Disneyland show?

The Pixar Pier discussion is really something that they didn’t hash out. Pete said he didn’t understand how DL fans had mixed feelings about it, I think it’s perfectly understandable why we have mixed feelings.
The main problem is Pete is discussing being “more Disney” as having more IPs. For many, being “more Disney” is a quality of theming issue, you can slap Mickey Mouse stickers on a football all day long but it doesn’t make the football Disney. Things can very much be Disney, thoughtfully imagined, and not have a single character present. Here are some of the things DL fans discuss with the pier, I don’t feel strongly on all of them but these are the various sticking points
-Luxo not being on the sign, how is a sign not finished?
-WOC breaking, rumors are that the large metal platform cracked and/or a electrical area were flooded, while we don’t really know, the DL forum has a very well respected poster who runs that superthead and is also a mech engineer, he has posted his thoughts and I tend to agree with him
-that IC is considered better at night and when WOC IS working it will often be closed at this time
- no longer having any kind of princess meal at DLR
- mixed review of LL: high menu prices, running fireplaces in the summer heat, TGIF style food
- the baby kabobs, what in the world?!
-the $299 preview event for one existing ride, two lightly rethemed rides, food samples and free parking, many fans found it either laughable or outright offensive
-boardwalk style games in general
-that this was essentially our only big announcement at D23 while WDW got everything AND the kitchen sink
-juxtaposition of having Mickey and Pixar characters on the same ride
-the treat shop not being done
-that California Screamin’ was closed for so long, the improvements don’t add up, the overlay is mostly stationary figures and a new soundtrack, not projections or animatronics
-the carousel, the mixed feelings whether it’s even an improvement in the first place and why on earth it should take this long
-Inside Out, yet another dumbo style ride on the pier, that puts three right together
Anyways, I really think it’s a combination of things, I am excited to see the pier but yes I think many DL fans have opinions on some of the above. We like to discuss our opinions and get excitable easily. It’s just a different mentality, we are discussing everything and still forming our opinion.

Last edited:
I am so happy to see these numbers!!!

It seems to me everyone supporting this format change are WDW vets and thats a good thing for Pete (and his company) because it is obvious that the new format is to sell the WDW vets new trips to CA. That is the issue, he changed it from a "locals" show to an advertisement. Face it, DL is a AP park, always will be we keep it alive.

--> Also, i would love to see what would have happened if the WDW show people would have been replaced by the DL show staff.. Their World.. UPSIDE DOWN!!

REALLY????? Of course I would say any of this to Pete's face.. Why would i not???

Do we have numbers showing the listeners to the old DL show? If so it would be interesting to see how they compare. Otherwise this is just one piece of the puzzle, and doesn't affect those that didn't listen to the old show to begin with.

In the long run, if someone was looking to grow their business, it makes more sense to try to appeal to more than just the folks who live in the local area. I can understand the disappointment of the locals, but I can also see the logic to expanding the audience for the DisneyLand show. I never listened to the podcasts but I'm probably going to be in SoCal next year, so I have been watching the new show to help me plan a DL trip.

Also if Pete was just interested in selling vacation packages he would be pretty transparent about it

I totally agree. As one who has never been to Disneyland, I am finding the new format very informative. I am sympathetic to those who have more experience with DL. It does not feel like anything is being sold to me at all as a listener. As always with The Dis, in my opinion, the new format is tastefully done.

Am I missing something but doesn’t the show still feature locals talking about the park? Or is it the locals we don’t like?

I can only speak for myself, but from the episodes I listened to, it seemed like the focus was on the Orlando team, with Pete occasionally asking for input from the locals (who really only represent one demographic of locals). The old show was entirely locals (well ... mostly. Depending on whether or not Tony is considered a local, since he was rarely actually in California) who represented different age groups, had kids of different ages, visited the parks differently, etc. The only person on the old DL podcast team who didn't live in Southern California was Michael, and he had the knowledge of having visited the parks for many many years and visited very regularly (and also added input about what was going on at the WDFM, where he is a local). So yes, there are locals on the new show, but not as many, and to me it doesn't seem like the emphasis is on the locals perspective.

Last edited:

Tyler and Katrina are just the definition of meh to me.

I wouldn't envy their position or anything, but they've been around for about a year now and really haven't developed any personality, at least not one that makes me want to actively seek out their content. From what I have consumed, which is plenty as I'll still regularly throw on their vlogs in the background for noise, they've been very mediocre.

They don't really seem to have much expertise on their subject matter when it comes to the podcast either.

It is what it is though, things change and it's still free content. It's just a shame that they seem to have chosen the convenience and quantity of content over quality of content in this case.

I still think it’s content more than cast at this point. I don’t mind any of them on the show but you can’t listen to this show compared to the prior cast and not pick up on the lack of averall knowledge of the parks and their history.

If you wanted to mix it up the addition of one person from Florida and one person for video most likely would have accomplished this. Where you run into the problem now is that when something new comes up or questions arise it doesn’t feel like anyone really can answer it. I think the previous detailed discussion differences about the new hotel is a perfect example of this. On one hand you had a well researched and detailed discussion and on the other you got “Yup. They’re building a hotel.”

Whether it’s for entertainment purposes or trying to help sell/plan a trip the listener has to feel confident that the host(s) has exceptional knowledge on the material. If you are wanting to plan and it doesn’t sound like the hosts know much more than you do then I don’t think the desired results are going to come.

So much better!! This show needs Mary Jo every week!

Could not agree more!!! The show has morphed into a Pete-centric Disneyland/WDW comparison show, but Mary Jo knows her Disneyland inside and out and might save it!

So after 5 shows I'm going to give it another few, it is no longer on the top of my podcast list to listen to like it was, it isn't even my top Disneyland podcast to listen to anymore.

I realized recently why I don't love the new version.
For both WDW and DL, I'm an out-of-towner visiting. I (at least somewhat) understand the perspective of a non-local visit the parks. What I don't quite know is how locals feel about the park.

The WDW show is locals talking about and visiting the parks, which gives me a new perspective and some interesting food for thought (I especially appreciate hearing how they feel about certain special events as people who go to the same event every year and see the changes).
The old DL show was locals talking about and visiting the parks (and the surrounding area) ... also, a new perspective for me.
The new DL show is out-of-towners talking about and visiting the parks ... which is a perspective I already have. It's not different enough from what I experience for me to really be interested in listening every week.
That said ... if I ever move to the DL area and end up becoming a local, I might be interested in the show to hear what the Orlando-based team thinks about my local park.

I understand that my reason for watching/listening (more listening recently because that's easier for me to do on my commute) are different than others. I know that some people watch/listen because they want planning information, and this may be better for them. But it's not what I'm looking for, and when I do get around to cutting down my list of podcasts, this one is likely to get an unsubscribe.

Very much agree with this! I LOVED the old DL show, I think it was actually my favorite of all of the weekly shows. I live in Orlando and WDW has always been my home park, so I found the DL shows to be so informative -- a whole new side of Disney that I knew nothing about! I could swallow the info in great gulps: the history (Michael Bowling is an absolute treasure!), the subtle park differences (New Orleans Square, why don't we have that?), and the very different experience of touring the DL parks (staying in good neighbor hotels, using the legacy FP system). I definitely had some issues with production value of the show and always hoped that could be addressed, but the team was incredibly knowledgeable and very dedicated.

One thing I really appreciated is how often the old DL team was in the parks, not just for work purposes, but for fun. They were there with their families, with friends, just to grab dinner, and it gave them a different kind of expertise and comfort level with those parks that I really appreciated. I love the Orlando team and they spend a lot of time in the parks, but it seems like it is almost always under the guise of a press event, attending parties and events specifically to cover them on the show, or to check out a specific new ride/restaurant/etc. And all of those things are really useful, but it doesn't really match how most people visit and tour the parks. There was a level of authenticity to the DL shows that I really appreciated, and when I finally got to visit the California parks I used SO many of the tips and tricks that I'd heard over the years.

I tried the new DL show and it isn't for me, but I can see there are a LOT of opinions and I'm glad the new show is working for some. Still, I hope that the team will be open to some of this feedback and consider whether there might be ways be of service to both DL tourists and locals (which is very much the case with the WDW version of the show).

Very much agree with this! I LOVED the old DL show, I think it was actually my favorite of all of the weekly shows. I live in Orlando and WDW has always been my home park, so I found the DL shows to be so informative -- a whole new side of Disney that I knew nothing about! I could swallow the info in great gulps: the history (Michael Bowling is an absolute treasure!), the subtle park differences (New Orleans Square, why don't we have that?), and the very different experience of touring the DL parks (staying in good neighbor hotels, using the legacy FP system). I definitely had some issues with production value of the show and always hoped that could be addressed, but the team was incredibly knowledgeable and very dedicated.

One thing I really appreciated is how often the old DL team was in the parks, not just for work purposes, but for fun. They were there with their families, with friends, just to grab dinner, and it gave them a different kind of expertise and comfort level with those parks that I really appreciated. I love the Orlando team and they spend a lot of time in the parks, but it seems like it is almost always under the guise of a press event, attending parties and events specifically to cover them on the show, or to check out a specific new ride/restaurant/etc. And all of those things are really useful, but it doesn't really match how most people visit and tour the parks. There was a level of authenticity to the DL shows that I really appreciated, and when I finally got to visit the California parks I used SO many of the tips and tricks that I'd heard over the years.

I tried the new DL show and it isn't for me, but I can see there are a LOT of opinions and I'm glad the new show is working for some. Still, I hope that the team will be open to some of this feedback and consider whether there might be ways be of service to both DL tourists and locals (which is very much the case with the WDW version of the show).

I too loved all the details the old team would get into - even if, as a non-local who has only been to Disneyland once, some of it was a bit too in the weeds when they would go through in detail menu changes at a quick service or something like that.

I wonder though if people that love that level of detail are the people that contact Dreams Unlimited to book their Disneyland vacation or if they have enough knowledge to book on their own and thus the target market of the podcast might be different than the market they were actually getting :confused3

I like the new format. I can totally understand how the DL fans prefer the old format and/or dislike the continual WDW/DL comparisons. For them, it should be a DL/So Cal only show. However, there are lots of WDW people who never even considered a trip to DL. Until I actually visited DL, I had the belief that it was an inferior park and there was no real reason to visit. I appreciate Pete bringing the perspective of a WDW diehard falling in love with DL. I can totally relate.

I think with time, the technical glitches will work themselves out. Not sure which video switcher they are using, but the transitions from Orlando to the remote guests could be improved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter