really kind and informed place.
As someone living near the fire (I'm in the northeast).... I actually think it's really important to keep telling people in the US that there *is* another way, and that our way is, in fact, pretty crappy. Unfortunately many, mayn, many people in the US are sitting smack in the middle of the fire and refusing to believe that they're getting warm.

I will say to you, but more so to the ones from other countries who seem to want to gloat what I said earlier on another thread to someone else who felt the need to repeatedly tell American posters what they already know:

And as I noted earlier, Ontario isn't doing so well either, compared to the rest of Canada. Unless Doug Ford is posting here, there really isn't any one poster who can claim credit for the outcomes.

I don't see the point of repeatedly telling Americans essentially 'you suck', yet there are people online doing just that. I'm quite sure that everyone posting here knows that the United States is having a challenging time, just as the UK did, and Italy, and Sweden. It's sad to see people view this as a competition, when the game pieces are human lives.

If you are living in an area which has managed to come into the downward curve quite well, be grateful, but know that most likely you personally did not do that much to cause that to occur (other than to stay home if possible, and that wasn't possible for everyone) I didn't vote for Merkel, so I cannot even take credit for that.

This is one example of what I am referring to above, but certainly not the only one. I don't see any value in telling the people here what they already know, and what they are struggling with. They are in the fire, and those of us who came through it (or those who just sat near and felt a bit of heat) certainly shouldn't be gloating, or taking any pleasure, in the fact that people are dying in large numbers in the US, and in Brazil.
It's obvious it needs to be repeated often for some Americans. Our federal (lack of) response is a **** show and the way some people are acting, you'd think being a decent human being is akin to sacrificing their first born child. The idiocy needs to be called out, often.

As far as what I bolded, I 100% disagree. How else do you think numbers are going to go down other than by people doing what they are supposed to be doing, by wearing masks, social distancing and staying home whenever possible? As we've seen, cases don't go down by doing nothing to stop the spread.

WDW should open and stay open if the rest of the state continues to remain open as such.
It’s hypocritical to allow crowded bars with no masks continue to be open but expect WDW to stay closed. Especially as Universal and others have shown they can open with heightened safety measures.

Much of WDW is outdoors and they will even require while Masks while outside. My gut feeling is if one were to venture outside of their home in Florida, Disney is probably the “safest” place one can be while out in public.
Keep in mind people can stay home if they choose to. But looking at the population of Florida and all other businesses, having Disney open is not gonna make or break the corona situation. They would have to do a complete state shut down again

My analogy for Florida: the horses are long out of the stable. And WDW is the horse I would pick.

I respectfully disagree, that is what gives life its flavor. It allows us multiple perspectives if we are open to the experience.

I guess the taste of utter defeat is a flavor.....because that's what our national response has been during this pandemic. The bitter taste of defeat with a overpowering after finish of unnecessary death and dying. But...to each her own I suppose. I'll pass.

Now that WDW is going to open in the face of spiking cases, they need to stick with it and not chicken out again like Disneyland is doing. It doesn’t matter how much covid spikes, it will eventually go away if Disney just holds on. If people don’t catch covid in Disney World, they’ll catch it somewhere else. Covid will continue to spread no matter what WDW does. Sooner or later, everybody will have caught it. If people die, they die, and Disney World will die right along with them if WDW stays closed much longer. If the cast members get covid, they will get over it, they are young. Even the young can’t get over starving to death, though.

Young people have died from coronavirus. And since you’re not going to WDW til 2022 anyway, what do you care if they stay open this year?

I guess the taste of utter defeat is a flavor.....because that's what our national response has been during this pandemic. The bitter taste of defeat with a overpowering after finish of unnecessary death and dying. But...to each her own I suppose. I'll pass.
Wow snark much. I see the opposite. I see a strong people living their lives as they see fit. The national response has been mostly okay, as this should be left to the states to make decisions. As state and local responses usually are more aware of the needs and concerns of the population. There is no one size fits all response to these pandemics.

Wow snark much. I see the opposite. I see a strong people living their lives as they see fit. The national response has been mostly okay, as this should be left to the states to make decisions. As state and local responses usually are more aware of the needs and concerns of the population. There is no one size fits all response to these pandemics.

The National response has been mostly okay? Really? Over 130,000 Americans are dead. Many, many thousands more to come. Tens of thousands more are still suffering with residual effects from COVID-19. We lost 3,000 people on 9/11 and we all felt like it was the worst thing that had happened in most of our lifetimes. Now it’s completely acceptable to be “mostly okay” in our efforts to save Americans? It’s completely pathetic.

"People living their lives as they see fit" is **exactly** the problem. Too many people in the US have this "me me me" mentality with no concern for how their actions may impact others.

The National response has been mostly okay? Really? Over 130,000 Americans are dead. Many, many thousands more to come. Tens of thousands more are still suffering with residual effects from COVID-19. We lost 3,000 people on 9/11 and we all felt like it was the worst thing that had happened in most of our lifetimes. Now it’s completely acceptable to be “mostly okay” in our efforts to save Americans? It’s completely pathetic.
Please don't start this again. When the border was closed to China initially, it was attacked as xenophobic by someone running for president right now and by most media. This act alone has since been credited with saving many, many lives. I really don't want points, but cannot let statements like yours stand without response.

This is one of the worst takes I've ever seen. If Disney stays open, the virus just wont "go away". It doesnt work like that.

You apparently have no perspective of history, and seem to think this is the first pandemic. Do you have this same feel for flu pandemics? You behave as if there is some magic government can do to stop the spread of disease. If so they should have done it for H1N1. Mostly okay means there are a few things I would like to have been done differently. Like the governors of New York, New Jersey and Minnesota not sending Covid infected people to nursing homes. 130,000 people passing away is sad, but everyone of us will get to experience it regardless of wether we live and behave as you feel we should. Any human life loss is sad. What is pathetic is your selective outrage and politicizing these losses.

Please don't start this again. When the border was closed to China initially, it was attacked as xenophobic by someone running for president right now and by most media. This act alone has since been credited with saving many, many lives. I really don't want points, but cannot let statements like yours stand without response.

When the border was closed to China in late January, it is now known that roughly two *thousand* cases were already here and circulating in the United States. There was already community spread. One would expect that the wealthiest nation on the globe with a C.D.C. that was once the envy of the world would have known that. One also would have expected that our government would have used the month of February to test like mad, contract trace and isolate the infected. Nope, didn’t happen. How about making or tracking down massive quantities of PPE. Nope, that didn’t happen either. We .*still* don’t have enough tests or PPE. Our contract tracing efforts are largely a joke. And thousands more will die as a result.

If you’re not angry about the response at this point, I honestly don’t know what to say.

You apparently have no perspective of history, and seem to think this is the first pandemic. Do you have this same feel for flu pandemics? You behave as if there is some magic government can do to stop the spread of disease. If so they should have done it for H1N1. Mostly okay means there are a few things I would like to have been done differently. Like the governors of New York, New Jersey and Minnesota not sending Covid infected people to nursing homes. 130,000 people passing away is sad, but everyone of us will get to experience it regardless of wether we live and behave as you feel we should. Any human life loss is sad. What is pathetic is your selective outrage and politicizing these losses.

I'm sorry if I come across as someone who is uninformed or uneducated. I was a critical care nurse for over 10 years. When my DH and I lived in Sunnyvale California in the late 90s, I worked at Kaiser Permanente in the I.C.U and occasionally on their step-down unit. As a nurse we had to do a lot of continuing education to maintain our license, and I actually attended a lecture series on infectious disease. One was given by an epidemiologist. Now, in no way am I saying that I attended Stanford...didn't have the grades for that, but I remember that lecture, and remember being fascinated by it. So, I am pretty clear on what a pandemic is. Do I have a rolodex of pandemics scrolling through my head? No. But, like you I am familiar with wikipedia and google.

And quite honestly, I'm not politicizing this pandemic at all. I, like many Americans, were hoping for....expecting.....a much better response to this pandemic. One that is led by public health officials, medical professionals and scientists. Politicians with "gut feelings" and pandemics....turn out to be a lethal combination. With each passing day, I am honestly shocked at how badly we're doing.

This is one of the worst takes I've ever seen. If Disney stays open, the virus just wont "go away". It doesnt work like that.
QOUTE
That’s also not completely accurate. That is how immunity works in a population. A majority develop immunity either through exposure or vaccination or a combination of the two. Also most viruses become less virulent the longer they are around. Sweden allowed the least susceptible people in its population to go about their lives, while protecting the elderly. Thus inoculating it’s least susceptible part of its population to develop “herd immunity “.

This is not the first time in history something like this has happened, nor will it be the last. If everything closes this virus is not going away. It will be nothing short of a miracle if there is a vaccine that is effective in the near future. Live your life within the risks you are comfortable with taking. 1967 100,000 died of the flu, 1957 116,000 1918 675,000 died of the flu. The last decade any where from 30,000 to 80,000 people died of the flu. Those numbers are with a vaccine. I am not being callused I’m trying to lend some perspective, as very few take the influenzas seriously enough to even get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter