Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks it's very helpful.

I've been there in Feb when it's 32 degrees for a few days then later in the week warmed up to 85.

This year is record cold. We're usually ok with fleece jackets, but this year I think we'll need our lighter weight winter coats. (In NY, we have heavy down and lightweight down!). The only thing I've packed is a pouch full of winter hats & gloves - just in case.
We'll be there Feb 27 and I hope it's warm enough to swim! That's one of highlights of all of our Disney trips. I love being able to swim at that time of year outside. Last year when we went at the end of February, it was 80-90 every day.

First time poster, first time staying at Disney. We'll be staying at POP in August and I have a few questions. Hoping someone can provide me with some information.

We are going down with 1 other family (actually, might be 2 additional families). We each have 2 adults, 2 children. What is the best way to ask for rooms near each other? It does not really have to be adjoining or connecting, but same building/floor/section would be OK. Also, is it possible, with asking for rooms near eachother to still ask for a specific building? With being 80's babies we are thinking we want one of the 80's buildings :)

Also, how far in advance should we be making these requests? I've seen some different answers in my searches, but some of those were from years ago, not sure if this has changed recently.

I'm with you! When I woke up the temp was showing that it felt like -4oC. Trying to figure out if we might need our winter coats but hoping not! Looks like it might warm up before our trip in 9 days.

Good Morning America said today was the coldest day in Orlando since 1981. It was warmer in Alaska than Florida!

I've been following #ArtfulEpcot on Instagram. I'm interested in the food, but lately I've been trying to notice how people are dressed. It's very mixed. Some in fleece and scarves, some in t-shirts. We'll both have to wait another week to see if it warms up.

We'll be there Feb 27 and I hope it's warm enough to swim! That's one of highlights of all of our Disney trips. I love being able to swim at that time of year outside. Last year when we went at the end of February, it was 80-90 every day.

We were in Florida last February and it was beautiful weather. But the whole east coast was experiencing warm temps. It was unseasonably warm in NY last year too. However, the previous February it was 32 degrees and very cold our first few days. It did warm up a bit to where the kids swam, but the temps dropped again in the evening. Winter in Florida is unpredictable.

There's a picture posted on Instagram by L'Artisan des Glaces (Ice Cream Shop in France), of a note on a flower bed covered with a blanket saying "Please pardon our appearance, we had a visit from Jack Frost. We are in the process of replanting this area for your future enjoyment. - Disney Gardeners". This cold could impact the Flower Festival up next.

Today is the first time I remember hearing that all resort pools are closed due to the cold weather. I've heard of them closing the water parks but can't remember the resort pools being closed.

Looking at the long range forecast (which can change) it appears to be warming up to more comfortable temps by the time we arrive. Watching the forecasts closely for sure though!

Good Morning America said today was the coldest day in Orlando since 1981. It was warmer in Alaska than Florida!

I've been following #ArtfulEpcot on Instagram. I'm interested in the food, but lately I've been trying to notice how people are dressed. It's very mixed. Some in fleece and scarves, some in t-shirts. We'll both have to wait another week to see if it warms up.

We were in Florida last February and it was beautiful weather. But the whole east coast was experiencing warm temps. It was unseasonably warm in NY last year too. However, the previous February it was 32 degrees and very cold our first few days. It did warm up a bit to where the kids swam, but the temps dropped again in the evening. Winter in Florida is unpredictable.

There's a picture posted on Instagram by L'Artisan des Glaces (Ice Cream Shop in France), of a note on a flower bed covered with a blanket saying "Please pardon our appearance, we had a visit from Jack Frost. We are in the process of replanting this area for your future enjoyment. - Disney Gardeners". This cold could impact the Flower Festival up next.
Omg that sounds horrible. I better be able to go swimming! We are going at the end of February if that helps at all.

Omg that sounds horrible. I better be able to go swimming! We are going at the end of February if that helps at all.

Well, the pools are heated. But like @scrappinginontario noted, if it's too cold Disney will close all the resort pools.

Let's hope it warms up!

If you don't already have it, the local Orlando news has an App "WESH2 news". You can view live weather reports. They also have a great storm tracker that I enable when we're onsite. Should a thunderstorm be within your area, it will alert you. I set my location with Pop's address.

Well, the pools are heated. But like @scrappinginontario noted, if it's too cold Disney will close all the resort pools.

Let's hope it warms up!

If you don't already have it, the local Orlando news has an App "WESH2 news". You can view live weather reports. They also have a great storm tracker that I enable when we're onsite. Should a thunderstorm be within your area, it will alert you. I set my location with Pop's address.
I've never thought to get a weather app for down there. I think we were just really lucky on our last two trips. We went for a week each time and it didn't rain the whole time we were there.

I've never thought to get a weather app for down there. I think we were just really lucky on our last two trips. We went for a week each time and it didn't rain the whole time we were there.

We also travel there in August. We've had some crazy downpours in the summer.

We were there a few years ago when the lows were in the low 30's and highs in the high 40s/low 50s for half the week. They still opened the pools, but they were opened later and closed earlier. I don't remember exactly, but they opened maybe 10/11 and were closed by 5/6 (I know for sure they were closing them as the sun was down). It actually wasn't too bad to swim in them. They keep them warm. Putting your head under then bringing it back up made your face cold. Getting out and the walk to the room was frigid though! Went right into a hot shower.

We were there a few years ago when the lows were in the low 30's and highs in the high 40s/low 50s for half the week. They still opened the pools, but they were opened later and closed earlier. I don't remember exactly, but they opened maybe 10/11 and were closed by 5/6 (I know for sure they were closing them as the sun was down). It actually wasn't too bad to swim in them. They keep them warm. Putting your head under then bringing it back up made your face cold. Getting out and the walk to the room was frigid though! Went right into a hot shower.
I imagine we will still go swimming as long as the pool is open. I planned a whole day for relaxing by the pool and we have a brunch at 1900 PF so we will definitely use the pool. Maybe we will need to bring robes! lol

First time poster, first time staying at Disney.

Welcome to the DIS!!! :welcome:

We'll be staying at POP in August and I have a few questions. Hoping someone can provide me with some information.

We are going down with 1 other family (actually, might be 2 additional families). We each have 2 adults, 2 children. What is the best way to ask for rooms near each other?

Call the Main Reservations line, provide the CM with the reservation numbers of all parties, ask the CM to link the reservations as "traveling with" and then ask to have a request entered on each reservation to be near each other.

It does not really have to be adjoining or connecting, but same building/floor/section would be OK. Also, is it possible, with asking for rooms near eachother to still ask for a specific building? With being 80's babies we are thinking we want one of the 80's buildings :)

It's possible. Just realize the more requests made the harder to get them granted. So just list them in order of preference.

Also, how far in advance should we be making these requests?

Requests can be made any time from the day you book up until 4-5 days before you arrive. When within that time frame makes no difference.

You know I'm a little concerned because of the record lows there right now....but you just never know do you. I'm bringing a bit of everything, just in case.

I'm with you! When I woke up the temp was showing that it felt like -4oC. Trying to figure out if we might need our winter coats but hoping not! Looks like it might warm up before our trip in 9 days.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I've following this 24-day forecast LOL I just want to see if there are any weather patterns:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/orlando/forecast/

I'm not so worried about the day times, it's once it gets dark is what I'm concerned about!

It has been chilly, for sure. There were people in the pool as I was coming back from MK today, but they were all staying low in the water to stay warm. The parks weren’t bad so long as you dressed for it. I still recommend layers. Yesterday I wore a polo shirt under a lightweight pullover sweater with a fleece hoodie on top, and was plenty warm. Today I just wore a tee shirt and a hoodie, and was fine. It is supposed to be much warmer next week.

I didn’t have any issues with transportation this trip. They have been painting the big Pop signs at the bus stops, so they have been moving one stop to the far end each day. They they were doing the Studios stop today, which just leaves the Springs stop and the alternate spot at the end. They were really covering AK one day though. In the ten minutes I waited for an Epcot bus, FIVE AK buses came in, two of them at the same time! One pulled in, and the other one circled the parking lot until the first one left and then it pulled in. I don’t know if something special was going on at AK that day or if dispatch just got really confused. I doubt if there were a dozen riders total between the five buses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!