Disneyland Hotel

meandthree

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear what people think of the Disneyland Hotel. My family is booked at the Grand Californian, but my kids love the looks of the Disneyland Hotel. I looked on Trip Advisor and saw loads of bad reviews regarding how old it was. Can anyone give me some help here? I have stayed at the Grand Californian and love it but want my kids to be happy also.

While I have heard mixed reivews, my family and I stayed there this summer and loved it. We had a spacious room with a great view (we had booked standard view). the Disney touches throughout the room were great. We loved the original map of DL on the armoire and the Tinkerbell/Pixie Dust border.

The walk to the parks wasnt bad and we were in the furthest building. The pool and waterslide were great for my kids (5 & 8). CMs seemed helpful and friendly.

The only points we were disappointed in were we felt the laundry room was too small (2 washers and 3 dryers...and many people waiting) and we would have liked more fast food options for our picky kids.

But overall, our experience was very Disney.

I recently stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian, and I definitely preferred the Grand Californian. I found the staff at the Disneyland Hotel to be rude and unhelpful. The rooms were great, and the grounds were beautiful, but I encountered more rude cast members at the Disneyland Hotel during my four night than in my 20 plus trips to Disney World combined! If you go to the trip report board, I have information on just how badly I was treated by the Disneyland Hotel staff--I was snapped at, I was hung up on, I had a waitress repeatedly mention her tip to me during the meal. It was absolutely ridiculous! I wasn't making unreasonable requests--it was just a bunch of cases where the staff members didn't do their job correctly, and if affected my ability to fully enjoy my trip.

Karen

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel about 4 years ago and loved it! Our room was clean and spacious, not outdated at all. All CM's we interacted w/ were polite. We really enjoyed the character breakfast at Goofy's kitchen.
We are staying at the Grand Californian this December, I am curious to see how they compare!
Enjoy your trip!

We will be staying there in 10 days. We have stayed there before (7 years ago). I know the rooms have been renovated since our last stay so I will be able to answer you better when we return. DD is very excited!

We stayed at the DLH in April. Room was ok, but after awhile the disney touches grow on you. My dd almost 5 loved the pixy dust. Room service was quick and the staff was nice. We are planning to go again in late Jan. and I am considering CG this time, mostly because it is sooo much closer to the parks and the weather will not be as good. We didn't mind the walk to DL but if there was rain it would seem longer. Where ever you stay you will have a great time.

Just got home from DL Hotel, after staying there last night. MAGICAL time! We stayed one night (Saturday) so we didn't have to drive home after the Mickey Halloween Party. I booked a standard, no frills room back in August (through Expedia) and we were upgraded (at check in) to a pool view room in the Sierra building. Check in staff could not have been nicer, especially CM Ryan at the front desk. :cool1: We got there about 4 PM and had to wait 30 mins til the room was ready. So we stored out luggage at the Bell Hop desk and wandered around. The room was great for a standard room, 2 double beds, one sink bathroom, sliding doors that open to a faux balcony and a view to die for...the Netherland Pool.

We ordered room service twice, 1st time at 12:00 AM Sat. night for Hot Cocoa and a club sandwich. Service was very nice and fast. We also preordered Breakfast (putting the hanger on the door the night before, etc). It was 30 mins later than we ordered but everything was hot and very good. Our server did apologize a lot for the delay and said Sunday mornings are their busiest. If we order breakfast this way again we will order it 30 mins before we actully want and hopefully it will be closer to on time.

Kids and hubby loved the pool, it is called the "Netherland pool" and has a pirate theme with a slide.
They were very impressed at how warm it was, "like bathwater", my DD13 said.

We called housekeeping a couple time, once for a sewing kit, once for more towels and once because our TV remote was no where to be found. Each time they took care of us within 15 minutes.

Except for the late breakfast it was a perfect one night stay! Mind you we didn't eat at any of the restaurants but all the hotel staff we came in contact with were wonderful and our service was great.

We have also stayed at the GC Hotel two years ago and had a nice stay also
but didn't see much of a difference in the rooms and the staff was also great there. The pool at GC is much smaller and much more crowded. The GC is also much closer to the parks but we enjoyed our walks though DTD. If walking is a problem there usually is the Monorail (close to DL Hotel) but it is cuerrently closed for renovation so you may want to ask about it's availablity.

-Bethany

and I can wholeheartedly tell you that the GC is not nearly as fun for kids. I personally do not like the GC, just because of the "lack of Disney" feel to it.

The DLH is by far my 1st choice. The rooms were very nice, LOVED the armoire, pixie dust and towel hangers (mickey hands holding the towel).

The room was very spacious, beds comfortable and staff amazing.

Even if GC were cheaper, I would still stay @ DLH. Every night they have the dancing waters, the waterfalls and boats are my son's favorite, and the dining options outstanding.

If you've never stayed there, I would highly recommend doing so, especially for the kids. Have a great time!!! :wave2:

Thank you all so much. I was a little nervous after looking at all the comments on Trip Advisor but I feel so much better about it now. My husband and I would prefer the GC but I think that would be a little bit selfish since the kids want to stay at DLH. So that is where we will be. Besides, the vacation really is for the kids, well and Mom a Disney fanatic. Thanks again everyone. Hope there are some great Annual Passholder rates for the first of March!

We have stayed there five times in the past two years and have had wonderful stays each time. We went with my brother and his wife last December and they have very high standards and loved it there. I think some of the bad reviews stem from the high price you pay. For $200 a night or more, people expect an exceptional experience, as they well should. I know there have been some bad reviews on this and other websites but our experiences have always been so positive it is our favorite hotel anywhere. I hope this helps, have a great stay!

We adore the DLH! We have been staying there every December for the past 13 years ::MinnieMo And usually stay at least once in the summer. You truly feel surrounded by the Disney Magic. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are very nice. We stayed at the GC in August just to check it out. It was okay, but definitely did not have the Disney feel.

Goofy's Kitchen is one of the best character meals. Hook's Pointe is fantastic. And Croc's Bits and Bites fits the bill for a quick meal. My husband always enjoys his early morning walk to the Coffee House to refill his mug. We've had it about 10 years and they are still free! :banana:

Oh I am getting way excited now for our December trip! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter