Disneyland anxiety - please help

New England Eeyore

DIS Veteran
We have a trip to Disneyland scheduled for this December. My husband has a spinal condition and will use an ECV. We are experts on navigating WDW with a scooter, but this will be our first time at DL with one. (We have been to DL a couple times years ago in pre-scooter days.) From the time we booked the trip, his condition has deteriorated and he’s having trouble walking even short distances unassisted. Because I don’t feel as comfortable at DL like I do at WDW knowing the accessible entry points to the rides, how far you have to walk from where you leave the scooter, etc, I am having a lot of doubts about this trip and debating cancelling. I also know how crowded DL gets and am concerned with how he will get around on the scooter. He’s quite an expert at maneuvering and dealing with people walking in front of him, but again, the wide pathways of WDW are what we’re used to.

Our dates are Dec 11-15.We will have my adult daughter with us as well, so that’s two people to assist him into ride vehicles etc. We’re staying at the Disneyland Hotel so he should be able to head back to the hotel even by himself for breaks as needed.

Regular life has gotten so very challenging over the past few months. This was going to be a special birthday trip for me, but lately it’s causing me so much anxiety that I’m doubting myself constantly. Do you think I’m overreacting? Do you think DL is pretty disability friendly? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

DL is not as easy to get around in but they do have procedures in place. he'll load through alternative entrances on many rides. shouldn't be too bad crowd wise since the holiday break won't have started yet. I had zero issues on any rides I wanted to ride in my WC.( I don't do roller coasters so can't answer for those)

it's much smaller size is helpful though since you can easily reach both parks, downtown and the hotels by foot.

You may find DL much easier than WDW. No busses to get around. And the 2 parks are really almost one big park, guests can travel back and forth between them during the day fairly easily. It sounds like he may not need a DAS, but if he does, the procedure there is much easier to use than at the WDW parks.

Several rides in DL have WC entry procedures, with WC return times, just ask a CM near ride entrance.

I am going in a few weeks with my son (manual WC, me pushing). I look forward to using there MaxPass system to get FPs. Easier to pull from the AP than push him over to the ride and pull one manually.

he'll load through alternative entrances on many rides.
At DisneyLand. California Adventure was designed and constructed after, and in compliance with, the ADA. Granted, I haven't been since 2005, but I recall all CMs being extremely helpful.

A poster above mentioned the DAS. Wouldn't even consider that, as it is not given for mobility issues.

Here's a list of rides with their transfer requirements. As long as he's able to transfer, and he'll have you and your daughter there to help him, I wouldn't worry too much about the rides. Some rides do have alternative entrances (usually the older ones in DL) but they're pretty well marked, and the CMs are generally helpful. Are there any particular rides you're worried about?

There's a lot of positives, though, for DL compared to WDW - no buses, as mentioned by previous posters! You can walk (or scooter :upsidedow) from one park to the other, to Downtown Disney, and back to your hotel. Some of the walkways are narrower, but Disney's been taking steps to address them and I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it sounds like he's already quite experienced with driving the ECV. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

The nice thing about Disneyland over WDW is the crowds. Yes, the parks can be just as crowded, but (at least at the times I've been there) there are fewer of those frenzied, do-or-die families who are so determined to squeeze as much activity and as many rides per day as possible that they end up doggedly beelining between attractions, not watching for people with mobility devices, pushing, shoving, and cutting ahead of slow-moving guests. They struck me personally as a little more easygoing than the average Florida crowds.

The nice thing about Disneyland over WDW is the crowds. Yes, the parks can be just as crowded, but (at least at the times I've been there) there are fewer of those frenzied, do-or-die families who are so determined to squeeze as much activity and as many rides per day as possible that they end up doggedly beelining between attractions, not watching for people with mobility devices, pushing, shoving, and cutting ahead of slow-moving guests. They struck me personally as a little more easygoing than the average Florida crowds.

We've been going to WDW since 1972. The past few years it's more crowded than ever with people who are going in every different direction, but I have never been pushed or shoved and have never seen it happen.

We've been going to WDW since 1972. The past few years it's more crowded than ever with people who are going in every different direction, but I have never been pushed or shoved and have never seen it happen.
Lucky you, I have been on the receiving end on both coasts of such things as:
  • People pushing me at rope drop to get a ticket for a special event.
  • Wheelchairs and ECVs running over my feet
  • Strollers intentionally being rammed into my ankles (back when Disney still had strollers with metal under them, that was painful)
And why? Because I couldn't walk as fast as they wanted to run.

Thank you all for your helpful answers. Unfortunately my decision was made for us - my husband is going in for urgent spinal surgery next week so the trip will have to wait. Hopefully the surgery will help and we'll be able to plan another trip in the future with him being a little stronger.

Sorry he needs urgent surgery and you need to postpone. I pray the surgery goes well and he has an easy recovery!

I don't have much to add but want dto echo what some said that you might find DL far easier for the ECV than WDW. I did. By a MILE. We stayed at the GC, so like the DL Hotel, it's super easy. We found the CMs at DL far nicer too to us than they were at WDW. Don't know why, but we did.Not all, but most were super kind. Perhaps far fewer ECVs? Enjoy your trip! <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter