DL Tour with 4.5 YO: "Grand Circle" vs "Walk In Walt's Footsteps"

dclDream2018

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done any of the Disneyland tours - "The Grand Circle" or "Walk in Walt's Footsteps," and if so, have any thoughts on whether a (generally well behaved) 4.5 year old would keep up?

Agree that both those tours are not likely to entertain a 4.5 yo. And a bored 4.5 yo could be a distraction for the other guests on the tour. Both tours involve a lot of history and a lot of walking. We've been on tours with bored kids, ranging in age from quite small to teenagers and ranging from well to very poorly behaved. Even when the kids were older and well behaved, it was evident to the guide and to the other tour guests that the kids were not happy participants. This can be increasingly distracting for all, especially as the tour goes on.

Last edited:
I did Walk in Walts and I think it would be very long and boring for a child that age. From what I've read, the Grand Circle Tour would also be long and boring for a young child.

Having done the Walt tour this last January, and having a 5yo grandson I see often, in no way would I spend $90+ on he tour for any kid--or even a teen if they aren't in love with Disney. There is no way my grandson would be able to behave for 3.5 hours of walking and talking!

I did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour over the summer with my 11 and almost 10 year old daughters who are very well behaved and very interested in all things Walt and Disney. My younger one started to get a little bored near the end when we were in the apartment. It just started to drag on for her and our guide for that portion wasn’t the most well-spoken and interesting. She also got bored during the Lincoln presentation because we had just done that the last trip and were hoping for another front of the line ride instead of it. That being said we all loved the tour overall and recommend it for kids that age and older who are also very well behaved and interested in the subject. I dont think it would be appropriate for a 4.5 year old, even an extremely well behaved one. We plan to do the Grand Circle tour next month, so I can’t speak specifically to that one though I imagine the special train ride, donuts and shorter two hour length would potentially be a good fit.

I would not recommend the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour for anyone under 10 and that could still be pushing it - my DD was in grade 6 when we did it and she had already read a lot about Walt and was a big fan so very interested. My son who would have been 10 at the time would have been bored out of his mind! Unless your child is very well behaved when very bored and perhaps tired from all the walking, I'd not do a tour at DLR.

My 9-year-old was very interested at the start of WiWF, but, by the end of our 12:30 tour was both very tired and VERY hungry - you don't eat until the end, so, if you're doing a later tour, make sure you get food before-hand! She lost interest in the last hour or so. Note: Our tour was one of the last ones that still did the Royal Suite, which she LOVED. I don't know that she'd have been as interested in Walt's apartment, regardless of the history. The magic of the Royal Suite really captured her imagination.

Has anyone done any of the Disneyland tours - "The Grand Circle" or "Walk in Walt's Footsteps," and if so, have any thoughts on whether a (generally well behaved) 4.5 year old would keep up?
While several polite posts have said a 4.5 year old will be bored, I'll be more blunt:
It's inconsiderate to other guests to take a young child on a these tours.

A somewhat related example:
I have taken the Art of the Craft tour of the Grand Californian several times. This tour is recommended for 12 and over, but there is no enforced age restriction. A family brought 2 toddlers and a baby (in stroller) on the tour, which created a significant distraction -- reducing the overall "content" of the tour for other guests.

If there are 2 of you maybe this can be free time for you and the other person and child can continue in the parks.

If there are 2 of you maybe this can be free time for you and the other person and child can continue in the parks.

I was wondering about this, too. Maybe this could be a trade off time where one parent does a tour one time and the other parent does the tour later or the next day? Then the 4.5 yo will get special one on one time with each parent separately, which can be lots of fun and make great memories for both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter