Disneyland, T2 Diabetes tips?

Bunless

DIS Veteran
I tried doing some searches, but nothing is quite matching what I'm looking for...

DH is a type 2 Diabetic. Before his diagnosis, we were regulars at DL, but because of familial obligations in Florida, have been more at WDW the past few years. We are also DVC members. At WDW we are able to navigate dietary needs because we have, at the least, a kitchenette. We are planning on having a couple of trips to DL this next year, but will NOT be staying in DVC units (though still staying at Grand Californian).

We are curious about
--what counter service hacks are available at DL. I remember that you could do a lot al la carte, but are there other tips? some locations better than others?
--what is available at the GC Craftsman to put in the fridge other than milk?
--any other tips, tricks, favorites?

Walmart delivers groceries since it seems like you have a fridge. I’m sure there are other places. The CVS and Walgreens at the intersection of Katella and South Harbor have lots of food...basically a small grocery if you only need a few common items. There are other stores but I haven’t been in them.

I’m not diabetic but I do eat LC/HF. I rarely eat park food. Breakfast is often cold meat, cheese slices, and a hard-boiled egg. Snack of nuts and moon cheese, or salami stick and raw carrots or an apple. One meal will normally be a spinach salad with avocado, tomatoes, nuts, hemp hearts, etc. I have always had access to a microwave so I eat stir-fry with meats and oil/butter. It is nothing fancy but I’m ok with that and it works at WDW with just their mini-fridge in the room. If the salad greens come in a hard plastic container I will put them in a gallon ziplock baggie to save fridge space.

I do travel sometimes with someone who is T2 and we will split an order of mini-Mickey waffles with bacon and then bring our own low-carb additions to make it a proper meal. Splitting meals and snacks and then supplementing with no or low carb really helps keep down sugar consumption while still enjoying park food. I freeze a clear disposable water bottle to keep the meat from going bad and then drink the water..instead of an ice pack.

There are hotels off-site with kitchens. I stay at the Extended-Stay America and have a hob and full-size fridge/freezer, toaster, microwave, coffee maker, and sink. They also provide dishware and cookware. The ART bus stop is in the parking lot a 30 second walk from the door and comes every 20 minutes or so. Not GC luxury but around 1/6 the cost and the food budget is roughly equal to what I spend at home.

What are your needs some with t2D do not eat white bread rice and so on some eat HCLF while other do not eat thing with added sugar. If carb counting CalorieKing is a really hood app or you can go old school and get the book

The CVS and Walgreens at the intersection of Katella and South Harbor have lots of food. Great to know!
I do travel sometimes with someone who is T2 and we will split an order of mini-Mickey waffles with bacon and then bring our own low-carb additions to make it a proper meal. Splitting meals and snacks and then supplementing with no or low carb really helps keep down sugar consumption while still enjoying park food. This is a great idea, one we had not thought of, thank you.
There are hotels off-site with kitchens. Even though we aren't staying at a DVC unit, we are still using points to stay at the hotel. But thank you for the tip.

What are your needs some with t2D do not eat white bread rice and so on some eat HCLF while other do not eat thing with added sugar. If carb counting CalorieKing is a really hood app or you can go old school and get the book
For now, it is mainly carb counting, and DH does have an app. that he likes. But knowledge around where you can get brown rice and whole wheat is helpful.

Thank you for all of your input.

I just thought I'd piggyback on here. My husband was just diagnosed with T2 yesterday, and I'm a little worried about our upcoming trip. Disneyland isn't until July, so I know he'll have some time to get a rhythm going, but we are headed to Universal in April, so I'm a little worried about how to handle things.
I'd love to hear any other tips or tricks any of you may have.
Thanks!

I just thought I'd piggyback on here. My husband was just diagnosed with T2 yesterday, and I'm a little worried about our upcoming trip. Disneyland isn't until July, so I know he'll have some time to get a rhythm going, but we are headed to Universal in April, so I'm a little worried about how to handle things.
I'd love to hear any other tips or tricks any of you may have.
Thanks!
With type 2 your trip should not change too much I would make sure to eat as close to his normal as possible ( with the extra walking he should be able to have a little more card and stay close to range he was at) make sure he stay hydrated and carry something with him if he goes low. Also lows can happen 24 hours after exercise so be on the look out for lows the next day. If you find he is higher then he likes to be eating low cards can help to not raise BG ( you can get a hamburger and take the bread off) drink more water can help lower BG also more sure he takes meds on time

Gap2368 has good advice. Non insulin dependent type 2 diabetics, just use common sense and do the best you can. Make good choices. If you have been diabetic for a while, or insulin dependent, and carb count, you should be good enough to guesstimate your carbs. Stay hydrated with water or no calorie beverages. The extra walking burns more carbs. My T1D needs WAY less insulin on park days and you do really need to watch for lows. Most T2D can enjoy a few indulgences in moderation so if you are making good choices throughout the day, you should be fine. If you are really worried, pack your own food in, a mini fridge would hold most everything you may need. Also check BS readings often!!!!

Thanks. Is there any problem bringing the monitor in through security?
No, not a problem. Bring plenty of testing supplies as well. Plan on 4-6 times more than you would usually use in a day, or more depending on your comfort level with managing the heat and exercise. DH has a kit he carries, and extra goes in ziploc baggies.

Enjoy your vacation!

Walmart sells a cheap but good meter rolion for about $25 for the meter and $10 for 50 strips so if your insurance does not cover enough this would be a good chose

No, not a problem. Bring plenty of testing supplies as well. Plan on 4-6 times more than you would usually use in a day, or more depending on your comfort level with managing the heat and exercise. DH has a kit he carries, and extra goes in ziploc baggies.

Enjoy your vacation!
Walmart sells a cheap but good meter rolion for about $25 for the meter and $10 for 50 strips so if your insurance does not cover enough this would be a good chose

Those are great helps. Thanks. DH just emailed the doc today to find out about testing more often (the RX is for 2x per day). He and I both think that while we are learning, more often is better, and I definately think that while on vacation more often is a great idea.

Good to know Walmart has some cheaper choices. The pharmacist warned us yesterday that insurance doesn't like it when you test too often and use up the RX too fast.

Those are great helps. Thanks. DH just emailed the doc today to find out about testing more often (the RX is for 2x per day). He and I both think that while we are learning, more often is better, and I definately think that while on vacation more often is a great idea.

Good to know Walmart has some cheaper choices. The pharmacist warned us yesterday that insurance doesn't like it when you test too often and use up the RX too fast.
If you are only currently checking 2x a day the doc must not be too worried. Yes, some extra testing won’t hurt BUT don’t go crazy if there isn’t a need. Make sure if he tests extra, that he waits at least 2 hours after he eats. Before meals and bedtime are best, but if he manages fairly well at home, he should do fine on vacation as long as he tries to watch what he eats. The Insurance companies only go by what the doctor orders, but checking 2x a day will generally give you 2 bottles of 50 strips a month, giving you an extra 40 finger sticks if needed. So you should have enough.

Should not be a problem with type 2 . Just watch what you eat. Disney does not put sugar into there food, Just to make it sweet. Salad are fine, hamburger hot dog with out bun or part of a bun.
You can not stay on a carb free diet the rest of your life, so just take it easy. Plus’s all the walking will help, may even go low

I'm glad that I've found this thread (sorry for bumping it). We are going to Disneyland with our nephew who has Type 2 diabetes. He is 16, but still, I worry about his condition during the trip. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. And any updates are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Don't worry! You should better consult his mother about the diet and things to avoid. You should definitely take meds if he needs any with you. My sister takes ozempic shots once a week. I've recently got ozempic coupon for her. If your nephew also has a similar medication, you probably won't need anything else. And the most important and most hard part to avoid snaks and all sugary sweets while your journey. So I wish you all the best and try to nevertheless make it fun for you all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!