Disneyland quiety revoking Annual Passes of Guests who Buy and Resell Souvenirs - OC Register

I never said they didn't so I'm not sure the point of this?

However, I'll bite. I looked at the terms of use for regular tickets. I see nothing like the verbage on APs that specifically prevents purchasing for the purposes of resale. The closest thing I found us this:

It only specifies that tickets themselves may not be sold or transferred for commercial use. Would you please help me out and give the exact quote from the ticket terms of service that bans reselling merchandise bought on a regular, non AP ticket?
As I said the last time I had a paper ticket (several years ago), it clearly stated: "Not to be used for commercial purposes"

If you look at park rules, they also make it quite clear that they can change the park rules without notice: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/
But I would imagine that a few of these rules could be used to put a stop to the resellers out there.

This is true for people even living IN the US. Even as an AP holder I've used one of the online sites plus EBay to purchase seasonal items available only in store because it's impossible for me to travel to WDW in that time frame. Cost is always a factor let alone getting the time/having the time to make the jaunt. And yes, I HAVE considered a one day trip where I fly out at 6am then take the 11pm flight back!
But that is exactly why Disney is taking issue with this, they want the people who are actually in the parks for the holidays to be able to purchase the items and when people buy them from resellers, that means one less item that can be purchased in the parks. This is especially a problem for limited edition merchandise. In other words, if you go to the parks, you get should get priority on the merchandise.

Maybe Disney should go to a system where any limited edition merchandise that is left over after a certain amount of time can be purchased online. I.E. if it is something for the holidays, then when the holiday season ends if any of the merchandise is left, it can be bought online before it goes to the outlets.

The last time I had a paper ticket, it was quite clearly printed Not to be used for any commercial purposes.

Really? There isn't much room on a ticket. I couldn't fine my old tickets last year, but this one seems pretty standard:

Disneyland%2Bticket%2Bfine%2Bprint.png

As I said the last time I had a paper ticket (several years ago), it clearly stated: "Not to be used for commercial purposes"

If you look at park rules, they also make it quite clear that they can change the park rules without notice: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/
But I would imagine that a few of these rules could be used to put a stop to the resellers out there.

That doesn't answer my question at all. A potential to make the rule does not mean the rule exists. The "commercial purposes" refers to selling the tickets themselves and I did quote that exact section already.

Yes really, but the nontransferable wording was on there back then, goes to show how long ago that was, however, there is plenty of room to add back in:
"Not to be used for any commercial purpose."

That doesn't answer my question at all. A potential to make the rule does not mean the rule exists. The "commercial purposes" refers to selling the tickets themselves and I did quote that exact section already.
As I said, the last time I had a paper ticket it was quite clearly labeled "Not to be used for any commercial purpose." Can't make it any clearer than that.

You guys are not helping yourselves by telling your story publicly about how you sold some merchandise to a friend. The exact wording of your passholder contract is this:

"Such benefits and discounts are for personal use only and may not be used for any commercial purpose including, without limitation, to obtain or purchase items or services with the intent to resell such items or services."

Ref: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/annual-passport-terms-conditions/

I think the words "commercial purpose" are the key here. Those re sellers and eBay stores are buying items for the purpose of making a profit/running a business. Those are commercial purposes. That is very different from someone picking up an item for a friend as there is no commercial purpose in that transaction. I don't think Disney cares if you buy a popcorn bucket for a friend and that friend pays you back what it cost. But if you bought that popcorn bucket and charged them more than what you paid or a "shoppers fee," then it would be for a commercial purpose and violates the contract.

By definition:
  1. concerned with or engaged in commerce.
    "a commercial agreement"
    synonyms: trade, trading, business, private enterprise, mercantile, sales
    "a vessel built for commercial purposes"

2. making or intended to make a profit.
    "commercial products"
    synonyms: profit-oriented, money-oriented, materialistic, mercenary
    "a commercial society"

As I said, the last time I had a paper ticket it was quite clearly labeled "Not to be used for any commercial purpose." Can't make it any clearer than that.

Please provide a scan of this ticket with this stated on it. Because that would be a way to make it more clear.

Or find the rule in the terms and conditions to quote. I would really appreciate it as I have looked them over repeatedly and see no mention of this rule you claim exists.

At least the reporting is that they're only getting AP holders on the premise that they resold items purchased using the AP discount. It's in the article.

Everyone interviewed for this story agrees that this violates the annual passholder agreement, which states that “benefits and discounts are for personal use only and may not be used for any commercial purpose including, without limitation, to obtain or purchase items or services with the intent to resell such items or services.”​

As a practical matter it would be more difficult to make money if one had to pay a separate admission each visit to buy stuff to resell. One of the guys interviewed said he basically spent his time there after work since his family lived in Ventura County, but only made about $300-$500 a month reselling stuff purchased at Disneyland. I've had a similar work situation so I get that there are things that one does to keep busy.

I also think they want people to feel an urgency to buy the items when they see them in the parks. If they can order them later, people tend to hold back and make less impulse buys.
Well, it backfired on me.

We were there and I wanted the doom buggie. It is part of a series. If this is how these things are gonna be...... So I gave up and don't even look at the later ones they issue.

There are pins they do monthly. I don't live near the parks, and I know the drill. So I don't buy any of them. Their loss.

If they want to continue to cut me out of the picture, I spend less time online dreaming of my next trip......

So Disney should kick out all the youtubers? They make money of those videos.

that is different. Its a new modern way of marketing called influencer marketing. Blogging and Vlogging fall into this category.

I'm sure that Disney can follow your ticket. They can see every time I scanned into the park. What rides I rode. Where I ate lunch. You think they don't keep track of what you buy? When someone is spending $1000 every week, that adds up. Pay $500 for a pass and then get $50,000 in discounts?

I'm sure that once they identified a user that was buying too much, they looked for their online presence. websites, eBay user id, etc..... then they had what they needed.

We went in the first part of the season. I bought Halloween pins in September and some were sold out. The stitch Halloween party pin wasn't available. If I want one, it's $50 and up on eBay.

we aren't going for the Holidays this year, but there are a couple pins I want. How do I get them? How do I get a limited edition party exclusive pin? And then the fact that Disney restricts the availability of these just makes it that much worse for the availability.

If i can't get the cool pins, then why bother collecting them..... and it just goes downhill from there.

we aren't going for the Holidays this year, but there are a couple pins I want. How do I get them? How do I get a limited edition party exclusive pin? And then the fact that Disney restricts the availability of these just makes it that much worse for the availability.

Just a little correction: the Halloween party merch at Disneyland isn't party exclusive (which is part of the problem that allows resellers to purchase it all early in the season without buying a party ticket). Anyone can buy them regardless if going to the parties or not.

everyone is just now sounding bitter and like a spoiled child.

Disney want these experiences ie pins and other merchandise available IN the parks for their guests IN the parks. Simples. They make x merchandise available to buy online for those who do not or can not visit the parks.

Visit the parks and pay the entrance fee and be rewarded by merchandise you can not get any where else

or look at it another way

Park only merchandise encourages people to visit the parks. It is a way of increasing the average spend per person. A regular park visitor will spend more than a reseller who just enters the park for an hour to buy merchandise.

solo regular park visitor = 8 hours on average in the park = snacks, meals, drinks, merchandise = approx $200
solo reseller = 60 minutes in the park = $100 on merchandise

I have to say, there are about a million other things I wish they would address over plastic cups that my kids lose/break/whatever within hours of having it

If Disney wanted people who didn’t visit the park themselves to buy in park merchandise they’d sell it online. They want YOU to come because you’ll spend the day, grab a meal & see other merchandise you’ll fall in love with. When you go home you’ll have this special piece of Disneyland to share stories about with friends & family who then start thinking “hmm... Disney...”

Cool, I cant take a 12 hour flight e everytime I want to buy something....

Probably getting ready for star wars. I see most of Disney moves recently are trying to protect the one day ticket buyer from the annual passers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts