Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

On second thought I agree that doing it (using Magical Express for luggage only) would be "at your own risk."

Like this: If neither the guest nor the luggage is transported by DME then DME might not take responsibility simply because yellow tags were affixed to the luggage. You could say that such guest was not a DME guest.

I suppose that any paid claims relating to DME and also to various other dealings with Disney are under nondisclosure agreements hence little information about such is available.

In addition, in the name of efficiency, DME has stopped asking at the welcoming area how many bags you have (asked of each and every party) in favor of letting things slip until a guest reports non-receipt of a bag from DME (very few parties). This chops out a big chunk of work proactively trying to locate bags (lots) that merely arrive in Orlando on the next flight although subjecting guests (few) to additional waits because DME itself misdirected a bag within WDW.

Last edited:
On second thought I agree that doing it (using Magical Express for luggage only) would be "at your own risk."

Like this: If neither the guest nor the luggage is transported by DME then DME might not take responsibility simply because yellow tags were affixed to the luggage. You could say that such guest was not a DME guest.

I suppose that any paid claims relating to DME and also to various other dealings with Disney are under nondisclosure agreements hence little information about such is available.

In addition, in the name of efficiency, DME has stopped asking at the welcoming area how many bags you have (asked of each and every party) in favor of letting things slip until a guest reports non-receipt of a bag from DME (very few parties). This chops out a big chunk of work proactively trying to locate bags (lots) that merely arrive in Orlando on the next flight although subjecting guests (few) to additional waits because DME itself misdirected a bag within WDW.
DME doesn't actually do anything with the bags at all. Bags Inc does. Could it be Mears, who handles ME and Bags, Inc, who handles bags, don't report to each other? No reason for Mears to know how many bags you have if they aren't handling them. Honestly don't know if they used to do it themselves or what.

But yes, the bold is the way I look at it. We do use ME (DH loves ME and wants to ride it to Disney, me, eh, I'm mixed about it)
There's been a few unusual circumstances when we didn't but we did use our yellow tags but that's not our norm. I did do that with the mindset of it being at our own risk. I wasn't worried at all but wasn't going to blame Disney if it went wrong.

Here's my issue...if they don't know how many bags you checked, there is no way they are going to know if a bag has been misdirected. Let's say you arrive at MCO around 11am, you've tagged your family's 6 bags. You go to DME, and head to WDW, safe in the knowledge that your bags are being take care of. Your room isn't ready yet, so you leave your carry on bags with Bell Services, and head to a park. You return to the resort after dinner, around 8:30ish. You go to your now ready room, carry on bags in hand. You find 5 bags sitting there, inside the door! Ah, where's the 6th bag? Who knows. So you call down to Bell Services. And at this point? Who knows what happens. The airline is going to tell you that the time for reporting a missing bag has passed. You can report it and if it turns up, fine. But, I'm not sure how actively they are going to look for it. And Disney? I've had a bag sent to Pop, at 5pm, only to have it sit there until 1am, while I'm at POR!!! And I called down about it 3 times!!! So, not sure how much help Disney is going to be!!

Though, even if you ride the bus, they aren't going to know you how many bags you had then either, right? Disney will have no knowledge about your bags no matter if you ride the bus or if you don't ride the bus. There is likely some record of how many yellow tags were issued but with resort changes and such we have had way more yellow tags issued to us than we've ever used so that doesn't really tell them anything useful.

I realize they can look and say you never rode the bus, so you are SOL, just saying that initially, they won't know you had 6 bags either way.

DME doesn't actually do anything with the bags at all. Bags Inc does. Could it be Mears, who handles ME and Bags, Inc, who handles bags, don't report to each other? .
Going to Disney, baggage handling is considered part of Magical Express. There is no compelling need for Mears (which operates the buses) and the company that delivers the bags to report to each other. The DME guest's final destination, which is also where he would file baggage claims, is his resort. The number of bags the guest had will finally become known when the guest shows his airline issued claim checks.

Even if DME got a bag count from you at the welcoming area, they could not commence a baggage claim with your airline because they do not have your claim checks.

Going home, baggage handling out of the resort is done by BAGS, Inc. Again, there is no compelling need for Mears and BAGS to report to each other. Any baggage claims would also be filed at the guest's final destination, here, generally his hometown airport.

Last edited:

Going to Disney, baggage handling is considered part of Magical Express. The significant point is that from the DME guest's point of view, the bags were supposed to travel with the guest (okay, following the guest's routing in space and time exactly, approximately or vaguely) and when this fails then the guest has recourse at his final destination (his resort) with the entity that was supposed to bring the bags there.

Going home, baggage handling out of the resort is done by BAGS, Inc. The same sentence above beginning "The significant point ..." applies except replace "his resort" with "his destination, probably hometown, airport.")
Huh? Bags, Inc is the contractor that picks up and delivers the bags to Disney. Other than that, I don't understand your first sentence at all. You gotta speak blonde to me, sorry ;)

They also provide the RAC service too, yes. The do the contract both ways.

(Let me try my first sentence again.) For Magical Express to Disney the buses for guests are provided by Mears and the truck transportation for the baggage is provided by Bags, Inc.

For going home just the buses for guests are considered part of DME; they require advance reservation for a specific bus time; and they are provided by Mears. Resort Airport Check-in service does not require an advance reservation separate from your plane ticket; it is provided by Bags, Inc.; and the baggage is considered to go under airport control as it is taken at the check stand at your resort.

Though, even if you ride the bus, they aren't going to know you how many bags you had then either, right? Disney will have no knowledge about your bags no matter if you ride the bus or if you don't ride the bus. There is likely some record of how many yellow tags were issued but with resort changes and such we have had way more yellow tags issued to us than we've ever used so that doesn't really tell them anything useful.

I realize they can look and say you never rode the bus, so you are SOL, just saying that initially, they won't know you had 6 bags either way.
They used to ask how many bags you checked, and then plugged that into their system. But, it hasn't been that way in a very long time. If someone feels the need to tag their bags and then not ride the bus, so be it. Would I? I doubt it. If I'm paying to get from MCO to WDW, then I want my bags with me. If I'm using DME, then no money out of pocket and it's worth it to me to have to wait for my bags to get to me.

WE used DME in February for the Princess half weekend. From the airport, we needed to go right to the race expo because of an early dinner reservation. We used a ride share company to get to the expo and sent our bags on the DME. It worked out perfectly for us. We then took the DME back to the airport on our return home. It is a great seamless , easy experience. A great perk for staying on Disney property.

WE used DME in February for the Princess half weekend. From the airport, we needed to go right to the race expo because of an early dinner reservation. We used a ride share company to get to the expo and sent our bags on the DME. It worked out perfectly for us. We then took the DME back to the airport on our return home. It is a great seamless , easy experience. A great perk for staying on Disney property.

Half our group arrived on a later flight on our arrival day and we really wanted to get some park time in that first night so I had them take a van from MCO and just rely on DME for bag delivery to the resort. It made me a little nervous but we had no issues at all. They arrived at our resort about an hour after landing, we all headed off to Animal Kingdom and their bags were in their rooms when we got back from the park that night. Easy peasy.

Alrighty....I am joining the discussion bc I don't know what to do!

Our plane gets us into MCO at 4:40pm and we are registered to take DME. We also have a rental car that we are supposed to pick up at the Car Care Center. Our original plan was to have me, DH and DD Age 2 on DME to Pop and then DH would take the shuttle to Car Care Center while I got ourselves settled in the room. We have a ressie at Boma for 7:45 which we plan on using the car to get to....We are now considering getting the rental car at MCO instead to save time to make it to the reservation, but like many do not want to deal with the luggage situation. Making the reservation any later isn't an option for us, as DD can't handle anything later than that.

What should we do?

1) Have myself and DD take DME to POP, while DH gets the rental car at MCO and meets us POP
2) All 3 of us take DME and stick to the original plan
3) All 3 of us go to the car rental at MCO, hope & pray luggage is there that night

Additionally, if we go with option 1 or 3...would we have to check in with DME (have them scan the MBs) and then "sneak" away? If I went with option 1, I would be staying with DD and only DH would be sneaking away.

Sorry and thanks!

Alrighty....I am joining the discussion bc I don't know what to do!

Our plane gets us into MCO at 4:40pm and we are registered to take DME. We also have a rental car that we are supposed to pick up at the Car Care Center. Our original plan was to have me, DH and DD Age 2 on DME to Pop and then DH would take the shuttle to Car Care Center while I got ourselves settled in the room. We have a ressie at Boma for 7:45 which we plan on using the car to get to....We are now considering getting the rental car at MCO instead to save time to make it to the reservation, but like many do not want to deal with the luggage situation. Making the reservation any later isn't an option for us, as DD can't handle anything later than that.

What should we do?

1) Have myself and DD take DME to POP, while DH gets the rental car at MCO and meets us POP
2) All 3 of us take DME and stick to the original plan
3) All 3 of us go to the car rental at MCO, hope & pray luggage is there that night

Additionally, if we go with option 1 or 3...would we have to check in with DME (have them scan the MBs) and then "sneak" away? If I went with option 1, I would be staying with DD and only DH would be sneaking away.

Sorry and thanks!

I would look further back in posts to see if people check in or not.

The thing is, checked bags with the yellow tags are pulled from behind the scenes and put onto vans (or whatever) totally separately from the human transportation. So unless they implement a separate step of verifying that people have checked in, the bags just go.

That said, I wouldn’t make a reservation a mere three hours after landing. 3 hours sounds like a lot but when you start breaking it down it feels a LOT closer. I’d rather eat at the resort that night and make Boma another night.

Be sure to price out the car from MCO before making decisions. Sometimes it’s cheaper and sometimes it isn’t.

And if you stick with CCC, these are the hours for the shuttles:

Hours of Availability:
6:00 AM - 7:30 PM, Monday - Friday
6:00 AM - 5:30 PM, Saturday, Sunday

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/car-rental-services/

And they require a minimum of an hour’s notice that you need a ride, and an hour the last two times I’ve used them has been too short. So arrange for that shuttle well ahead of time from pop. If you stick with ccc.

PP is correct, there's currently no need to check in. The bags are taken off the plane and transported to Disney independently/separately from human transportation. There's no cross checking done so there's no need for you to check in to ME. It's even possible for the bags to be taken, sorted and on the van before you even board ME, if the bag was lucky enough to hit the right cycle and you happen to stop for a bathroom break, change of clothes and grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

If you do stick with a reservation on arrival day keep up with everything and be ready to change it if you are behind. After all, you can't control flight arrival times, you could have a delay there and throws it all off. I will sometimes make an ADR on arrival day but it's never something that is a must do and always something I can easily move if needed.

Can Someone please verify some facts for me, I will be going to Disney and I purposely booked late returning flights, so I could to stay in the bubble as long as possible. I'll be flying out using southwest. I checked disney's web site and southwest is a participate in the Resort Airline Checkin (RAC). So on the day of departure and I take all my luggage to the Resort Airline Checkin stand in the morning and check it all in. Go to the park for the day, taking a uber to the Airport directly from the park. My next question is how much time should I leave to get to the Airport before my flight(the whole family is TSA pre checked). Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Can Someone please verify some facts for me, I will be going to Disney and I purposely booked late returning flights, so I could to stay in the bubble as long as possible. I'll be flying out using southwest. I checked disney's web site and southwest is a participate in the Resort Airline Checkin (RAC). So on the day of departure and I take all my luggage to the Resort Airline Checkin stand in the morning and check it all in. Go to the park for the day, taking a uber to the Airport directly from the park. My next question is how much time should I leave to get to the Airport before my flight(the whole family is TSA pre checked). Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Yep, you've got it right. I would get Uber between 1.5 and 2 hrs prior to boarding

Yep, you've got it right. I would get Uber between 1.5 and 2 hrs prior to boarding
Yep, that gives you plenty of time. We do it all the time, even when we have to check bags (when we have been at Universal) since we use curbside check in vs going inside

The key word here is 'boarding'.....which is usually 30-40 minutes prior to departure.

Personally, I don't like to cut it that close. I would rather have extra time than to be worried about being late. If it where me I would be leaving WDW property no later than 2hr and 45min before flight departure time. MCO is large, busy and things there are unpredictable. Even the TSA pre check line can be 30 minutes long. Depending on how late in the evening the flight is you may also need to allow additional time for traffic.

The key word here is 'boarding'.....which is usually 30-40 minutes prior to departure.

Personally, I don't like to cut it that close. I would rather have extra time than to be worried about being late. If it where me I would be leaving WDW property no later than 2hr and 45min before flight departure time. MCO is large, busy and things there are unpredictable. Even the TSA pre check line can be 30 minutes long. Depending on how late in the evening the flight is you may also need to allow additional time for traffic.

We rather be early too. There have been plenty of times that it took us over a half an hour to get through security. It is hit and miss at MCO. TO me the extra 30-60 minutes at the park is not worth the hassle of missing our flight.

In nearly 20 flights out of MCO since getting TSA Precheck it's never taken 30 min to get through security. I guess it's possible but sure would be an extreme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter