Disney's CORONADO SPRINGS RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about Chronos club. We are booked for 10 nights at Gran Destino Club level. Because of flight availability, we will be flying in a night earlier, so I booked us a room for 1 night in the tower. I was wondering, if we can check out of the room and check in early to the club level room, so we can enjoy breakfast in the Chronos club on check in day? I read somewhere that club level is accessible from morning on check in day and until night on check out day - is that correct?

I've arrived many times before my Suite was ready and went straight to the Club to enjoy the benefits. You can leave your luggage there while you have breakfast or wander the resort. I'll be back 12/2 for a week in the Presidential Suite and you can bet I'll get there early. :-) Beer & wine starts at 11:30am, which makes for a nice relaxful start to my trip.

I've arrived many times before my Suite was ready and went straight to the Club to enjoy the benefits. You can leave your luggage there while you have breakfast or wander the resort. I'll be back 12/2 for a week in the Presidential Suite and you can bet I'll get there early. :-) Beer & wine starts at 11:30am, which makes for a nice relaxful start to my trip.
Where do you actually do the check in to club level?

I go straight up to Chronos Club on the 15th Floor. The CM desk is right at the entrance so they'll let you in. If you don't have your Magic Band yet, that's where it will be......the downstairs check in line was very long the three times I've stayed in the new Tower....

I wanted to share a few thoughts about Gran Destino. The tower itself is lovely, but they did not have enough staff the days we were there. People compare the tower to a deluxe and I do feel like some aspects were close to that level, unfortunately the service level was the lowest we received at any resort in WDW in over 25 years.

We attempted online check-in, but it wasn't available. After waiting over 30 minutes in line, we finally got pulled out of line by a cast member who attempted to check us in. He stated that the room wasn't ready which was no problem and we went to visit the parks. We had reserved a Water View tower room and had noted that it was our daughters 16th birthday (actual day which increased my disappointment). When we returned around 5:00 waited 35 minutes in line and our room still wasn't ready. We went to dinner without being able to freshen up. We still were not notified that our room was ready so I waited in the check-in line again for 25 minutes this time. When we got to our room it was not water view. I contacted the front desk and was informed that they had maintenance issues and the room we paid for isn't available and by now it's 9:30 PM. This would have been disappointing but if they had just bothered to communicate with us we would have felt better about it. Also changing the room type to a lower priced room without telling us is not acceptable at all. Finally after complaining they did reduce the cost of the room to the cost of the parking lot view --- but I shouldn't have had to waste my vacation time complaining. The next morning we checked out -- but had to wait another 30 minutes to fix a billing error. Every time we went through the lobby there were over 20 people in line and sometimes over 50 and just a few cast members trying to work through it. We also stayed one night at Pop Century this trip and it had much shorter lines at the desk.

Trying to get our luggage to and from Bell Services was another hassle since they also had very long lines, but we had to store the luggage since our room wasn't ready. So one of us was waiting in the Bell Services line while the other was waiting in the front desk line. Upon check-out we attempted to get Bell Services to help with the luggage but they never answered the phone. When we went down to the lobby they had another long line so handled it ourselves. Not the end of the world, but not what we expected.

Busses were as expected, it takes a bit of time for them to stop by the other stops, but it's fine if you allow yourself plenty of time. The refillable mug situation is a bit of a haul, but that too was expected.

We had only planned to spend one night here as my daughter had decided she wanted to resort hop to celebrate her birthday and we knew that hopping would not get us the "best room" options but I have never been "downgraded" in any hotel without someone telling me in advance. (Not sure what the best phrase for this treatment is, downgraded seems wrong as the room itself was fine, but it wasn't what we reserved and paid for. If I had reserved that room type I would have been satisfied) Unfortunately this was where we had planned to return on our next trip in the spring (only one resort this time), but we have since canceled that reservation. The staff was really trying to help people, but there just are not enough of them to handle the crowds and they were obviously stressed and over worked. We will stay at a different resort where they have enough staff.

We stay in all levels of resorts from value to deluxe, and this is the first time we won't return because we feel like the staff is being overworked. I have contacted the general manager with my concerns, I just wanted to share our experience. In our 11 days we stayed at 6 resorts (yes it's crazy but it's what she wanted) and this was by far the worst one.

I wanted to share a few thoughts about Gran Destino. The tower itself is lovely, but they did not have enough staff the days we were there. People compare the tower to a deluxe and I do feel like some aspects were close to that level, unfortunately the service level was the lowest we received at any resort in WDW in over 25 years.

We attempted online check-in, but it wasn't available. After waiting over 30 minutes in line, we finally got pulled out of line by a cast member who attempted to check us in. He stated that the room wasn't ready which was no problem and we went to visit the parks. We had reserved a Water View tower room and had noted that it was our daughters 16th birthday (actual day which increased my disappointment). When we returned around 5:00 waited 35 minutes in line and our room still wasn't ready. We went to dinner without being able to freshen up. We still were not notified that our room was ready so I waited in the check-in line again for 25 minutes this time. When we got to our room it was not water view. I contacted the front desk and was informed that they had maintenance issues and the room we paid for isn't available and by now it's 9:30 PM. This would have been disappointing but if they had just bothered to communicate with us we would have felt better about it. Also changing the room type to a lower priced room without telling us is not acceptable at all. Finally after complaining they did reduce the cost of the room to the cost of the parking lot view --- but I shouldn't have had to waste my vacation time complaining. The next morning we checked out -- but had to wait another 30 minutes to fix a billing error. Every time we went through the lobby there were over 20 people in line and sometimes over 50 and just a few cast members trying to work through it. We also stayed one night at Pop Century this trip and it had much shorter lines at the desk.

Trying to get our luggage to and from Bell Services was another hassle since they also had very long lines, but we had to store the luggage since our room wasn't ready. So one of us was waiting in the Bell Services line while the other was waiting in the front desk line. Upon check-out we attempted to get Bell Services to help with the luggage but they never answered the phone. When we went down to the lobby they had another long line so handled it ourselves. Not the end of the world, but not what we expected.

Busses were as expected, it takes a bit of time for them to stop by the other stops, but it's fine if you allow yourself plenty of time. The refillable mug situation is a bit of a haul, but that too was expected.

We had only planned to spend one night here as my daughter had decided she wanted to resort hop to celebrate her birthday and we knew that hopping would not get us the "best room" options but I have never been "downgraded" in any hotel without someone telling me in advance. (Not sure what the best phrase for this treatment is, downgraded seems wrong as the room itself was fine, but it wasn't what we reserved and paid for. If I had reserved that room type I would have been satisfied) Unfortunately this was where we had planned to return on our next trip in the spring (only one resort this time), but we have since canceled that reservation. The staff was really trying to help people, but there just are not enough of them to handle the crowds and they were obviously stressed and over worked. We will stay at a different resort where they have enough staff.

We stay in all levels of resorts from value to deluxe, and this is the first time we won't return because we feel like the staff is being overworked. I have contacted the general manager with my concerns, I just wanted to share our experience. In our 11 days we stayed at 6 resorts (yes it's crazy but it's what she wanted) and this was by far the worst one.
I'm so sad to hear this. I agree, they should not have downgraded you without talking to you first and I would of been upset as well. I'm already freaking out over my upcoming trip, this has me worried. I hope they up their employee numbers...what you have described certainly isn't going to cut it for the Holiday Crowds...oh dear...and with POP Warner too when we are there...ugh. So sorry to hear of your GDT stay but I hope your daughter had a wonderful trip overall and a HaPpY BiRtHdAy!! 🎂

Last edited:

Starting to get worried. Have Gran Destino booked for a 10 day stay next September. Hope to have a better experience. We'll be arriving after midnight following over 25 hr. flights from Australia, I am not prepared to wait in line for 30 or over minutes.
Happy Birthday, by the way.

I agree about check-in being a problem. We've never found online check-in to be an advantage at CSR. Every other resort either texts the room number when ready or has a CM with a tablet wandering around ready to take care of online check-ins quickly. CSR makes you go through the regular line. We've stayed at the resort many times without difficulties, but our October stay got off to a poor start with long check-in, room not ready at 3:30, then 1.5 hours later, finally seeing the room number in MDE, only to unlock the door and find it was already occupied by another family. o_O They had been in the room for several days and were not checking out for 3 more days. Not feeling like trudging back to the lobby with our luggage and standing in line again, I called guest services who connected me to a manager. She couldn't explain how 2 parties could be assigned to one room. That was not at all reassuring. It took another 20 min. to get a new room assignment in our same booking category. I let them know how unhappy we were with the whole situation and particularly alarmed by the glitch that would allow 2 unrelated guests to have access to the same room. We did enjoy the rest of our stay, especially the new restaurant and bar in the tower. Very beautiful spaces with excellent food and service. We'll go back in the future, but they need to get it together in the lobby. Adding additional occupancy without comparable staff increases for check-in, bell services, and concierge isn't going to cut it.

I agree about check-in being a problem. We've never found online check-in to be an advantage at CSR. Every other resort either texts the room number when ready or has a CM with a tablet wandering around ready to take care of online check-ins quickly. CSR makes you go through the regular line. We've stayed at the resort many times without difficulties, but our October stay got off to a poor start with long check-in, room not ready at 3:30, then 1.5 hours later, finally seeing the room number in MDE, only to unlock the door and find it was already occupied by another family. o_O They had been in the room for several days and were not checking out for 3 more days. Not feeling like trudging back to the lobby with our luggage and standing in line again, I called guest services who connected me to a manager. She couldn't explain how 2 parties could be assigned to one room. That was not at all reassuring. It took another 20 min. to get a new room assignment in our same booking category. I let them know how unhappy we were with the whole situation and particularly alarmed by the glitch that would allow 2 unrelated guests to have access to the same room. We did enjoy the rest of our stay, especially the new restaurant and bar in the tower. Very beautiful spaces with excellent food and service. We'll go back in the future, but they need to get it together in the lobby. Adding additional occupancy without comparable staff increases for check-in, bell services, and concierge isn't going to cut it.
I can only imagine us arriving at 1 am , entering room and there are people asleep in the room - that is crazy. Did you get any kind of compensation?

I can only imagine us arriving at 1 am , entering room and there are people asleep in the room - that is crazy. Did you get any kind of compensation?

Someone did that to us once (not at DW). It was quite scary waking up in the middle of the night to strangers coming into our room! And no compensation either. That particular hotel didn't care.

Starting to get worried. Have Gran Destino booked for a 10 day stay next September. Hope to have a better experience. We'll be arriving after midnight following over 25 hr. flights from Australia, I am not prepared to wait in line for 30 or over minutes.
Happy Birthday, by the way.

Why are you getting worried over one person's bad experience?
I've read countless reviews of nothing but positive experiences.

Of course sometimes things will happen, and that poster's downgrade is a real issue, which I would also be upset about.

As for online check-in. We normally stay and Yacht/Beach and last trip Polynesian. We never got our room text, always had go to a line. And our rooms have never been ready before 4 except for once. :)

Last edited:
Issues do happen. At Beach Club years ago we got our room assignment once and the door opened to a room that was being rehabbed. I mean to the studs rehab, ladders everywhere. I had driven 700 miles with my daughter and her friend. We headed back to the front desk and got another room. I think Disney’s room assignment system and procedures might be less than ideal.

I just booked a standard tower view room and wondered if anyone as the dimensions for the room. We like to bring a blow up raised (about 20” high)twin mattress so no one has to share a bed. Will it fit? It about 74x39
Is the bedroom area the same between the standard rooms and the tower rooms? If so, it will fit. We had a twin-sized extra mattress at a standard room in ranchos. It fit between the window and the desk/drawers, where the chair normally goes. We moved the chair to the other side of the desk/drawers, closer to the bathroom. There wasn’t enough space between the beds for the mattress.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience there... I stayed in the Tower with my friends two weeks ago. We had no problems at all. We only waited 5 minutes at check in and our room was ready with no issues at all. Bell services was quick to bring our garden grocer items up to our room and housekeeping was always quick when we'd ask for extra towels...Sure everyone can have a bad experience but for those of you who have never stayed there...take the bad experiences with a grain of salt...it doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. I can't wait to get back there next year...the only issue I'm having is that it's almost sold out for next October already! :(

The exact same thing happened to me in February! After driving ten hours with an 18 month old, rolling luggage to the room I was assigned in MDE, there was a family taking a nap in the room! However, Disney's response to me was mostly great. I called guest services and complained and they immediately got me a new room and credited me $100 without me asking for anything. I stopped by the front desk after to express how concerning it was that two different people's magic bands could open the same room, but the person I spoke with couldn't care less about my concerns.

The next day a manager called to apologize. We had a split stay with 3 nights at Coronado and 3 nights at YC in a regular room. No clue if it had anything to do with our problem at Coronado, but we were upgraded at YC to club level.

We had a similar experience with check in and downgrade at CBR in May. We were considering CSR for early next year. Now this has me scared. It was truly horrible and really dampened the entire vacation.

Are there alarm clocks in the room? I watched a You Tube video & I didn't see one so I wanted to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!