DL & DCA -Disability Access Service Card- Post 1 update 12/7/14 DAS tied to ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe have someone else from your party get the return time with the new card so your son doesn't have to go near the ride until it's time

Unfortunately the August trip would be just myself and my DS8 and DS5. It's not the being near the ride, it's needing x ride. We can be at Midway and he will want splash and there's no way to change his mind and he won't budge until after he's been on splash.

Does anyone know how it works with a cane now? My mom has a cane and can not do stairs. In the past at DL she just went to the exit at rides and was let on or waited in the line at the exit. Will she now be given a WC return card?

Does anyone know how it works with a cane now? My mom has a cane and can not do stairs. In the past at DL she just went to the exit at rides and was let on or waited in the line at the exit. Will she now be given a WC return card?

She would not get a DAS with a cane, unless there are other issues that are not addressed by having the cane and that could not be addressed by using a wheelchair or ECV. At attractions with a mainstreamed queue, she would be expected to wait in the queue up until the stairs, then directed the same way as those with a wheelchair. For attractions where there is a separate wheelchair entrance, she would be given a card at each attraction with a return time on it, based on the length of the line. So, let's say she wanted to ride Peter Pan (has a couple of steps in the queue as I recall), she would go to the exit, they would then give her a return time and she would come back at that time and wait for maybe 5-10 minutes upon returning, depending on how many people came back at the exact same time.

My cousin is dying of cancer. She's 41. She has only a few months left to live. She has a 5yo son and she wants to go to Disneyland next week. They already have their airline tickets. While she can walk and see and hear today- this could change at any time (it's brain cancer and it's affecting her abilities daily).

My question is- she gets tired VERY easily (reason she chose DL- smaller park than DW). Would she be able to get a disability access card based on her lack of ability to stand in line for long periods of time?

My cousin is dying of cancer. She's 41. She has only a few months left to live. She has a 5yo son and she wants to go to Disneyland next week. They already have their airline tickets. While she can walk and see and hear today- this could change at any time (it's brain cancer and it's affecting her abilities daily).

My question is- she gets tired VERY easily (reason she chose DL- smaller park than DW). Would she be able to get a disability access card based on her lack of ability to stand in line for long periods of time?
The accommodation for not being able to stand in line is to use a wheelchair.
For some people, that is the only accommodation they need and they would NOT get a DAS. Guests don't need a DAS to use a wheelchair or mobility scooter in line.
But, other people have needs related to the line that are not just 'standing in line' and a wheelchair or CV in line is not enough for them. Those guests need to explain their needs that are not met by the wheelchair. So, have her think of what other issues she would have either waiting in line. That is what she will need to be able to explain to the CMs in a Guest Relations.

My mom has Lupus and does not do so well standing still... I wonder if this is going to be approved or not. We are also debating getting her a scooter at MK but she wants to wait until she is tired... I think she should just get one because they could be gone.

Well, I'm in a scooter and have DAS. I was made to get out of the scooter and get into the FP line. I was offered a wheelchair, but DMIL is also mobility impaired and they only had one wheelchair. I told them I would have a difficult time loading on a moving belt, but was told, they no longer accommodate guests, who need extra time boarding. I had to walk and load...told to hurry up. I almost fell on the belt, so they had to stop it. It was pretty humiliating. Several rides had only one wheelchair available.

Our Disney days may be behind us.

:hug: I know, it's hard. DMIL has Alzheimer's. Often, she is disrespected and treated, as if, she is just nasty, grouchy and old. The reality...she doesn't understand and no amount of arguing with her helps the situation. Actually, it makes matters worse.

I just reserved an ECV for my July trip. I hope I can give a report on mobility issues when I get back. Half the trip won't be a true test since it will be with an ABD tour, but I will have 4 1/2 days after tha in the parks. I reserved with Deckert after Orange County never responded with a quote.

Anything anyone wants me to look out for or report on specifically?

Just FYI, I have arthritis in my knee and am asthmatic. Not enough stamina for nearly a week of park touring especially having the fast pace of an ABD tour.

A couple new things today. They can now reuse your picture and for APs, they make the pass valid for two months which has greatly reduced the length of the line at guest relations.

A couple new things today. They can now reuse your picture and for APs, they make the pass valid for two months which has greatly reduced the length of the line at guest relations.
I can confirm both of these as having begun in April.
DAS can be issued for up to 60 days, which may be a few days less than 2 months, depending on the months.
The codes for accessing the individual file where the name and picture are stored were present from the beginning, but they were not ready to use them until recently. That does help speed things along.

The information is in the first post of this thread.

I can confirm both of these as having begun in April.
DAS can be issued for up to 60 days, which may be a few days less than 2 months, depending on the months.
The codes for accessing the individual file where the name and picture are stored were present from the beginning, but they were not ready to use them until recently. That does help speed things along.

The information is in the first post of this thread.

I must have last renewed just before this went into effect. I will admit having it valid for two months at a time makes it a lot more likely for me to go ore often. There have been a couple of times where I had to renew my pass and between that and the crowds that day I decided it just want worth the hassle partially because the line at guest relations would have been about an hour long and I couldn't stand there for that long. So, I see this as a major step in the right direction.

Now there were some issues yesterday, such as my dad who has leukemia and a very low white blood cell count due to his treatments needing to avoid the queues as much as possible. We had no problems with him getting the DAS for our party of 10, using it was a different story. Granted it was one attraction, but it does show that they need some retraining. We went to get a return time for the little Mermaid and were told that since it was only a 10 minute wait we didn't need a return time. Ok, so we get over there and it's still posted as a 10 minute wait, so we get in line as normally at a 10 minute wait everyone is going in where the DAS card holders would go. Well, they had the extended queue up and no one assisting DAS card holders. The line was also longer than 10 minutes. The person that was supposed to be outside was inside the building and refused to come out to help us. I did speak with the lead and they gave us passes for later use, but the point is the accommodations need to be there, even when the line is short, as it's not always just the length of the line that is the problem. For me that extended queue wouldn't be a problem, but for my Dad's situation it just added to possible exposure to illnesses.

And then our friend who was with us has a service dog and everywhere she went to take him to a relief area, CMS were telling her she wasn't allowed there, despite the fact that guest relations has told her that anywhere with a gate that she can open into a grassy area is somewhere that can be used as a relief area, so long as the gate isn't locked. One even threatened to call security. If it were me, I probably would have let them call and explain what guest relations has said previously. But bottom line is if there is a new rule that says only where marked, then with present construction there are no relief areas in DCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!