Disneyland WiFi is TERRIBLE

The CM I spoke with last week confirmed that and said they are recommending that guests use their own data plans, if they are able to do so. I assumed that the quality of the wi-fi would be poor and wanted to confirm that I would able to use my own provider for faster service. The CM agreed that would be the better plan and said that the in park wi-fi is really for intl. guests who can't use their own plans because of the high roaming fees. So I don't know if Disney even plans to improve the wi-fi in a significant way, since so many of the daily guests are local or, at least, not intl. The CM didn't make it sound likely.

From what I'v seen they're not claiming it's park wide wifi, just hotspots with wifi in the immediate areas that they listed.

From what I'v seen they're not claiming it's park wide wifi, just hotspots with wifi in the immediate areas that they listed.
Where are these "hotspots" in the parks?

If Disney's plan is to be digital, they should support it with a system which works for everyone.
And not just in focused spots but park wide.

Where are these "hotspots" in the parks?

If Disney's plan is to be digital, they should support it with a system which works for everyone.
And not just in focused spots but park wide.
There are symbols on the printed park maps. As of now they haven't gone digital, only scanning paper FP, so I don't assume that being fully digital is their intention or at least not imminent.

Had anyone actually tried standing at a hotspot and connecting? For example there's one right near big thunder. Is like to hear how it works when you actually go to the spot marked on the map. I am an international visitor and data roaming is a ridiculous price. We have tried getting a sim in the US twice and it has not worked either time, so need wifi to use the app.

Had anyone actually tried standing at a hotspot and connecting? For example there's one right near big thunder. Is like to hear how it works when you actually go to the spot marked on the map. I am an international visitor and data roaming is a ridiculous price. We have tried getting a sim in the US twice and it has not worked either time, so need wifi to use the app.
Yes, it's still not great. It takes a long time to connect and you usually have to try multiple times. I just use data. Try asking other people with your provider if they know of a roaming plan or which US carrier's SIM worked for them. That's usually what yields the best results.

My older DD saw it in the list briefly but none of us tried to pick it up. We turn the WiFi off on our phones while in the parks so they're not constantly searching and draining our batteries.

Disney IT :badpc:

Back when DAS started I was getting a return time and the 2 CMs at the booth were waving their machines everywhere trying to get a signal. One of them picked it up with her arms way in the sky and said "everyone freeze!" & got us our return time. When we got to soarin the CM gave me a weird look and asked how many people were in my group: "4" "I have 16 showing- but the pictures are the same... go on in, it will straighten out at your next return time."

You should come to Florida. I was able to stream Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl in HD to my phone while standing in line for Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom.

You should come to Florida. I was able to stream Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl in HD to my phone while standing in line for Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom.

I've been to WDW a LOT. I know the wifi there is good, but it's awesome to know you can stream stuff! Will come in handy next visit when my son wants to watch You Tube videos all day. :)

Personally what I would like to see if them limiting WiFi to only Disney sites and services. This would reduce the load, but still allowed for F0+ at Disney World and MaxPass at Disneyland to work for everyone, including international guests.

Eh, it's free so I ain't complaining! I'm not on my phone that much while there that I would need wifi and wouldn't just use data. Too immersed in the magic (or people watching...) lol

My phone continued to try to connect in NOS, but never was actually able to. I was in the middle of trying to do something so ended up turning wifi off while I finished. It was actually pretty frustrating.

Sounds like Disney need to get a Smart System to go with Smartphones.

We don't go until October so we'll see how things roll out.
May have to get an upgrade to our data for the trip.
I'm so challenged when it comes to technology. It will be good my DGD-19 will be with me on the trip.
She can burn through the data to see what's.... what.

Disneyland's Wifi is spotty at best in the few locations that have it. I tried connecting to it when we were there earlier this month and using data through my cell phone's signal was faster. My guess is that they've only put up a couple of wireless access points at each location.

Also, something to consider re: wifi is that what's around you can create a lot of interference...lots of metal & concrete structures will cause problems with the signal. Same thing with bodies of water - ponds, lakes, pools.

I'm sure it'll get better. Three years ago at WDW, their wifi was terrible and slow, it was easier to just use data. This summer, however, it was MUCH improved and was actually, reliably functional! DL will get there eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!