Disneyland's 48th birthday!

wendym

I work to go to Disney!
Hi I’m a 34 High School teacher in Scotland and mum, Doreen, is 69 and going through a second childhood. Our 6 nights in Anaheim were part of a longer vacation which included Orlando,
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414600

Disney Cruise http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414044
and a week in Virginia – yes I know I am unbelievable lucky!

As well as reading these boards practically every day I have also been reading LaughingPlace for many years. Mum and I both love Disneyland and I wanted her to meet some of the people that I had told her about on those boards.

Sat 12th July
After breakfast we easily got off the Disney Magic and then got on the DCL bus back to MCO. We had booked the later LA flight in case of any delays but the lady at check in was so nice she got us on the earlier flight. So instead of arriving in LAX at 7.40pm we were there by 2.30pm.
After using a shuttle we arrived in Anaheim at 4.30pm. We were staying at the Carousel as usual – it is so close to the parks and the rooms have been newly redecorated. In fact it usually took us 10 mins from our room to be through the turnstiles at either park.
We got a great room close to the elevator and after unpacking I went for walk to pick up our tickets and get some sodas/water. Well I went to the wrong place for the tickets and luckily they knew that it was closed. I had purchased the unlimited fast pass 5-day tickets through the Walt Disney Travel Company and they don’t ship to the UK so the arrangement was I would pick them up at guest services – I just went to the wrong one!
After going back for Mum we went for a stroll through Downtown Disney and Grand California hotel. I also booked Sunday brunch at Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen. After watching the fireworks I got McDonalds and took it back to the room. Mum was in heaven as the Happy Meal that she always has came with mini Sega games – she has always wanted a Game Boy seemingly (she never said otherwise she would have got 1 by now!) – to see her sitting playing with these were hilarious.

Sun 13th July
After bfast at the hotel I went to pick up the tickets. The lady was so nice and so helpful. We were into the park by 8.45am. I love how the park opens at 8am although Disney’s California Adventures (DCA) doesn’t open until 10am.
Using the wonderful unlimited fast passes we were able to do Big Thunder, Indy (twice), Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh (twice) before 11am. We took the monorail to Downtown Disney and then went to Ralph Brennans for lunch. We shared the French Quarter salad – lovely caramelised pecans. Then we split the bananas foster and a bbq pork po’boy. Although absolutely stuffed we went into DCA and got fast passes for Soaring over California – this is an amazing simulation – you actually feel you are flying over California and you really smell the oranges. (Did this twice). Also saw Golden Dreams, which Whoopi Goldberg narrates. I also did California Screamin – the roller coaster. Unfortunately Mum doesn’t do this one (I know amazing something she won’t try!) so I just have to do it twice! Went back to the pool and then went for a nap. It was rather a long nap so we didn’t get back into the park until 9pm – just in time for the fireworks. Then we did It’s a small world, Pinocchio and Snow White. Of course we had to go to McDonalds for another Happy Meal game.

Mon 14th July
At Disneyland for opening. Did the Matterhorn, which I would have enjoyed more if they hadn’t insisted on seating the two of us together – I was concentrating so much on not bumping into mum that I got covered in bruises!
As Fantasyland was still quite quiet we did the Storybook Canals and Peter Pan. Did Indy twice – can you tell this is mum’s favourite ride! Then using the free breakfast coupon we split the French toast sticks at Club Buzz. I then did big thunder and we took the train back to the entrance.
We went over to DCA to see Aladdin – this stage show is amazing but I just wish the queuing area wasn’t in the heat. It was worth it though. After doing Soaring we had subs at Bakersfield Bakery. We walked to the new area and did It’s tough to be a bug and the bakery and tortilla tours. We had a virgin margarita at Pacific Wharf and went back to the pool.
After another long nap we went back to DCA at 9pm and shopped in the cool. I did screamin twice just before it closed – it is so much better in the dark and the views are amazing! We went into Disneyland and took the train round the park – we closed both parks!

Tues 15th July
Today we were at Disneyland at 8.15am. Pirates was finally open so we did that – it is so much better here than at WDW. Indy twice, Splash, pooh and then breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace.
After doing thunder we went over to DCA to do Aladdin again and Soaring. We had lunch at the Golden Vinery – the trattoria. It was nice but we felt rushed and would you believe they put all the dishes outside to be picked up and washed elsewhere! The Mondavi Chardonnay was nice though!
We were going to do the water ride Grizzly but it was down so we went and did shopping at Downtown Disney again. Mum stayed back in the room for a nap so I went back to Disney alone – we had intended doing this more but she coped so well this was the only time we did it. I had a stroll round the park and took the monorail to Downtown and got some great bargains at the Rainforest café. We met up and watched the Parade of the Stars in Disney while chatting to several families and then went across to DCA to see the Main Street Electric Parade. We saw the fireworks while walking to Mimi’s Café – if you are staying on Harbor Blvd you must go here. The menu is wonderful and the service great! Mum had this awesome thai chicken wrap and I had French onion soup, carrot bread and spinach, bacon, artichoke and feta cheese salad.

Wed 16th July
Had a lie in and went to DCA at 9.30 – we had heard it opened early and that Soaring would be open. It was and we got in the front row – the best seats! We then did the rope drop – well I did – for Screamin. Waste of time as it wasn’t working but they didn’t tell you until you reached it. We used our other free breakfast at Pacific Wharf. We had the egg and bacon boulle – scrambled egg and bacon in a sour dough roll.
There wasn’t really anything else for Mum here so we went to Disney and did our usual rides. We had a late lunch at the Mexican restaurant – what a wonderful menu. We shared a bbq beef sandwich and funnel cake.
After a rest back in the room we went back to Disney and took the monorail to Downtown – it probably isn’t but it seemed shorter to mum than walking straight to Downtown (well the far end). Did more shopping at the Rainforest and then went to DCA and did Jumping Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr and I did Screamin twice. Then I did Mulholland madness – boy does that jar you. We finished off the day as we started with Soaring.
We went back to Mimi’s Café. This time I had the sun dried tomato carbonara and mum the café burger. Wished we had had room for dessert.

Thurs 17th July
Disneyland’s 48th Birthday!
Once I heard Laughing Place was planning a birthday meet we had to be there. I had got tickets for it and one of the posters (thank you SuzieQ) had been kind enough to invite us to meet up for lunch at the Blue Bayou. We were into the park at 8.45am, missing the official birthday opening. Mum queued to get the birthday pin and once I had got Indy fast passes noticed a scavenger hunt taking place. So I went back to get the envelope on Main Street missing mum in the process. We finally met up and did the hunt, taking the train to Toontown to get the postcards there. We had a bit of difficulty with the final clue but finally figured it out and got the free pins. We also managed to fit in a few rides!
By this time it was time for lunch. I felt a bit awkward looking around for fellow LP’ers – I don’t really post there – more a lurker but we were made to feel so very welcome and part of the group. Lunch was superb! I had the half Monte cristo sandwich and salad – a whole one on its own is too rich for me. Mum had the chicken Caesar salad. We got to keep the special Pirates of the Caribbean menus and also some tattoos. We then split up and mum and I did the Disney Gallery and looked at all the Pirates memorabilia. Then back to Main Street to do an audience with Mr Lincoln – the new version is wonderful. You wear headphones and the effects are all around you. In fact we did it twice.
Then it was time for the meet. It was held in the Big Thunder picnic area – beside where the Festival of Fools had been. There was over 250 Lp’ers there and it was great. We were handed buttons as we walked in. The tables were decorated with birthday candy, balloons and buckets. There was also a trivia quiz waiting at each place. There was three minutes to answer 80 multiple choice questions – with 90 secs to go I gave up and guessed the rest!
We got an official welcome from one of the Disney executives and a button signed by Cynthia Harris. Then Mickey Mouse appeared with a birthday cake. There was even time for photos with him. We all got individual birthday cakes, which were divine and fruit punch. It was enjoyable to speak to everybody and swap stories.
All this time a raffle was going on and I just heard Mum’s name being called – she chose an Xmas video and 2003 ornament. After the Golden Doobie awards they announced the winners of the trivia quiz. Three people had tied and I was one of them! I was flabbergasted as it was a total fluke. To award the prizes they held a head 2 head. Eventually I came 2nd and got my choice of a most gorgeous limited edition book on the opening of Disneyland. It was even signed.
We had a lovely 90 minutes and were so grateful to be part of it. We went back to the room to change and were back in Disney at 7.45pm for Fantasmic. 60 days before I had left mum with detailed instructions on how to phone for the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet – this gives you wonderful views of Fantasmic without sitting for hours. Of course it costs – almost $100 for both of us but we feel it is worth it. Mum must have been 1 of the first to get through as we had wonderful first row seats – there are at most 20 people on this balcony off of the Disney Gallery. We helped ourselves to marvellous desserts including fruit kebabs, Mickey waffles and chocolate sauce and then are served beverages. The view is great and once it is finished you are allowed to stay for the fireworks. We used our fast passes for Pirates and then did the Jungle Cruise in the dark. We had our final ride on Indy and closed the park. Of course as this was our last night in the park we had some shopping to do!
Next day it was off to LAX and to Virginia for the last week of our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter