Distance marker confusion

LuvMyEAR

DIS Veteran
So, is anyone else confused by the dizzying array and inconsistent application of pavement markers designed to promote physical distancing? I found myself shaking head at the video walk-through of Shanghai Disney. Stand here to observe distancing, don’t stand here to observe distancing. Further videos after the park opened showed that people seems to quickly adopt one practice and apply it, no matter which was the intended purpose. IF they complied at all.

Granted, the individual stylings are can be cute, much like the artfully created road and pathway surfaces throughout the parks BUT guests now have to decode the intent of the marker. It is already a fail, as shown by a posted (and quickly removed!!!) photo of the “Do Not Stand” markers by the Amphicars, with people only standing on the markers, the complete opposite of the directions!

I hope that Disney creates a simple and consistent of indicating appropriate space for distancing within all the parks yet to open. These are directions meant to promote safety, not a challenge. They should be intuitive enough that within minutes, we get accustomed to placing ourselves appropriately in the right space.

Attachments

• 2395664A-3A3B-4956-AEB3-231668A6F9A4.jpeg
    2395664A-3A3B-4956-AEB3-231668A6F9A4.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 28
This made me laugh a bit. I remember watching a video taken the day before (I think) opening where the VP said they did a study and saw people responded better to signs that said 'dont stand here'. Then the very next day it showed people standing on them! Just got a giggle snort out of it, you know... because it was researched to do it that way.:magnify:

So I'm thinking that because of that outcome and how people either stand on or stand off of floor signage, we could see something a bit more ... relatable to the general population lol. However its handled, I'm sure won't be a distraction ;) I'm really looking forward to seeing how innovative we will be here in the US!!

At least they are following the distancing part in that picture which is the objective... Could care less if people stand on actual stickers if they maintain the distancing aspect.
People who can't maintain distance or follow the stickers/signs are the ones who worry me.

The most confusing decal is the longer 'do not block' type boxes on the floor. They want people not to stand in that area but the are guests are intended to pass thru.

The 'No Feet' circle subliminally conveys don't walk here. Intuitively that box would make me want to walk around it, not over it.

Maybe they should write 'Walk Through' and 'No Standing' on it. How do you symbolize that in a picture?

I'm sure there's research that says otherwise, but to me, a 'Stand Here' or 'Stand within this box' approach makes more sense than a 'Don't stand here' box. Don't stand here, means I can stand anywhere but there, so you'll see crowds packed around 4 sides of an empty box, instead of their intention.

All part of our “brave new world”, right?

Something is sure to rise to the top as being the most easily and universally recognizable system, like striped crosswalks. People, being people, will still jaywalk, and unfortunately some will continue to get hit in crosswalks, but the majority of us understand that those striped lines indicate a crossing. It will just take us a while to adjust.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter