Disneyland 1956 home movie

Thank you, that was interesting. Any relation to you or did you just find it?

For those who didn't watch, it is home movies from a family in the 50's who won a trip to DL. I skipped ahead after the first few minutes. Neat to see the stage coach and pack mules. The jungle cruise is sunny as the trees are much shorter. Also Tomorrowland is shown with all the flags. Main Street looks the same and different at the same time. I had been lately wondering what it would be like to have seen DL back then.

Oh, I saw this before. I didn't click on it, but recognize the description of the fam who won the DL prize in the 50's.

I love this for so many reasons. Not the least of which is the adorable voiceover. :)

It's kind of crazy to look at DL in comparison from then till now...I think it has really evolved beautifully over the years. When you look at it when it just opened, it looked much more "carnivalish" and open...even some of the rides had their guts fully exposed. These days, everything seems much more themed and cohesive. I like that when I'm inside the park, I can't see out to the highway. Really contributes to that total immersion experience.

Also...get a look at the color of the moat water outside the castle. I think whomever decided to dye it green is a genius.

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for the video link. My folks took my sister and I on our first visit to DL 50 years ago when I was a 6-year-old. My favorite attractions then and now look almost the same. I've always favored Fantasyland. The downside to that visit 50 years ago were the A-E ride ticket books. Glad those went away. I couldn't help but notice how fit everyone, including people in the crowds, looked in the film compared with the much heavier look of most guests these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter