Disneyland in Calif. wants to add nearly $2B in new, immersive attractions in first major expansion since 1990s

Kennywood

Kennywood
Disney has asked California officials to approve a $1.9 billion, 10-year plan to expand its Disneyland theme park in Anaheim to include more high-tech, immersive attractions — its first major expansion plan since the 1990s.

1710179546378.png

The city of Anaheim’s planning commission is set to review the proposed upgrades to Disneyland at a meeting on Monday. Any agreement would also require Disney to invest millions in street improvements, affordable housing and other infrastructure in the city.

“We know there are stories out there we haven’t told yet, like ‘Wakanda’ or ‘Coco’ or ‘Frozen’ or ‘Zootopia,’” Alde said. “We know what kind of stories we would love to tell. We need to get the guidance on what we can build there so we can understand how.”
Disney’s proposal wouldn’t increase the entertainment giant’s 490-acre footprint in Southern California, but would instead help the company develop new attractions, according to Fortune.

The company has already held a workshop to address residents’ questions about the proposal, according to Fortune, including Disney’s request to absorb a local road into the theme park.

As it stands, there isn’t enough room at Disneyland in California to build something at this scale without affecting the park’s existing attractions, according to Alde.

For example, Disney may be able to build a multistory structure for parking at Disneyland and turn what’s currently a 50-acre parking lot into another place for rides and entertainment options, Fortune reported — all while staying within set boundaries that allow the resort to be located near residential neighborhoods.

This marks the first time Disney has sought to implement a major change at its California park since the 1990s, when it was approved to transform its first park — built in 1955 — into a resort hub.

It has since added a second park called Disney California Adventure Park, as well as a shopping and entertainment district dubbed Downtown Disney.

It’s unclear if Disney is seeking to add these experiences to its Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif.

In 2022, the park was the second most-visited in the world with a reported 16.8 million visitors in 2022, according to The Park Database — beat only by Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., where attendance topped 17.1 million for the year.

Representatives for Disney did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ar...first-major-expansion-since-1990s/ar-BB1jHnax

I love it, but Disney's age old problem in Anaheim is...Anaheim.

They don't have nearly enough land around the park to do much and what's outside their property has become very contentious in the community.

It is Disneyland Foward
Yeah, typical NY Post quality: no mention of Disneyland Forward and they quote someone named "Alde" without explanation.

That would be Disney's Global Development Vice President, Rachel Alde.

Here's a link to the live (still going on as of 8:30 p.m. PDT with public comments) webcast of the Planning Commission meeting:

https://anaheim.granicus.com/player/event/1565

What I think Disneyland is hoping to do with this expansion is to make Disneyland like Universal Studios and they will most likely expand Downtown Disney and make it like San Jose's Santana Row by adding more stores and restaurants because outdoor malls are a huge fad and they will probably add nightclubs and a theater designed for concerts and it would be a Disneyland version of Pleasure Island that Walt Disney World used to have. What I think could also be added to Disneyland's expansion plans is expanding Avengers Campus to have more rides and turn the Hyperion Theater into Avengers Campus Theater and with Disneyland itself they could close Fantasyland Theater and build an indoor theater in Fantasyland because I can't figure out why Fantasyland has an outdoor theater when they should build a new indoor theater. But what I think Disneyland really needs and it would work well is more roller-coasters because every theme park has roller-coasters that make the park a hit and draw visitors to the theme parks. Also DCA should add a Disney Junior section with a playground for younger children and toddlers because Disney Parks seem to have few things for toddlers and young children. But when this expansion is complete Disneyland should begin to work on improving the park more to draw visitors next

Meanwhile in Florida in the last 2 weeks the District Administrator for CFTOD stepped down and was appointed to another position outside of CFTOD and the Board Chairman is stepping down before his term was supposed to end in 2027.

Board already had an earlier appointed member leave 2 months into the job in 2023.

https://blogmickey.com/2024/03/glen...ida-tourism-oversight-district-administrator/

https://blogmickey.com/2024/03/desa...rict-board-chairman-martin-garcia-steps-down/
I do wonder how much this is (or isn't) affecting a decision to expand the parks in Florida

I do wonder how much this is (or isn't) affecting a decision to expand the parks in Florida
Hard to know how the permitting process is going in the current set up. Hopefully it’s going well, but if not is it something that Disney is staying mum about for any court proceeding? Just a few unknowns in the process.

I guess Star Wars Galaxies Edge wasn’t a big addition to Disneyland a few years ago. I believe it cost around $1 billion back then. They are gonna spend $1.9 billion over 10 years. Do the math, with inflation they are spending what SWGE basically cost. Not very impressive.

I guess Star Wars Galaxies Edge wasn’t a big addition to Disneyland a few years ago. I believe it cost around $1 billion back then. They are gonna spend $1.9 billion over 10 years. Do the math, with inflation they are spending what SWGE basically cost. Not very impressive.
I thought that was the cost on both coasts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter