Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

Did you get your original yellow bag tags?
I just changed resorts for our upcoming trip and the girl on the phone who switched my reservation told me to use the original tags I already received. She told me it doesn't matter which resort the tag says it's going to, it's scanned and goes off your reservation number, so therefore routed correctly.
I hope this is true.... has anyone else had this experience? Or should I call DME and confirm just to be on the safe side?
Yes, it's true you can use your existing tags and yes I would otherwise notify DME too. I don't call, I use the online reservation for DME
If you want to feel better you can use a sharpie and mark out the existing resort name and write in the new one.
I still notify DME because I never trust the Disney resort reservation system to link in to the DME system 100% of the time. It can't hurt for me to inform them too

Yes, it's true you can use your existing tags and yes I would otherwise notify DME too. I don't call, I use the online reservation for DME
If you want to feel better you can use a sharpie and mark out the existing resort name and write in the new one.
I still notify DME because I never trust the Disney resort reservation system to link in to the DME system 100% of the time. It can't hurt for me to inform them too

Great advice! You're right, it's probably a good idea to update the reservation info! If I don't get new tags, I like your idea of the sharpie and changing the resort.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! :flower3:

I don't know the answer to your question about switching resorts, but yes we did receive our bag tags. I called on a Saturday, and the next Wednesday received bag tags and a cover sheet that said they were "extra" tags. Two days later I received the "original" tags with the usual letter giving flight info and directions to DME at the airport. Since you didn't actually speak with DME, in your situation, and because I'm a worrier, I would call DME directly to confirm.

Also the tags note a code for the resort area, MK for Magic Kingdom resorts, DS for Disney Springs, etc. I think the bag handlers "might" rely on the code for visual, although the bar code would eventually get it to the right place. If your resort change is to a different "area," you might want to go over that with your sharpie too. Have a great trip!!

Also the tags note a code for the resort area, MK for Magic Kingdom resorts, DS for Disney Springs, etc. I think the bag handlers "might" rely on the code for visual, although the bar code would eventually get it to the right place. If your resort change is to a different "area," you might want to go over that with your sharpie too. Have a great trip!!
They are not SUPPOSED to sort by their tag resort code. Doesn't mean the DON'T, of course. Just that they are not, for the exact reason that people move. The bar code is all they are supposed to go by.
Of course, that begs to ask, why put the code on there at all. Honestly, no idea

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your question about switching resorts, but yes we did receive our bag tags. I called on a Saturday, and the next Wednesday received bag tags and a cover sheet that said they were "extra" tags. Two days later I received the "original" tags with the usual letter giving flight info and directions to DME at the airport. Since you didn't actually speak with DME, in your situation, and because I'm a worrier, I would call DME directly to confirm.

Good to know~ I did update my info on the DME online form. I still have time, so hopefully I get new yellow tags. That way it will eliminate any confusion and I won't have to worry that our luggage makes it to the correct resort. Glad you got your tags! Wishing you a great trip as well!

Did you get your original yellow bag tags?
I just changed resorts for our upcoming trip and the girl on the phone who switched my reservation told me to use the original tags I already received. She told me it doesn't matter which resort the tag says it's going to, it's scanned and goes off your reservation number, so therefore routed correctly.
I hope this is true.... has anyone else had this experience? Or should I call DME and confirm just to be on the safe side?
Disney (and DME) used to tell us not to make any changes on the actual yellow tags..that as long as the reservation number remained the same, after making a resort change, your bags would go to the 'new' resort. Well.....as a good little Transportation Board moderator, I followed those rules. This was about 3 years ago....dd and I flew into Tampa, and had a rental car, so no need for the yellow tags. However, her friend was flying into MCO and had one checked bag, using her yellow tag. We met her at the DME welcome area, walked up to the scanner, who scanned my band. Said "The bus to Pop is number 3 (or whatever)" I responded with no, our resort has changed to POR. He said no, it showed Pop. Okay, we were sent over to the checkin podium to have this 'situation' looked into. I was told that yes, we were scheduled for Pop. I always travel with all confirmation emails, so handed the CM the email showing POR as our resort. He was very confused, and walked away to 'fix' something. Now, the reservation number had not changed....so I 'assumed' there would be no issue, based on what I had been told, repeatedly. I had even talked to a DME rep on the phone, a week prior to that, to make sure I was going to be okay. The CM returned, saying we were now good to go, but it was a good thing we hadn't had any checked bags! Ah, but we do....dd's friend had a checked bag. Off he went again....to fix something else. He returned, saying that in the future, if we changed resorts, be sure to cross off the old resort, and write in the new one. I informed him that I had talked to both Disney and DME, on the phone, and they had both told me that I shouldn't write anything on the tags, that when they scanned it, the reservation would show correctly. Well, evidently that wasn't the case anymore!!! Seems the airport baggage handlers, for BAGS, aren't scanning the tags now!!!
Okay....this was at 5:00. We were told all would be fine, we go off and get in line for the POR bus. Got to POR around 6:15ish, went to our room, washed up a bit, and headed to the CR to watch Wishes from ToW lounge. We returned to our room around 11. No bag in the room. I called down to Luggag Assistance, they told me they didn't have the bag yet. Okay but we had arrived at the resort 5 hrs prior!!! No bag at midnight...called again. They said it was on the way. At 1, dd's friend called again.....was told they didn't have it. Finally, at 1:30ish, there is a knock on the door, there's the bag!!!! Seems it had been sitting at Pop all that time. The CM, quite sternly, told us that the name should have been changed on the tag!!!!
So, long story short? Cross off the old resort name write in the new one!! And yes, dd's friend should have packed a carryon bag with what she needed, and will in the future. But, we all had faith in Disney that they would get the bag to her in plenty of time to go to bed at midnight!!!!

If I land at 4:40pm, what's the latest do you think I'll get my bags? Based on averages, I figure we'll check into hotel no later than 6:30pm and get bags around 10:30pm. Do you think that's reasonable? We were out of the room last time they came, so I have no idea how long it actually took.

If I land at 4:40pm, what's the latest do you think I'll get my bags? Based on averages, I figure we'll check into hotel no later than 6:30pm and get bags around 10:30pm. Do you think that's reasonable? We were out of the room last time they came, so I have no idea how long it actually took.
Yes. I think there's a 90% chance you'll have them even earlier but to err on the late side, work with 10:30.

Has anybody else been getting the run around about DME luggage tags recently? We have 2 rooms at AoA in April. When I called to give our flight info several months ago, I went ahead and told them we would need two sets of tags for each room because most people in our group are checking two bags. Well... shortly afterward one room got one set of tags in the mail, but nothing came for the second room. When we hit our 60 day mark, I called again to request the second set for the one room that does have their tags and both sets for the room that hasn't received anything. The first CM I spoke to on 2/20/18 was very unhelpful, but in her defense, I don't think she understood that I meant DME tags. I think she thought I meant the decorative tags that came with a package, and I'm not an argumentative person, so I just politely thanked her and ended the conversation and then tried again the next night, hoping for a different CM. So on 2/21/18 I called again, and spoke with a very nice CM who said they would put my request in, but she told me that they are telling people that if they don't receive their tags before they leave to get baggage receipts upon check-in from the airline, and that we can turn those in to Magical Express if we don't get our yellow tags in time. This is the first time I've ever had trouble getting the extra set of tags, much less the original set for the one room that hasn't received any. I'm just wondering if there is an issue happening or if I'm not saying the right thing? Anyone have any insight?

Has anybody else been getting the run around about DME luggage tags recently? We have 2 rooms at AoA in April. When I called to give our flight info several months ago, I went ahead and told them we would need two sets of tags for each room because most people in our group are checking two bags. Well... shortly afterward one room got one set of tags in the mail, but nothing came for the second room. When we hit our 60 day mark, I called again to request the second set for the one room that does have their tags and both sets for the room that hasn't received anything. The first CM I spoke to on 2/20/18 was very unhelpful, but in her defense, I don't think she understood that I meant DME tags. I think she thought I meant the decorative tags that came with a package, and I'm not an argumentative person, so I just politely thanked her and ended the conversation and then tried again the next night, hoping for a different CM. So on 2/21/18 I called again, and spoke with a very nice CM who said they would put my request in, but she told me that they are telling people that if they don't receive their tags before they leave to get baggage receipts upon check-in from the airline, and that we can turn those in to Magical Express if we don't get our yellow tags in time. This is the first time I've ever had trouble getting the extra set of tags, much less the original set for the one room that hasn't received any. I'm just wondering if there is an issue happening or if I'm not saying the right thing? Anyone have any insight?

You're calling the wrong people. Don't call Disney reservations, call DME directly. 866 599-0951. They'll get you all the tags you need.

Steve

You're calling the wrong people. Don't call Disney reservations, call DME directly. 866 599-0951. They'll get you all the tags you need.

Steve
Thank you!! I had just assumed that when I told the main line "what my call was regarding" that they were sending me to DME, but you're right, I bet it was just a reservation agent!

spoke with a very nice CM who said they would put my request in

This is the giveaway. A DME rep wouldn't tell you that, they'd just do it! DME is s separate company and is contracted to Disney. Disney doesn't have direct access to the DME systems - hence the need to "put in a request". If you talk directly to DME, they can handle everything over the phone without getting confused about what you mean by "luggage tags". You also won't be on hold very long, and I've always found the folks there to be very efficient and friendly.

Steve

This is the giveaway. A DME rep wouldn't tell you that, they'd just do it! DME is s separate company and is contracted to Disney. Disney doesn't have direct access to the DME systems - hence the need to "put in a request". If you talk directly to DME, they can handle everything over the phone without getting confused about what you mean by "luggage tags". You also won't be on hold very long, and I've always found the folks there to be very efficient and friendly.

Steve
You are so right! I called just a little bit ago, got straight through to someone, and they got me fixed right up! So I totally saved that number in my phone for future use! Thank you so much!

You are so right! I called just a little bit ago, got straight through to someone, and they got me fixed right up! So I totally saved that number in my phone for future use! Thank you so much!

You're welcome! I first used that number about 10 years ago when I had an odd situation come up, and discovered just how simple and pleasant it was to talk to DME directly. Number has been in my phone ever since!

Steve

Ditto - I needed that number to change a flight as we were due to fly out of Boston tomorrow but have to fly out tonight through another city due to impending nor’easter storm. Very helpful!

Do all airlines take the magical express luggage that is tagged. We normally don't ship luggage to resort but different plans this time.

Do all airlines take the magical express luggage that is tagged. We normally don't ship luggage to resort but different plans this time.
The airlines don't take it, or change what they do in any way. What happens is the bags are all off loaded from the plane all together. Then the company that handles bags for Disney (Bags, Inc) comes to the luggage sorting area and pulls all the bags with the tags, before they are even sent to the baggage claim. So if you have a yellow tag from ME, then you need not worry, Bags, Inc will handle them and Disney will deliver them to your room

I was pretty pleased with Magical Express in general and the baggage handling. I did misunderstand that your bags will arrive in your room within approximately three hours of your arrival AT YOUR RESORT, however. I thought it was within 3 hours of landing at MCO, so I talked to someone at Bell Services that assured me that our bags had arrived at the resort, but they just hadn't had anyone deliver them just yet, but the gal I spoke to was super nice about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter