DL in the rain?? Help!

Thanks! These are helpful details. I live in Seattle, so have the gear and will bring it. But it is disappointing! I need to start planning Sept/Oct trips (I much prefer the heat to rain).

We usually book a CA trip for midwinter or spring break for a dose of sun!

Crazy right? You always hear how it almost never rains in SoCal but we've done 3 San Diego trips in the last 12 months and we've had at least 1 or 2 rainy days every trip. We also had a 5-day DL trip that we cancelled at the last minute back in mid-January due to rain. Couple days out we could see weather reports getting worse and worse and we gave up. After watching some live feed youtubers in the parks during what would have been our trip I was soooo thankful we cancelled because it was POURING for 3 or 4 days straight! :sad2:

I wouldn’t it say never rains in SoCal, but you take your chances in the winter months. Dec/Jan/Feb are typically the wettest months averaging 2-3 inches each month. These last two years have been wetter than usual though.

Last edited:
You always hear how it almost never rains in SoCal....
It's mostly people who don't live in CA who make that ridiculous comment about 'never raining'

Literally every winter I've been alive it rains many times throughout Orange County and having worked at Disney before cell phones took over we closed early at least a few times every winter season- without social media I guess people simply forget about the past.

I know it's not the same as Florida hurricanes but rain shouldn't surprise CA visitors. :earsboy:

Last edited:

It's mostly people who don't live in CA who make that ridiculous comment about 'never raining'

Literally every winter I've been alive it rains many times throughout Orange County and having worked at Disney before cell phones took over we closed early at least a few times every winter season- without social media I guess people simply forget about the past.

I know it's not the same as Florida hurricanes but rain shouldn't surprise CA visitors. :earsboy:
The reverse could be said about WA.

It rains there all the time, it is cold, no sunshine etc. Not true y'all.

Hmm.... Let's see what Disboards people have to say about the rain frequency......

You are correct that we as a state are not prepared for extreme weather, in part because we very rarely get it.
On the other hand, it only rains as hard as it did on Thursday about once a year in Southern California.
Anyway, I hope the rain helped the crops and vegetation around the area since rain is so rare in SoCal.
thats an interesting thought, and i as well will be curious to know....It rains so rarely in SoCal that i wonder if it would actually depress turnout....
If it rains at Uva, you try not to get wet under the umbrellas, but it rarely rains.
It hardly ever really rains here!!! When they say 'rain' it's usually sprinkles!!
You've gotten lots of good advice about IF it rains....
But, keep in mind, that it may not rain at all.
Haven't you heard? It never rains in southern California. ;)

I want full sun 365 days a year as promised! J/K, it's just that you think of SoCal as that way. Suppose its like how outsiders think my home state of Idaho is just one giant pile of potatoes. :P

One of the forecasts shows thunderstorms in the afternoon on Friday. In addition to the normal rain closures- what else closes? Anything else to think about? We will probably head to the hotel for a break if it’s too close!

I did just go to REI to get some new rain gear, so hopefully outlaying a bunch of cash keeps the rain away 🤣

One of the forecasts shows thunderstorms in the afternoon on Friday. In addition to the normal rain closures- what else closes? Anything else to think about? We will probably head to the hotel for a break if it’s too close!

I did just go to REI to get some new rain gear, so hopefully outlaying a bunch of cash keeps the rain away 🤣
This past weekend they didn't have the parades. Some of the more slippery walk areas were roped off. The characters were in protected spaces. Otherwise, it was pretty much business as usual. You might spend some time in the Animation Academy in DCA. That's a good place to hang out when the weather isn't cooperating.

Mickey & Minnie after WOC on Saturday
1712115654435.png

Traveling from quite the distance to visit DL/DCA this coming weekend 3/30-3/31 and the weather forecast looks terrible- rain and 50's/60's. Talk me off the ledge here- any tips/tricks to make the best out of bad weather days in the parks? Concerned that many things that we were looking forward to riding (eg Incredicoaster, BTMRR, RSR, etc) will not run in the rain.
So Meets1, how did it go? Did any of the advice from this thread help?

I often go to DLR in Jan because that's my birthday month. I also go every year in Dec. It's quite likely at least one of my days in either month will have rain. Usually it's a passing thing--it might rain hard but then stop and clear up. It might be a light rain. Sometimes, and it seems like this happens a lot more often now than it used to, it's a deluge. I know from experience that it happens more than a lot of people think, but in general, the rain doesn't usually stick around for long, or at least it didn't used to.

But things are changing, as we all know. Weather isn't as predictable as it once was. Heavy flooding and snowfall in SoCal was all over the news this year.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) is that this was an El Nino year, when greater than normal rainfall is expected. From what the scientists have been seeing, we may be getting stronger forms of that from now on and possibly more frequent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter