Disneyland Resort and Southern California ABD

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
I absolutely love Old Hollywood and Disney History, but have not been to California; and am therefore seriously considering the above-mentioned ABD trip. I am considering booking this week for sometime on 2020 (tik tok!!!), so I thought I would first reach out to the experts to get some general thoughts, but also have a few specific questions.

Any time of year you might specifically encourage or discourage? I am accustomed to WDW in the summer so can handle heat well enough, and I am in pretty good shape so large amounts of walking or similar is not an issue.

Overall, would you recommend this trip for a first time visitor to California/Disneyland? (I saw a thread below which indicates the answer as a resounding yes)

Anything either positive or negative you believe a new solo traveler to LAX and to ABD should be mindful of?

I will of course browse the boards to find out more information. But at this point this an extravagant financial investment, so I would like to make an informed decision.

Our weather is pretty good year-round, though it can get hot and windy with brush fires in the fall. We don’t get the Florida humidity.

Things you may want to consider re timing of the trip are, would you like to see some of the holiday decorations and ride overlays unique to Disneyland? If so, then September-December would be your choices. Haunted Mansion gets a very fun Nightmare before Christmas overlay from mid-September through December. Sometimes Space Mountain gets a Halloween overlay. CarsLand gets both Halloween and Christmas overlays. Small World gets a Christmas overlay from mid-November through December.

While Disneyland does not have a separate ticketed Christmas party, there is a Halloween party at California Adventure that sells out very quickly each year, much faster than WDW.

California Adventure has a food & wine festival in March & April, it probably pales by comparison to Epcot, but the focus is mostly California foods and wines so that may be a draw.

Sometime this summer, the Avengers area in California Adventure is ssupposed to open, no date announced yet so fall might be a better choice if that is of interest, to ensure you don’t miss it

There are some attractions down for refurbishment this spring.

Unless you’re really looking at spring, I’d probably avoid May and June because there are a lot of grad nights and end of school year trips, which Make the parks feel busier.

Re airports, LAX is undergoing a huge multi-year upgrade with a lot of construction. If the AbD includes airport transports then that should not be of much worry for you.

Have fun!

We have done that ABD 5 times now, all at different times of the year. I wouldn't say that any month is better/worse than other based on weather. I certainly agree with @Mathmagicland above that the holidays are a nice time to visit the parks.

As far as old hollywood goes, you'll get about 1.5 days of it on this trip. Not really a lot, but then again there really isn't a lot of old hollywood left. You may want to get there a day or two early (especially if coming from the east coast) so you can experience some of the things that aren't on the regular ABD trip. Things like the LA Farmer's Market, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Pier, Griffith Observatory, Universal Studios Tour can all be fun to do.

If it makes a difference, DD frequents DL and says Halloween theming is much better than Christmas. She makes my DSIL take her every year. We flew out (did not fly in/out of LAX) in August and it was hot but not unbearable in any way and evenings/mornings were nice and cool. We love Southern California, have a great time!!!!

Hi, @Spencer Wright ! I have taken 11 ABDs as a solo, and ABD is a *fabulous* way to take a solo trip! The Adventure Guides really get everyone like a big family, and it's very easy to feel included.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware that their is a 40% single supplement for solo travelers. Just so that it doesn't take you by surprise!

Sayhello

In terms of crowds, it probably doesn't matter when you go because this trip gives you many Fastpasses, plus special access on some rides and shows (e.g special viewing areas for shows). We did the short escape version and the last two days of that trip were very crowded in the parks. But the ABD Fastpasses combined with MaxPass meant we avoided most lines.

The biggest danger with this being your first experience to the Disneyland Resort is that you will get spoiled by all the special access. Then when you go back to the Disneyland Resort on your own, it just won't be the same experience.

There are several reports on this ABD trip so I suggest reviewing those

Hey yous guys I really appreciate the detailed information! It is extremely helpful in giving me the information I need to make a decision. I didn't even think about the holiday decorations/overlays, and is certainly something to think about.

I am in the processing of booking the Disneyland Resort and Southern California Escape for April with my father! I hate to be so crude as to talk about money, but there was a discount offered, and we are planning to add a couple days to do some Hollywood things on our own. This seems to be a good middle ground between the 6 day trip and visiting Disneyland on our own. I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

I am in the processing of booking the Disneyland Resort and Southern California Escape for April with my father! I hate to be so crude as to talk about money, but there was a discount offered, and we are planning to add a couple days to do some Hollywood things on our own. This seems to be a good middle ground between the 6 day trip and visiting Disneyland on our own. I appreciate everyone's feedback!!
We talk about money here *all* the time! Feel free! :) A discount is a wonderful thing!

Congrats on booking the Short Escape!!

Sayhello

I went with the full six day trip instead and am officially booked for May!

I did have a quick question for the rooms at the Grand Californian. Are they theme park view or anything? Any specific type? I'm mostly asking out of curiosity.

I did have a quick question for the rooms at the Grand Californian. Are they theme park view or anything? Any specific type? I'm mostly asking out of curiosity.
In our five BSM's we've never had a theme park view. Most of the time its lobby or courtyard view.

I

I did this adventure in September and my room overlooked the pool area but you also could see the taller rides in Pixar Pier behind that.

We were just on the Jan 5 trip, and our experience was similar to @dt14890 . In addition to overlooking the pool, we could see the top of Pixar Pal Around and the tops of the Radiator Springs mountains. It was a lovely view. Though honestly, we were in our room for such a short time it really didn't matter. We'd come back from our busy days and just crash :). The Grand Californian is a pretty spectacular place to stay, and the Lowes was really nice as well. ABD definitely didn't scrimp on the accommodations!

Enjoy your adventure! We absolutely loved this trip. None of us had been to Disneyland before, but between all of the rides we rode with the group and the numerous fastpasses they gave us for our OYO time, we felt we really got to fully experience the parks. We did stay the extra night at the end to make full use of the extra park ticket - which I highly recommend doing if at all possible. We lucked out and scored a DVC room using our points for the extra night, but I'd have thought it worth it even if we'd had to add it through ABD and pay cash for it.

Add in all of the other amazing parts to this trip - Imagineering, Disney Studios, Hollywood, the "surprise" stop on Hollywood day that made me teary eyed, and you have a fantastic experience that any Disney fan will love.

We were just on the Jan 5 trip, and our experience was similar to @dt14890 . In addition to overlooking the pool, we could see the top of Pixar Pal Around and the tops of the Radiator Springs mountains. It was a lovely view. Though honestly, we were in our room for such a short time it really didn't matter. We'd come back from our busy days and just crash :). The Grand Californian is a pretty spectacular place to stay, and the Lowes was really nice as well. ABD definitely didn't scrimp on the accommodations!

Enjoy your adventure! We absolutely loved this trip. None of us had been to Disneyland before, but between all of the rides we rode with the group and the numerous fastpasses they gave us for our OYO time, we felt we really got to fully experience the parks. We did stay the extra night at the end to make full use of the extra park ticket - which I highly recommend doing if at all possible. We lucked out and scored a DVC room using our points for the extra night, but I'd have thought it worth it even if we'd had to add it through ABD and pay cash for it.

Add in all of the other amazing parts to this trip - Imagineering, Disney Studios, Hollywood, the "surprise" stop on Hollywood day that made me teary eyed, and you have a fantastic experience that any Disney fan will love.

im really glad to hear all of this! I did book a post night at the Candy Cane Inn. I am glad there is such a full schedule and am looking forward to exploring the itinerary more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter