Disneyland in January 2021?

lindsay314

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
My mom and I are planning a trip to the West Coast next New Year's for the Rose Parade, and I was thinking of adding a couple days at Disneyland to the trip. Would you recommend before (around Dec 26/27th) or after (around Jan3/4th)? Would the holiday decorations still be up after New Year's?
Also, I'm not sure how to tour Disneyland. I've been to Walt Disney World 10 times, but my only experience with Disneyland is a day trip in May 2013--drove down for the day while on vacation in Los Angeles. I know it has changed even since then, especially with the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening.
So what is some advice you would give for 2 days at Disneyland in January, second time ever (well, technically third for my mom, although her first visit was in 1985)? I know park hoppers are a must. What are the best hotel options? The 3 on-property hotels are way out of budget :S
TIA for your answers!! :)

Both sets of dates would probably be crazy crowded assuming crowds do indeed return to Disneyland. I would think Dec 26/27 will be worse for crowds. There should still be full Christmas decorations and activities (except for meeting Santa) going on through at least January 3. I could see them starting to take some things down starting on the 4th since that's the Monday after the holiday period and that's when the season has been ending in recent years. January 1 is late in the week that year though plus they usually do a brief multi-day celebration of Three Kings Day which is January 6, so I could see them stretching the season out a little longer.

Thanks for the heads up--I talked to my mom and she agreed the January dates would be better. I am a bit worried about the crowds--I've never been to any Disney around the week of Christmas/New Year's before (early December, yes, the actual week of Christmas/New Year's, no). Are there any special holiday activities that would should check out that aren't offered other times?

Thanks for the heads up--I talked to my mom and she agreed the January dates would be better. I am a bit worried about the crowds--I've never been to any Disney around the week of Christmas/New Year's before (early December, yes, the actual week of Christmas/New Year's, no). Are there any special holiday activities that would should check out that aren't offered other times?

Off the top of my head...
At Disneyland:
Christmas Fantasy Parade
Christmas fireworks show
Castle lighting show
Christmas tree lighting
Haunted Mansion Holiday (Sept - Jan)
It's a Small World Holiday version (Nov - Jan)
The Dapper Dans sing holiday songs
Christmas music, decorations, merchandise, and special food items throughout the park

Disney California Adventure
Festival of Holidays food booths
additional musical entertainment
Viva Navidad parade
Christmas tree lighting
Carsland Mater and Luigi's ride overlays
Christmas music, decorations, merchandise, and special food items throughout the park; the Carsland decorations are especially fun

Are you planning on staying in Anaheim the entire trip? You may want to check into a company that offers a shuttle to Pasadena for the Rose Parade. I did it a few years ago and it was so easy and not stressful at all. Just show up at the designated area and they drive you there and bring you back so you don't have to fight the traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This would actually be an add-on to a Rose Parade trip booked through a tour group, so we'd be spending most of our time in Hollywood and Pasadena. The flights have to be booked separately from the tour, though, so we thought we might extend the flight return date and spend a couple days at Disneyland after the tour ends (January 2nd). I guess our biggest issue would be getting from our hotel in Hollywood to Anaheim. Should we try to book a direct shuttle from the hotel or just take a shuttle from the hotel to LAX, then catch the Disney shuttle from there? The Disneyland shuttle is around $21/person, correct? I am used to Disney World's Magical Express buses so I'm not sure how things work on the West Coast. :)

Thanks guys! This would actually be an add-on to a Rose Parade trip booked through a tour group, so we'd be spending most of our time in Hollywood and Pasadena. The flights have to be booked separately from the tour, though, so we thought we might extend the flight return date and spend a couple days at Disneyland after the tour ends (January 2nd). I guess our biggest issue would be getting from our hotel in Hollywood to Anaheim. Should we try to book a direct shuttle from the hotel or just take a shuttle from the hotel to LAX, then catch the Disney shuttle from there? The Disneyland shuttle is around $21/person, correct? I am used to Disney World's Magical Express buses so I'm not sure how things work on the West Coast. :)
If you are in Hollywood, definitely do not take a shuttle to LAX to get on another shuttle to Anaheim. That’s unnecessarily out of the way. Look into Uber or a car service to take you from your Hollywood hotel to wherever you are staying the extra nights in Anaheim.

Some threads with good information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- LOTS of great threads here with helpful information!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- pre-SWGE, but still loaded with helpful info!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads here
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR it isn't about on site or off site -- it's all about location, location, location -- if you can be walking distance to the gates (or within a short shuttle or Uber ride), your sanity and legs will thank you! This thread has great information -- ask any questions there!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- study this thread and ask any questions there -- you'll get great help -- MP will help you make the most of your park time on peak crowd days
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask any SWGE questions here!
OFFICIAL 2018 Christmas & Holiday Time at DLR Superthread!! -- this was the Holiday Time Superthread last year -- skim through this to see what was offered, when, where, what crowds were like, and how people handled them, etc.

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for all your answers! My mom and I are trying to finalize dates, but it's hard since most places (including the Disney website and AAA) don't have 2021 information yet. We are considering an afternoon at DCA and a full day at Disneyland, but this will be our first time experiencing Galaxy's Edge (it wasn't open on my last trip to WDW). Any touring tips? Also, do you think we could finish most of the attractions at DCA in half a day? Excluding Toy Story Midway Mania and Grizzly River Run--been on TSMM many times at WDW and not interested in a wet ride in January! We saw World of Color in 2013, so we are okay with riding attractions during the show this time; what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I think this is waaayyyy too far in advance for anyone to give you reliable information about crowds, ride closures, park hours etc.

Hard enough trying to predict those things for Jan 2020, let alone 14 months away.

Hello all,
My mom and I are planning a trip to the West Coast next New Year's for the Rose Parade, and I was thinking of adding a couple days at Disneyland to the trip. Would you recommend before (around Dec 26/27th) or after (around Jan3/4th)? Would the holiday decorations still be up after New Year's?
Also, I'm not sure how to tour Disneyland. I've been to Walt Disney World 10 times, but my only experience with Disneyland is a day trip in May 2013--drove down for the day while on vacation in Los Angeles. I know it has changed even since then, especially with the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening.
So what is some advice you would give for 2 days at Disneyland in January, second time ever (well, technically third for my mom, although her first visit was in 1985)? I know park hoppers are a must. What are the best hotel options? The 3 on-property hotels are way out of budget :S
TIA for your answers!! :)
Here are some threads with great information for your trip planning:
2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20! -- this is this year's Holiday Time Superthread -- cruise through it to see what's being offered, when, where, etc. -- this will give you a good idea about events and dates and crowds -- keep up with this thread through January to see what happens with the crowd patterns
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this is from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- TONS of great information here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread with lots of helpful information for you
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads here!
From the above link:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it isn't about being on site, it's about location, location, location! Both on site and off site have their advantages! Especially during a peak crowd time like Christmas/New Year's, you want to be within close walking distance to the parks -- what you invest in a close location will pay off huge in savings for your sanity, wear and tear on your legs and feet, and convenience.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- study the first post in this thread and ask all FP/MP questions there -- at such a busy time of year, MP will be a huge help for you!
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- closest airport to DLR is SNA (John Wayne) -- choosing a conveniently located airport can be worth the extra dollars in airfare -- also, if you need transportation to/from the airport, there are good recommendations in that thread
If you want to see the nighttime shows, dining packages are highly recommended since your time will be so limited and the parks will be so busy. F! is almost unanimously considered to be the better show at DL (but WDW has better seating). The 3 dining packages are (in order of $$$ to $) Blue Bayou (comes with souvenir seat cushion), Riverbelle Terrace, and Hungry Bear. All 3 have excellent viewing, centered, up front by the water -- seating is on the ground, no shoulder kids, no one standing in front of you. If you do the first show, you'll be invited to stay in the viewing area to watch the fireworks -- music will be piped in and the projections will be shown on the water screens. For WOC, there should be the holiday show, Seasons of Light -- if you can swing the WOC Dessert Party, do it! Totally worth it to have a great view of a fabulous show, unique to DCA.
Dining reservations usually open up 60 days in advance (this year was an off year for that -- most books opened late this fall) -- so you have plenty of time to do your research.
Come on back with any questions!

Thank you guys! I will definitely check out those threads--I've read HydroGuy's but haven't looked through the others yet.
I know it is super early, I'm just trying to figure out a bit of a game plan. Plus this trip to California means WDW won't be in the budget for next year so I'm trying to plan whatever I can, this is my outlet :) The main reason I asked is because we are trying to figure out whether the Park Hopper is worth it for an afternoon and a full day (I am on board, my mom isn't). So maybe this is a better question: Is DCA currently doable as a half-day park when crowd levels are at 7/8? Arrive at 1pm and leave at close? Not interested in World of Color, Grizzly River Run, or TSMM.

Thank you guys! I will definitely check out those threads--I've read HydroGuy's but haven't looked through the others yet.
I know it is super early, I'm just trying to figure out a bit of a game plan. Plus this trip to California means WDW won't be in the budget for next year so I'm trying to plan whatever I can, this is my outlet :) The main reason I asked is because we are trying to figure out whether the Park Hopper is worth it for an afternoon and a full day (I am on board, my mom isn't). So maybe this is a better question: Is DCA currently doable as a half-day park when crowd levels are at 7/8? Arrive at 1pm and leave at close? Not interested in World of Color, Grizzly River Run, or TSMM.
Good planning will only help you out, so don't worry about starting so early for your trip! Park hopping will definitely be worth it for your trip because either set of dates will be very crowded and you are going to need the flexibility and option to have an outlet from those crowds. MP allows you to book FPs in one park while you are in the other park (a big convenience) -- so having hoppers would let you use this to your full advantage. Don't bet on the parks being at 7/8 -- crowd calendars are not reliable for DLR like they are for WDW (Most accurate crowd calendars?). Keep watching this board to see how the parks do during those dates this year and next to get a much better idea of what to expect. As for arriving at 1 pm -- is it possible to arrive any earlier? The morning hours are golden at DLR -- RD to around noon are when you can get the most done. By 1 pm, the crowds will have shown up in force. Even with MP, FPs for certain headliners may be gone for the day (although cancelled FPs may show up on the app).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!