Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a 9 night stay at the Lodge and all we can say is wow. We were impressed with basically everything from the time we came to the time we left. Transportation was nearly never an issue - we only had one time where the Epcot bus took forever due to apparent miscommunications within the system. We loved the boat ride to and from MK and never waited long going or coming from either way. We had a courtyard view on the 6th floor which had a dormer balcony but honestly didn't bother us one bit. We actually felt it to be more private. We enjoyed multiple days next to the new boulder ridge pool as well as some time at Geyser point. Our walk to roaring fork/the lobby from our room might have been 2 minutes max? And distance to transportation was never bad either. This is no doubt our new favorite resort. We tried to book it with the current bounce back they were offered but both the free dining and discount they were offering were all sold out for WL so sadly our next stay will be at AKL to reap some benefits. Any other questions since we were just there - just ask. I miss it already :(

What is the closest & nicest grocery store to WL?
WL has a large grocery section in the back of the resort store/gift shop. For a regular grocery store I prefer Publix. There’s one across the street from the Premium Outlet Mall.

Just got back from a 9 night stay at the Lodge and all we can say is wow. We were impressed with basically everything from the time we came to the time we left. Transportation was nearly never an issue - we only had one time where the Epcot bus took forever due to apparent miscommunications within the system. We loved the boat ride to and from MK and never waited long going or coming from either way. We had a courtyard view on the 6th floor which had a dormer balcony but honestly didn't bother us one bit. We actually felt it to be more private. We enjoyed multiple days next to the new boulder ridge pool as well as some time at Geyser point. Our walk to roaring fork/the lobby from our room might have been 2 minutes max? And distance to transportation was never bad either. This is no doubt our new favorite resort. We tried to book it with the current bounce back they were offered but both the free dining and discount they were offering were all sold out for WL so sadly our next stay will be at AKL to reap some benefits. Any other questions since we were just there - just ask. I miss it already :(
Great to hear! We leave tomorrow for our first stay at WL!

I would consider it one! Just because they're brand new and fewer have stayed in them compared to the original VWL rooms. Can you answer if the bed was a regular spring type mattress or something more similar to foam? I'm just curious because I saw someone say it was a foam mattress in another thread but haven't been able to confirm.

I really hope they're not switching to foam mattresses. Some people -- like me -- are allergic and that would end our trips to WDW. I hope they're sticking with something quality that won't potentially harm a portion of their guests.

Got a question, anyone got any comments on transportation back and forth from MK on 12/30? Is it really bad?
Right now we are booked over at CR in a Garden Room but DH would rather be at WL for the night. I'm leaning to CR so we can walk back and forth. But if the transportation, either boat or bus, to WL isn't too bad I'm willing to switch (saves a little money too). Our plans are to head over about 10:00, stay till 4:00, go to the resort for a nap and then head back about 7:00/8:00 and stay through till 2:00 am.

I can't speak for the 30th but we had no trouble with transportation to/from WL last year NYE-January 8th. The buses rarely were shared (maybe with Fort Wilderness) and the boat to MK was great, never a problem and no waits over 10 minutes. Returning this year.

Got a question, anyone got any comments on transportation back and forth from MK on 12/30? Is it really bad?
Right now we are booked over at CR in a Garden Room but DH would rather be at WL for the night. I'm leaning to CR so we can walk back and forth. But if the transportation, either boat or bus, to WL isn't too bad I'm willing to switch (saves a little money too). Our plans are to head over about 10:00, stay till 4:00, go to the resort for a nap and then head back about 7:00/8:00 and stay through till 2:00 am.

Of the MK area resorts, other than The Contemporary, we have found WL to be the most convenient for traveling back and forth from MK.

I've seen conflicting information regarding the studio units at the resort (for DVC rental). As we have 5 people, the size of the pull out sleeper makes a bit of a difference... is the pull out queen or double size? Thanks!

I'm toying with the idea of WL for a future trip, but I have a few questions for the experts. I've stayed there once, but it was over 20 years ago when I was 12 (my very first Disney trip).

How is the pool? For those who have stayed at both WL and AKL, how does the pool and slide compare?

Do the rooms and lobby look as worn/outdated in person as they do in pictures?

Does the room safe lock with a key or keypad?

I know experiences can vary greatly, but for those who have stayed at both, does the bus service typically seem as bad as AKL?

I've seen conflicting information regarding the studio units at the resort (for DVC rental). As we have 5 people, the size of the pull out sleeper makes a bit of a difference... is the pull out queen or double size? Thanks!

The pullout bed is small, best for a young adult under 6” tall in my opinion. We have slept 5 adults in the studio before. As long as you aren’t spending a whole lot of time in the room it is fine. Once you open the sofa bed there is not much floor space remaining. The sofa bed will comfortably enough sleep two adults.

I can't speak for the 30th but we had no trouble with transportation to/from WL last year NYE-January 8th. The buses rarely were shared (maybe with Fort Wilderness) and the boat to MK was great, never a problem and no waits over 10 minutes. Returning this year.
Thank you! This is good news. We'd only be there on the 30th and only going to MK. Boat is our preferred method of transportation to MK and we only opt for bus if the boat is out of service for some reason

Of the MK area resorts, other than The Contemporary, we have found WL to be the most convenient for traveling back and forth from MK.
Us too. That's why I'm even giving it half a thought. DH rarely has any input on where we stay on our trips. Since he has spoken up this time I was trying to give him something he asked for. But I really didn't want to be standing in a long line getting back to the resort and regret it thinking "if only we'd stayed at CR, I would be walking now instead"

I'm toying with the idea of WL for a future trip, but I have a few questions for the experts. I've stayed there once, but it was over 20 years ago when I was 12 (my very first Disney trip).

How is the pool? For those who have stayed at both WL and AKL, how does the pool and slide compare?

I know experiences can vary greatly, but for those who have stayed at both, does the bus service typically seem as bad as AKL?
Pool, AKL gets the nod for sure, because of the zero entry. Though I haven't used the new one at WL. And haven't used the slide at either. I do think the play area for little ones is better at WL. Maybe those 2 things even each other out?

Lobby is pretty even. Same architect even. You don't have a savanna out one end so it is lacking there. But the stream running through and out the end, the to the pool area is beautiful. I don't see anything worn about the lobby at all.

Never have used a safe so no help there but I'm sure others have

We liked the pool, and now that there's two people are probably spread out a bit more. Haven't been to AKL so I cannot compare.

The lobby is rustic and true to the National Parks style in which it's built. Personally, I think it looks amazing in person. Some might consider the rooms outdated and or dark. I didn't have a problem with the room at all, but we were two people and I was on a very discounted rate.

Didn't use it, so not sure.

Again, haven't stayed at AKL but I think buses are great at the Lodge. I think it all depends on whether you like the bus service in general. I like the buses, and prefer to use them as they are free and I don't have to drive in an unfamiliar area with thousands of other lost tourists.

Overall, I love Wilderness Lodge and can't wait to stay there again at some point.

Pool, AKL gets the nod for sure, because of the zero entry. Though I haven't used the new one at WL. And haven't used the slide at either. I do think the play area for little ones is better at WL. Maybe those 2 things even each other out?

Lobby is pretty even. Same architect even. You don't have a savanna out one end so it is lacking there. But the stream running through and out the end, the to the pool area is beautiful. I don't see anything worn about the lobby at all.

Never have used a safe so no help there but I'm sure others have

Thank you!

The splash area does us no good, DD8 is way too tall to be let in (even though she'd like to use it).

So overall, do you have a preference between AKL and WL?

We liked the pool, and now that there's two people are probably spread out a bit more. Haven't been to AKL so I cannot compare.

The lobby is rustic and true to the National Parks style in which it's built. Personally, I think it looks amazing in person. Some might consider the rooms outdated and or dark. I didn't have a problem with the room at all, but we were two people and I was on a very discounted rate.

Didn't use it, so not sure.

Again, haven't stayed at AKL but I think buses are great at the Lodge. I think it all depends on whether you like the bus service in general. I like the buses, and prefer to use them as they are free and I don't have to drive in an unfamiliar area with thousands of other lost tourists.

Overall, I love Wilderness Lodge and can't wait to stay there again at some point.

Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you!

The splash area does us no good, DD8 is way too tall to be let in (even though she'd like to use it).

So overall, do you have a preference between AKL and WL?
No, not really. We are big fans of both AKL and WL. Been to both numerous times. DH would give a nod to WL, it's his favorite resort of all. I would probably give a nod to AKL because I love the animals so much. If you take them out of the equation I too would pick WL. The rooms are very, very similar.
I forgot that I didn't address buses at them
I find it evens out. WL shares some with other MK area resorts, AKL shares with Kidani. AKL is slightly longer drive but if you look at maps of Disney, MK is actually sort of remote compared to the other parks anyway. You have a boat to MK from WL, which is wonderful.
I really think most folks who like one also like the other and folks who don't like one don't care much for the other. They are very similar resorts in their feel, even though the themes are pretty different

No, not really. We are big fans of both AKL and WL. Been to both numerous times. DH would give a nod to WL, it's his favorite resort of all. I would probably give a nod to AKL because I love the animals so much. If you take them out of the equation I too would pick WL. The rooms are very, very similar.
I forgot that I didn't address buses at them
I find it evens out. WL shares some with other MK area resorts, AKL shares with Kidani. AKL is slightly longer drive but if you look at maps of Disney, MK is actually sort of remote compared to the other parks anyway. You have a boat to MK from WL, which is wonderful.
I really think most folks who like one also like the other and folks who don't like one don't care much for the other. They are very similar resorts in their feel, even though the themes are pretty different

I definitely like the idea of the boat! We've stayed at FW and really enjoyed that. At AKL the drive didn't seem bad, the issue was with the long waits at the bus stop, both to and from the parks. MK in particular was the worst.

I can’t speak for 12/30, but have experience with another crowded time.

I was at MK in 5/11 and saw the last Wishes. As you can imagine, the park was completely mobbed. After Wishes, I got on a boat to WL (where I was staying). After waiting several minutes, we took off with a half full boat. I stepped onto the dock at WL at 9:31 PM. As we were pulling away from the MK, I could see the hoards heading to the busses and monorail, and very few heading to boats. It was an astonishingly relaxing experience.

Again, I’m not sure if your experience on 12/30 would be similar, but boat transport to WL seems to be some kind of hidden gem.

Again, the entire week from NYE to 8 January we visited MK 5 times using the boat and never waited more than 10 minutes on either end. The only fly in that ointment to be honest is that was when a portion of the lodge was going through renovations so the property was below capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter