DisneyLAND marathon 2006

NancyK

DIS Veteran
Did any of you get the email from Disney about the 1/2 marathon at Disneyland next September? I bet some of you will be involved in that one. Sounds exciting!

I got it too... seriously considering it. But I don't know what my work schedule will be for that time period yet :confused3

Solotraveler :earsboy:

I'm in!

A girlfriend and I are planning on the Disney World Marathon in 2008, and I already told her we need to do a half in late 2006, another is early 2007 and another in October 2007, so this is perfect timing!

Anyone else?

I'm definitely seriously considering it - I would LOVE to run it, but it's hard to plan my schedule that far in advance. Fortunately, Anaheim is just a quick 6-hour drive (or 1-hour flight) away, so I may be able to squeeze it in as a quick weekend trip - but that doesn't leave a lot of time in the parks. I'm going to put it on my calendar, though! Time to start training, whether for the DL half or another one...

I just realized that I didn't get the announcement email - do you know where I can go to sign up? Also, is there an official date for the race, or is that still in the works? I poked around the web a bit, but couldn't find anything. Actually, if someone could post the text of the email from Disney about the race, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance! :teeth:

It seems anymore I try to plan my trips around different races. :)

Terri

I would love to do it. I have never been to California so it would be very cool! Maybe I can talk DH into it. April-here is the text from the email.

Dear Tiffany,

We have some exciting news to share with you about a brand new Disney running experience that you're going to want to be a part of. And as a past participant of the Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend, we're telling you before the rest of the world finds out.

Today it's our great pleasure to introduce to you the Inaugural Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend - September 15-17, 2006 - the Happiest Race on Earth! After 12 years of marathoning at Walt Disney World® Resort, we decided it was time to take this show on the road.the streets of Disneyland® Resort and Anaheim, California to be exact.

You'll find out lots of important information about the race weekend when you visit our new web site, www.disneylandhalfmarathon.com, which we're guessing you're going to do right away because you already can't wait to register to be part of the inaugural year of this event. But when you get to the site you'll see that registration will not open to the public until October 15, 2005. What you won't see, however, is something that will be very important to you. We are going to give you, as a past Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend participant, a limited period of time to register for the Disneyland® Half Marathon before registration is available to the general public. This race, like many nowadays, is going to have a capacity limit, and we expect it to fill up before race day. So this early registration window is your chance to make sure you get in.

How do you take advantage of early registration? On October 1, we are going to send you another e-mail with a secret link that will direct you to register on-line. It will be that simple. Here's another tip: The best hotel rates for this event are probably going to go quickly as well, so if you know you're going to register on October 1, you can go ahead and start making your travel reservations now by calling the Disneyland Sports Travel team at 877-814-3528. And just like at the Walt Disney World® Marathon, be sure to plan some extra time in your trip to visit the Disneyland® theme parks. If you've never been, you're in for a real treat, especially since our race weekend coincides with the final phase of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration - the Happiest Homecoming on Earth!

This is a lot of information, we know, so please check out the web site and you'll get a better feel for what we have in store for you, including a cool new finisher medal! (We know how everyone loves a new medal.) And then when October 1 rolls around, you'll probably want to act quickly, as it's anybody's guess as to how soon this race might sell out!

That's enough rambling for now. It's just that we've been working on this for many months, and we're so excited to finally share the news with you! We'll be in touch again on October 1.

Thank you SOOO much, Tiffany! I really want to do this race now!

(And if that "early registration" link happened to get posted on October 1, it would be our little secret... ;) )

It does sound like fun, doesn't it !!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Maybe someone from California can answer ... September in CA -- sounds kind of hot and humid to me ??? :confused3 I know that Florida in January can be hot, but certainly nothing like Florida in August. How does CA compare?

OK NancyK, you started it ... let me know if we're going! 'Cause of course, if YOU'RE doing it, then I really have NO CHOICE but to do it to ! I'd suffer too much from "medal envy" if you had one and I didn't!

How cool would it be to participate in the inaugural event. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

And since me, and the 14 lbs I've gained back since January have been totally away from WISH for a long time, here's a big :wave2: to all of my WISH friends from the 2005 Half! And to those of you training for the Half or Full for 2006, keep up the great work! It's an incredible experience that will stay with you for a lifetime!

Mary-Liz

Actually, September in SoCal can be quite pleasant: highs in the upper 70's/low 80's, lows around 60, and the humidity is reasonable (not really humid-feeling). There can be the occasional "Indian Summer" heat wave, but otherwise, the weather should be gorgeous at that time of year. Also, the race starts at 6:00 AM, so if anything, it might be a little cold!

As an example, here's the forecast for Anaheim from Wunderground for this weekend (the race is the same time next year) - the weather looks perfect!

Wow, it would be great to have a WISH contingent at the DL half! Hopefully I'll be there...

Thanks for the info, April ! Sounds a lot like Florida was this past Jan.

Mary-Liz

Hey WISHers! I got the same email and am contemplating making the journey to DL. I have never been so this is a great excuse. ;) Too bad the projected weather isn't a little cooler - I would prefer 50s. Less heat works better for me!

Greetings to all of the 05 WISH Walkers, especially Team Canada! How's Susan doing?

That sounds like fun. I'm from Vegas so I spent my summers as a kid at DL. That would be very very cool!

We really don't have a lot, if any, humidity in So Cal. I did the LA Triathlon last year and it was blazing hot! Fast forward to this year, and I did the same triathlon last Sunday and it was cool and overcast. Temp wise, it'll be comfortable but I don't think you would need to worry about humidity. I'm thinking of doing this race as well. It sounds like we need to start a dedicated thread for this marathon AND organize a DIS meet before the race! Any volunteers?

geetey said:
Greetings to all of the 05 WISH Walkers, especially Team Canada! How's Susan doing?

Hi Terry,
Thanks for asking. Susan is still undergoing chemo and has been since March. She's had many good days this summer. She has scheduled her next couple of chemo treatments around their trip to Disney World next month (it was planned over a year ago). She's very tired, but looking forward to time with her family (and Mary-Liz's family) in her favorite place in the world.
Nancy

NancyK said:
Hi Terry,
Thanks for asking. Susan is still undergoing chemo and has been since March. She's had many good days this summer. She has scheduled her next couple of chemo treatments around their trip to Disney World next month (it was planned over a year ago). She's very tired, but looking forward to time with her family (and Mary-Liz's family) in her favorite place in the world.
Nancy

Ooo, fun! A trip!! I know she will be able to wog her way around WDW - it's filled with PD! Please pass it on that I am still thinking about her and praying for her! :cheer2:

Mary-Liz and Nancy,

Please pass on my best wishes to Susan, I have been thinking of her and sending pixie dust.

I think we should get Team Canada going again for DL 2006!

Rachael

Rachael Q said:
Mary-Liz and Nancy,

Please pass on my best wishes to Susan, I have been thinking of her and sending pixie dust.

I think we should get Team Canada going again for DL 2006!

Rachael

Thanks Rachael. If Super 7 comes in - we'll be there! ;)

NancyK said:
Thanks Rachael. If Super 7 comes in - we'll be there! ;)

Or if DH has a "moment" where he forgets about how much it would cost me to fly :teeth: Rachael, you might have to be the Team Canada sole representative ... but we'll be with you every step of the way! ::yes::

Mary-Liz

I participated in the 60km weekend to end breast cancer in August.

On the Saturday we walked 35km and on Sunday we walked 25m....I was walking with my friend, and I kept looking at my watch thinking...we need to pick up the pace or we will get swept!!!!!

And we didn't have a time limit!

Mary-Liz, lets hope your DH has a moment or two.

Rachael

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter