DisneyLAND marathon 2006

crzy4pooh said:
THanks so much!!!! :goodvibes That does help alot! We have stayed at WL and AKL, which I understand are similar to GCH. I can't really picture DLH because I don't have anything to compare it to. Is there anything at WDW like it? We have looked at pricing a bit, and are still waiting on the quote for Disney Sports (the one on the entry form you check for a price quote.) We will definitely check AAA, too. It's so hard to figure out plans - we want to do everything because I doubt we will get back anytime soon, but don't want it to be stressful for DS. But we're sooooo excited!!!!!! :banana: Thanks again!!! :flower:
Hmmm....that's a tough one because we took our first trip to WDW early this year and we stayed at the POFQ. But, we did get to see many of the beautiful resorts at WDW. The exterior reminds me a lot like the CR. IE, a bit older and a bit dated, exteriorwise. IMO, while we really enjoy staying at the GCH, the interior decorations of the DLH really captures that "Disney Magic". Honestly, you can't go wrong with either resort. The one pitfall that many WDW veterans fall into is comparing the resorts and parks to that of WDW. They don't compare. Both locations have it's pros and cons. Don't succumb to this. You're only setting yourself up for the biggest let down. When you get there, just take everything in for what it's worth and you'll have a great time...

Incidentally, if we(as in the DISers) are planning a GTG prior to the race, there's not a lot of character dining places to chose from. Outside of the parks, Storytellers in the GCH for breakfast or Goofy's Kitchen at the DLH(B/L/D) are our only choices. As the race date approaches, we should probably keep this in mind if we want to ensure reserving a location...

If anyone has the Chase Disney Visa, you should be receiving an envelope any day talking about special discounts available to Disney Visa holders for DL that go through Sept 30, 2006! I haven't had time to look at the details, but we'll consider those when booking reservations.

I received this email from Disneyland Resort Sports reservations, which contains a summary of the sample rates they're offering. Currently, DH and I are looking at a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire for $66/night, which based on some DIS research I'm guessing is the Crowne Plaza Anaheim. It lacks the magic of staying onsite, but I've found in Anaheim that the "real world" is so close by that onsite vs. offsite doesn't make a big difference for me. For almost all of my visits, I've either been living in SoCal and drove in for the day, or stayed with friends. Plus, $66 is a great rate for a nice hotel!

Anyway, here's the email:
Thank you for registering to join the Half Marathon in the Anaheim Resort in 2006! We look forward to your visit and are sure you'll enjoy your Southern California experience during your stay. In response to your request for more hotel information, please find attached a list of area hotels close to the Half Marathon venue along with sample one night rates.

Pricing reflects One Adult, Tickets not included, Taxes and Resort fees not included. Room Type: Standard.

Hotels of the Disneyland Resort

Grand Californian Hotel $257.60
Disneyland Hotel $205.85
Paradise Pier Hotel $173.65

Good Neighboring Hotels

Anabella Hotel $115.00
Anaheim Fairfield Inn $97.00
Anaheim Marriott Hotel $122.00
Best Western Anaheim Inn $111.00
Best Western Park Place Inn $118.00
Best Western Pavilions $87.00
Best Western Raffles Inn $88.00
Best Western Stovall's Inn $90.00
Carousel Inn $98.00
Clarion Hotel Anaheim $88.00
Holiday Inn Ana Resort $101.00
Holiday Inn at the Park $85.00
Holiday Inn Hotel $84.00
Int'l Inn Travelodge $75.00
Jolly Roger Hotel $63.00
Park Inn $96.00
Portofino Inn $103.00
Radisson Hotel Maingate $88.00
Ramada Inn Maingate $85.00
Red Roof Inn Maingate $61.00
Residence Inn Maingate $121.00
Sheraton Anaheim Hotel $143.00
Sheraton Park Hotel $108.00

Rachael Q said:
hey Maryliz I will convince your DH.......if he feels someone trying to mess with his thoughts, that's me! (only kidding).

Mess away, my friend !!! If he all of a sudden comes out with "ya know, I really think you should do DisneyLand", I'll know it was your doing!

MaryLiz

Hi C4P - not stayed at either Disney hotel as, as someone else pointed out, offsite and onsite are only a road away from each other so we stay on Harbour Boulevard and indulge our junk food fixations (we can't get taco bell, del taco, carls junior etc etc here so it's exciting to eat there for us!!!) - usually at the West Coast which has views of the fireworks, it's being renovated at the moment which is why we're staying at LAX for our one night at Xmas, but should be finsihed by Sept I hope. Many people also seem to love the Candy Cane Inn.

Racheal: Enjoy your trip, not been to Tassie or Melbourne yet, but Sydney is fabulous. Helen

Thanks for the info Helen! :goodvibes Since we won't be going back anytime soon, we will probably splurge and stay on-site. We do need to pick a hotel in San Diego - any recommendations? DH has gotten everything kind of sketched out on a spreadsheet (too cute!!! :love2: ) and will start calling everywhere for price quotes. We got the one from Disney sports, but need to find out how much tix will add. Who can tell me about Hollywood and the Tar Pits??? We set aside a day for those - definitely want to see the Hollywood sign and see the stars walk. What else do you all like to do in Hollywood? Can you tell I'm excited????? :rotfl: Woo-Hoo!!! Happy training and planning to everyone!!! ;)

crzy4pooh, if you don't mind, I'm going to offer a few more suggestions... For San Diego, I would send a PM to Tink33. She posts over on the DL forums a lot and since she's a SD(San Diego) resident, she can offer many suggestions for hotels in and around the SD area. Based upon my experience, and we go to SD 3-4 times a year, we tend to stay in the Sea World/Mission Bay area. The reason being is that it's close to Sea World and the scenery is beautiful. There is a section in SD called Hotel Circle. You'll find a bunch of 1*-3*(maybe 4*) hotels. I don't know what your budget may be, but if you wish to save money, this is one location to keep in mind. Otherwise, the more inland you, the more likely you'll save money on hotel stays.

For Hollywood, there literally is a lot to see and do. Trying to fit them in one day will be tought but doable. IE, Getty Museum, Grauman's Chinese Theater, MOCA(Museum of Contemporary Art), La Brea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, etc... Rodeo is nice to see as well. It's expensive but nice. For dining and shopping, again, many places to go. If you'll be in Hollywood, I would stop by Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. If you've never been to LA before, a burger from In-N-Out should be had as well. Let's see, what else is there?... Oh, Pink's Hot Dogs is very good and popular among the locals. Shopping, we have Farmer's Market off 3rd and Fairfax. Many stars have been known to frequent this place during the week. Right next to FM is also the Grove. It's an outdoor mall that's pretty nice. There's also 3rd Street Promenade. It's a road they closed to vehicular traffic so that pedestrians can be free to walk and visit the local shops. Next to Universal Studios is City Walk. Again, it's an outdoor mall with many places to dine and shop.

Here are links to some of the things I mentioned:
The Grove
MOCA
In-N-Out Burger...BTW, to sound like a local, here's a listing of different types of having your burger prepared. They won't have this printed when you get there...you just tell them and they'll understand. In-N-Out Burger Secret Menu
La Brea Tar Pits
J. Paul Getty Museum (beautiful views at this museum)
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles
Pink's Hot Dogs
Universal City Walk

These are just a few things to see, do, and dine. If you need specific info, let me know...

I only have a place not to stay in San Diego - the Handlery, looks a lot nicer than it is. Despite not being full they put us, a couple with no kids, in the building housing the school party full of teenagers who proceeded to party in the corridors all night. And then moaned when I asked to be moved to a quieter room. Hated every second of my stay there, and now finally, about six years later, I have my revenge!! Helen

Hi Everyone!
My husband and I are very excited about attending the very first half at Disneyland. We were checking out the new course for the WDW half and stumbled on the DL half. We wouldn't miss it for the world. Of course, we have not made any other reservations!!!

My DH is doing the "Goofy" in 2006 in WDW. I will be the woman with a leash ...holding my DH back from running too fast in the half.

He qualified for the Boston already so I hope he doesn't "kill "
himself running 39.3 miles in two days.

We are sooo excited!!! Any other Kentuckians going?

Susan

littlegreydonkey said:
I only have a place not to stay in San Diego - the Handlery, looks a lot nicer than it is. Despite not being full they put us, a couple with no kids, in the building housing the school party full of teenagers who proceeded to party in the corridors all night. And then moaned when I asked to be moved to a quieter room. Hated every second of my stay there, and now finally, about six years later, I have my revenge!! Helen

I stayed there once earlier this year for a triathlon. I got a rate of $45 for one night through Priceline. Since it was just me, it was ok but if I brought my DW and kids, I would never select this "resort"(as they call it). There are much better hotels to choose from in Hotel Circle than this one.

Thanks for all the tips on the hotels - both where and where not to stay! ;) We've requested quotes from several places on the DL hotels/tix/etc, and we are looking at the Mission Bay area in San Diego. We'll narrow down hotel choices for that once we know costs on the DL stuff. Yea!!!! Sooooooo excited!!!!!! Thanks again for all the tips and advice!! You all are awesome!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!